Author Topic: Why the 10mm Revolver Is a Great Idea (Return Of The S&W 610)  (Read 673 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
https://youtu.be/vX7SkkBBQQY

#TFBTV

"The 610 is back! I’m a huge fan of The Centimeter and I also have a soft spot for Smith & Wesson revolvers. So I was excited when I found out that Smith & Wesson was bringing back the 610. The Model 610 is an N frame revolver chambered in 10mm Auto but it can also shoot .40 S&W. It’s been on again off again in production since 1990 and limited numbers were made so it’s always been a bit hard to get hold of. The 610 is back in production now, though, and I got my sticky little fingers on the 6.5” version for testing. It will also be available with a 4” barrel."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Why the 10mm Revolver Is a Great Idea (Return Of The S&W 610)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »
I have an old one with a 4" tube, the 3" tube it came with is in my drawer somewhere. ;)

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:10:33 PM »
I need to get one.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:28:25 AM »
I miss mine. I had a 6.5" barrel and it was a tack driver. Traded it back to the original owner for a SRH in 454 Casul because he is a good friend and regretted selling it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »
If they ever make it in blue, and in the proper format (single piece barrel, firing pin on the hammer nose), then maybe I'll be interested.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
That looks really cool.  And with moon clips, it is even better.  I think I would go for the longer barrel myself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
The absolutely first thing to do is to get a plug and remove the internal lock. It seems the ones that like to lock up are the snappy recoiling ones. Might as well smooth up things while you are in there also.

bob

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
8 or 9 shots, modern lines, factory slotted for a mini-rds, shoots from the bottom of the cylinder, still has the good trigger pull/break, and breaks open like a Schofield all from shooting hand controls, all for under $1000.

Otherwise there's just no point.  Other than maybe making crazy hot revolver-only 10mm loads, and that's tricky as the case volume to work with is limited as compared to .44's.

Just figure out a 10mm auto that works for you.
I promise not to duck.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 07:21:17 PM »
8 or 9 shots, modern lines, factory slotted for a mini-rds, shoots from the bottom of the cylinder, still has the good trigger pull/break, and breaks open like a Schofield all from shooting hand controls, all for under $1000.

Otherwise there's just no point.  Other than maybe making crazy hot revolver-only 10mm loads, and that's tricky as the case volume to work with is limited as compared to .44's.

Just figure out a 10mm auto that works for you.

One thing you can do with a 10mm revolver you can't with a auto is to make it into a 10mm Mag. Then you are talking some fun. :)
bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
One thing you can do with a 10mm revolver you can't with a auto is to make it into a 10mm Mag. Then you are talking some fun. :)
bob

Yep, my cylinder was reemed out for 10mm mag. Starline makes the brass occasionally.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536