Author Topic: Endangered Plants and Recreational Shooting  (Read 586 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Endangered Plants and Recreational Shooting
« on: January 19, 2020, 07:59:38 AM »
Having had to deal with this "shut down recreational shooting in National Forests" crap in CA, I thought it was more state-centric. Something pointed out in this article that I was unaware of is that US Fish & Wildlife is looking at the effects of recreational shooting on rare and endangered plants.

That's a little scary on a national level - at least here out West where we have tons of public shooting space - because once you start looking at " 'X' and endangered species", you get the whole, "we have to restrict seventy bajillion square miles of land to protect the seven legged purple sage cockroach" thing.

https://www.independent.com/2020/01/18/recreational-shooting-ban-extended-in-los-padres-national-forest/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Re: Endangered Plants and Recreational Shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »
If plants can’t avoid bullets, they are an evolutionary failure, and should go extinct. >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
Same-o same-o.  Throw every "choke point" you can think of at shooters to establish "friction" for the activity.

Twist things around so it sounds like a "good thng" and a noble goal.

Clever bastiges, ain't they?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 01:52:54 PM »
That article only mentions wild fire concerns. 

Has anyone done testing using bullets with steel penetrators and/or tracer rounds on dry leaves and rocks?

Also...
Under the ban, shooting a firearm is only allowed in permitted shooting ranges like Winchester Canyon Gun Club and Ojai Valley Gun Club. About two dozen indoor and outdoor ranges exist in the area as well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:55:13 PM »
I'm so used to public lands not allowing recreational shooting, except at a dedicated firearm range.

I understand here, as my father's generation used to shoot a lot of places outdoors, is that folks started junking the places up. Shooting up trees and leaving derelict appliances as targets.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
I'm so used to public lands not allowing recreational shooting, except at a dedicated firearm range.

I understand here, as my father's generation used to shoot a lot of places outdoors, is that folks started junking the places up. Shooting up trees and leaving derelict appliances as targets.
I think that would happen here also if it was allowed.  Too many people just don't care.  Same people who throw trash on the side of the road or leave it in their truck bed to blow out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge