Author Topic: Anyone have experience with the Beretta Storm Compact 9mm?  (Read 503 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Anyone have experience with the Beretta Storm Compact 9mm?
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:44:50 PM »
I've got a SIG P232 that's a pure safe queen...loved it's looks but never enjoyed shooting it.  Buddy has a lust for the gun, and has offered me my choice of three guns from his safe... A Ruger LC9, a 4" Ruger GP100, and a Beretta Storm Compact 9mm.  No interest at all in the LC9, only a slight interest in the magnum, but the Beretta intrigues me.  Read about them, the rotating barrel.  Some good reviews, with a lot of people comparing it to the Glock 19 for size.  I've also noticed that "the experts" seem to be trending away from the striker guns to the old DA/SA for some reason (although for appendix carry, I see the point.  If I was holstering pointing at my groin, I think I'd want a safety.

Anyone with any experience with one of these pistols?  Price seems like it's pretty equivalent to my SIG.  He's offering it with a tac light for the rail, which I'd be interested in playing with.  Any thoughts?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Anyone have experience with the Beretta Storm Compact 9mm?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:18:02 AM »
Have both the full size and the compact and I converted both from F (decocker/safety) to G (decocker only). Have looked at the sub compact as well but passed on it.

Don't have time to type any more right so I will get back to this in the morning.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »
I previously owned the full-size in .40 and currently own the full-size in 9x19mm.  Both are boringly reliable and share my muscle memory with my venerable 92FS.  I think you'll be happy with the compact variety.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 07:50:45 PM »
A bit pass morning and knew I was forgetting something.
Anyhow

As I said above I have both a full size (17rd) and the compact (15rd) PX4 Storm and I might add a CX4 carbine that uses the PX4 magazine. The carbine can be converted by changing out the magazine sleeve to accepting either PX4 or 92 magazines.
I consider them to be very accurate and very soft shooting handguns with the recoil and muzzle flip seemingly lower, at least to me, than with the normal Browning tilt lock barrel guns. The rotating barrel seems to be a big help in that IMHO.
They are a little heavier and a touch bulkier than than many 9mm handguns out there so there's that to consider if their intended use is for conceal carry. They are hammer fired so that means you have the usual long heavy first double action trigger pull that put some off that are accustomed only to striker fired guns. Just something IMHO you train for. But once in single action mode the trigger is not too far off from a 1911's in crispness. Have not had, in years of shooting, the slightest hint of a malfunction with any ammo.
The safety? Well there the biggest complaint some people have about the PX4 line. They're pretty much the same setup as in the 92 series with the only difference being the feel of the safety levers. If you don't like the safety setup of the 92 then you'll probably won't like the PX4s.

The type F (safety/decocker) are by far the most common PX4s though type C (single action only), D (double action only), & G (decocker only) can be found.
Type F models can be converted to G by the removal of two parts. I have done this to both of my PX4s. As a side note 92Fs can also be converted from F to G with the addition of two parts. Beretta sells the kit for the 92Fs.
I think the compact only comes in F, I think.

I consider the PX4 line to be probably the most overlooked handgun line out.

BTW: The sub compact does not have the rotating barrel setup of the Full and compact models. It uses the almost ubiquitous Browning tilt lock setup.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:39 AM »
Thanks WLJ.  I am prior service (late 80s/early 90s) so am very familiar with the M9. I had one for a few years, and have a Smith 3914, so the slide mounted safety isn't an issue.  Sounds like quality and reliability are good, which is what I needed to know.  Sounds like a pretty good trade for my P232.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:46:07 AM »
I'm also in the hunt for a new carry gun, and the Storm recently popped up on my radar. I want to handle one, but I'm really liking the double action/single action. I'd be even happier if I could find a double action only version.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
Forgot
The PX4 line is basically an updated with a polymer frame version of the older Beretta Cougar 8000 line which is currently made by Stoeger who happens to be a subsidiary of Benelli which in turn is owned by Beretta. So if you're someone who prefers an all metal gun and likes the PX4 you may want to look at a Stoeger Cougar.
- Calvin and Hobbes