Author Topic: Got autism: have a nice poop milkshake  (Read 1647 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Got autism: have a nice poop milkshake
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »
Yeah, but gut biome isn't going to affect autism.

Might help you lose weight though, but you need to get gut bacteria from a skinny person, not a fat one.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 11:29:08 AM »
^^^If you clicky the blue link above, you will read the article on the research study using fecal transplants to modify the gut biome and how it has helped some cases of autism.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
Yeah, but gut biome isn't going to affect autism.

Might help you lose weight though, but you need to get gut bacteria from a skinny person, not a fat one.

Whether or not it helps is to be seen. I know a kid I would like to get enrolled in any studies they do. I can just imagine trying to get an autistic kid to willingly do a daily bowel cleanse and fecal transplant for 7 to 8 weeks. That has got to be a real *expletive deleted*it storm with some of them.

bob

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
^^^If you clicky the blue link above, you will read the article on the research study using fecal transplants to modify the gut biome and how it has helped some cases of autism.

Reading the link, given the described bowel related symptoms before they began treatment, I'm not surprised that they experienced behavioral improvements if they fixed the bowel symptoms such that the kid isn't in pain, constipated, and otherwise uncomfortable all the time.

I'm wondering if there is actually a link between autism and unhealthy gut bacteria, which way it goes, etc...  Because lots of fat kids have the same problem, and they're not autistic.

Reminds me of a story about a woman with a disabled kid who had a lot of allergies.  His teacher was wondering one week why he was responding so much worse and trying to bash his head in.  Then the mother asked how much better he was doing, she'd found a new cleansing shampoo that should be making him all sorts of better.  Thing is?  Shampoo based on coconut.  What's one of the things he was allergic to?  Coconut.  Poor kid had a full scalp rash that was driving him nuts.  Get the rash treated, back to old self...

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-42183-0

Here is the actual article on the study.  I wanted to find out how they were administering the fecal transplants, but the article was short on methodology.  I thought I had read elsewhere that the current state of the art is freeze-dried poop in capsules, which is much better tolerated than running a NG tube in and administering a liquid suspension or slurry.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »
Y'know, in the future, we may find some better way of implanting/encouraging the growth of beneficial bacteria into our own biomes....

But, I'm fairly certain fecal transplants will look like witchcraft/voodoo/witchdoctory to every preceding and following generation. (You do WHAT with WHAT? In WHERE?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »
Y'know, in the future, we may find some better way of implanting/encouraging the growth of beneficial bacteria into our own biomes....

But, I'm fairly certain fecal transplants will look like witchcraft/voodoo/witchdoctory to every preceding and following generation. (You do WHAT with WHAT? In WHERE?)
Don't forget the leeches and maggots!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
Don't forget the leeches and maggots!

Actually, both have beneficial uses in medicine.
Leeches are used to promote blood flow to reattached body parts and maggots have been used to clean wounds of necrotic tissue.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/easl/79186

And also good for complications of cirrhosis, which may resonate more for this group.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
And just where does all that poop come from they want to give people you might ask. Well, they don't hang out at the local Taco Bell with a sign asking for your poop.

https://www.openbiome.org/stool-donation/

If done right you can make 13K a year, they say.

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 12:11:40 AM »
The cure sounds worse than the disease.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 10:26:56 AM »
A co-workers mother had a massive infection,  and due to the antibiotics needed to stave off the infection, she was left with essentially no gut bacteria.   She survived the infection, but was headed towards dying because she couldn't properly digest food.  They did, essentially, a pop transplant from a grandson, for a week or so.  It saved her life.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
A co-workers mother had a massive infection,  and due to the antibiotics needed to stave off the infection, she was left with essentially no gut bacteria.   She survived the infection, but was headed towards dying because she couldn't properly digest food.  They did, essentially, a pop transplant from a grandson, for a week or so.  It saved her life.

A "pop" transplant sounds better than a "poop" transplant even though I don't know what a pop transplant is.  [tinfoil] ??? ...... :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »
A "pop" transplant sounds better than a "poop" transplant even though I don't know what a pop transplant is.  [tinfoil] ??? ...... :rofl:

A pop transplant is an exchange program whereby a 2-liter of Faygo trades places with a case of Ale 8 One, just for a semester.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 12:15:28 PM »

I think Coke tried that in 1985 but it didn't work so well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
Reminds me of a story about a woman with a disabled kid who had a lot of allergies.  His teacher was wondering one week why he was responding so much worse and trying to bash his head in.  Then the mother asked how much better he was doing, she'd found a new cleansing shampoo that should be making him all sorts of better.  Thing is?  Shampoo based on coconut.  What's one of the things he was allergic to?  Coconut.  Poor kid had a full scalp rash that was driving him nuts.  Get the rash treated, back to old self...

Parent got very lucky.  One of the tales I've read over in r/justnomil on Reddit involved a MIL who covered her grandchildren in coconut oil before bed, despite being clearly told not to do so by the mother since one of the twins was allergic to it.  Child went into anaphylaxis, vomited and suffocated on the vomit.  Grandma has been cut out of the families life since.

Research on gut flora is proving interesting.  Beyond just the microbes, it may be that some of lifeforms that are normally considered parasites to be eliminated such as some species of nematodes act to keep the immune system busy and in balance.  Removal of them might be a causative factor in some autoimmune related illnesses like eczema & arthritis.   
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 11:31:35 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!