Author Topic: In-home streaming video games (Steam)  (Read 1817 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
In-home streaming video games (Steam)
« on: December 20, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
Wife and daughter gave me a Civilization VI game for my birthday a month ago.  It won't run on any of my laptops, but will run on the desktop computer with an uncomfortable chair and a crappy monitor.

Sunday night I figured out that I could stream it from the desktop to a laptop (wireless G network) and it worked surprisingly well, and I got the higher resolution of the laptop screen and a comfy chair too.  There was no lag, and no stuttering, it was just like playing the game locally on a laptop that could handle it.

Last night I tried it again, to continue the game that I started, and it doesn't work.  I can make the connection, then as the game is starting up the sound gets all wonky (imagine music being pixelated to hide the naughty bits) and then the wireless connection drops.  From the laptop's perspective, it looks like the wireless router crashed, rebooted, and then has to reconnect.  (the router's SSID drops off the available networks screen)  I don't know yet if the desktop loses connection, nor if the router is really rebooting.

It worked once, that's the confusing part.

Would running an Ethernet cable to the desktop help?  It's not an easy cable run, but I've been thinking about doing that anyway.

ETA: What about running an Ethernet cable from the desktop to the laptop directly w/o going thru the router?  About 20 feet.  Would that have to be a crossover cable, or can Ethernet adapters handle that themselves now?
"It's good, though..."

Marnoot

• friend
Re: In-home streaming video games (Steam)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 04:43:45 PM »
For video game streaming like that you're guaranteed a much better experience with a cable. I've gotten wireless to work for it before, but it's not reliable, and in my experience doesn't-work more often than it works. If you cable straight from desktop to laptop, it will need to be a crossover cable or have a crossover adapter, or you could buy a cheap desktop ethernet switch and plug them both into that. You'll have to mess with static IP/gateway settings if you do that. Having at least one device wired and the other wireless will make it more likely to work, but you're still subject to issues.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »
The vast majority of NICs and switches these days auto-detect TX/RX, and gigabit ports by definition do so, so it won't matter if the cable is wired one way or not

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:54:13 AM »
I would also add that if your network is still running on G, its probably time to upgrade if you're able. This is a screaming deal on a nice piece of kit, especially if you use coupon code WIFI40.:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-accessories/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router?icid=WMD_TM_Q416HLDY_4YZEIEPFNP7115

I've got a couple on the way.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
Always run a cable if you can. My Xbox sits right next to a wireless router and I cable that.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »
The laptop has a gigabit NIC; not sure what the desktop has.  I plugged a standard Ethernet cable into both, and I couldn't figure out how to configure that network as a home or work group, but it doesn't seem to matter.  Steam found it and apparently uses it because the game streams w/o a hitch with the cable and crashes if I unplug it.

I haven't tried using Ethernet just for the desktop/server and wireless for the laptop.  That would be ideal if it works, but running a cable across the room is not a big problem, just means I can't stream it upstairs.

I'll also look into getting a new router.  (I don't understand what that CellSpot router is, a micro cell tower plus WIFI?)

ETA: I just tried Ethernet from the desktop to the router, and wireless for the laptop.  Streaming worked great.  The cable strung across the ceiling looks trashy, but it's in the basement and my whole basement looks trashy right now anyway :lol:  So it's a good temporary solution.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:13:13 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 03:57:26 PM »
  (I don't understand what that CellSpot router is, a micro cell tower plus WIFI?)

Its actually just an Asus ac1900 with slightly customized firmware. You can run it as is, or follow the directions in this thread to flash it back to stock.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9330575-asus-tm-ac1900-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-59-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

To me, its worth a little bit of effort to save the $100.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 05:30:46 PM »
Is this a good deal?  http://computers.woot.com/offers/edimax-ac1200-gigabit-wi-fi-router-vpn-3   $40 with shipping.

ETA: Nevermind, I just ordered one of those T-Mobile AC1900's.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:00:39 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."