Author Topic: Woody Allen wants Obama as dictator for a few years  (Read 8371 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Woody Allen wants Obama as dictator for a few years
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/05/17/woody-allen-president-obama-dictator/?test=faces

Woody Allen has a strange take on the democracy that allowed him to become rich and famous.
The "Scoop" director said it would be a cool idea for President Barack Obama to be dictator for for a few years.
Why?
So he could get things done without all the hassle of opposing views getting in the way.
In an interview published by Spanish language newspaper La Vanguardia (that we translated), Allen says “I am pleased with Obama. I think he’s brilliant. The Republican Party should get out of his way and stop trying to hurt him.”
But wait - there's more!
The director said "it would be good…if he could be a dictator for a few years because he could do a lot of good things quickly."

Democrats crack me up.

483 days down, 978 days to go.  33%.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Woody Allen wants Obama as dictator for a few years
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 10:04:06 AM »
As much as I enjoyed Woody Allen's comedy flicks from the 70's, he's a moron.

He also recently reiterated his support for Roman Polanski, saying that Polanski should be left alone because he's an artist, and he didn't do anything wrong.

If that's how you view the world, then Obama certainly would look brilliant. Hell, my late dog would look brilliant, even though he's now ashes in an urn.

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »
Is there really any doubt about the Left's attitude?  They talk all the time about freedom and diversity and all sorts of flowery crap.  But the truth is pretty simple.  They don't like you living your life how you want.  They don't like you believing things they don't agree with.  And they will do what they need to to make you fit with them, freedom be damned.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:30:06 AM »
Not surprised. Yeah, I got nothing else to add, except maybe:  [barf]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
He says Obama would do a lot of good things quickly.  I guess I would have to ask him what "good" things he has done so far and what exactly is it you think he would do if he could?

Yeah, he lives in a different world than the rest of us.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
Keep talking, Woody, keep talking.  Make clear to everybody exactly what you guys on the Left have in mind.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »
As much as I enjoyed Woody Allen's comedy flicks from the 70's, he's a moron.

He also recently reiterated his support for Roman Polanski, saying that Polanski should be left alone because he's an artist, and he didn't do anything wrong.

Not surprising, given Woody's predilections.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
we're supposed to care what a man that married his daughter thinks?

Yes, but not care as in "his opinion is worthwhile and should be considered" but as in "his opinion is a frightening example of how the left thinks when the mask is down."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
There was a time when artists not only understood liberty--other than libertinism--they promoted it.  At some point nihilism began to infiltrate the arts.  Opinions differ on when.  It's disquieting to see people of legitimate artistic talent not only praising autocracy but hobnobbing with dictators.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »
Not like none of us ever secretly harbored a desire to just put our favorite politician in charge and get it over with.

What do you think all the silly 'civil war' fantasies people engage in are about?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »
unless your thinking of the che guevara nut jobs, not what you think. :facepalm:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »
Woody is a libral pergressif?

I am SHOCKED!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
My favorite "politician" is me, and I have no desire for controlling anybody. =D

My point was that there's a nasty, nihilist, sanguinary streak in even the bleedingest of the bleeding hearts today.  It's narcissism, infantilism coupled with too much money and too much access to publicity.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
Not like none of us ever secretly harbored a desire to just put our favorite politician in charge and get it over with.

What do you think all the silly 'civil war' fantasies people engage in are about?

This is true, much the same way I would be tempted to steal a z06 corvette if I saw one parked unlocked with keys in the ignition and a sign title on the passenger seat. Virtually anyone would be tempted to take that.

Those with principles would never actually do it though, much in the same way a principled politician would never seriously consider accepting the position.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 04:38:01 PM »
And it's not like Obama is actually going to be a dictator for a few years.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »
He practically is a dictator now.  Congress can't stop him.  Neither the Constitution nor a conscience impede him any.  The people can't do anything about him until November.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »
And it's not like Obama is actually going to be a dictator for a few years.

Some would say it's hyperbole to call him a dictator, some would say it's simply premature.

Personally, I think he isn't as bad as some previous presidents, but who knows what the future may hold?

He is certainly closer to one than any other president of the last few decades for sure, hence some of the hysteria.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
Some would say it's hyperbole to call him a dictator, some would say it's simply premature.

Personally, I think he isn't as bad as some previous presidents, but who knows what the future may hold?

He is certainly closer to one than any other president of the last few decades for sure, hence some of the hysteria.

It's the people he hangs around with and appoints to new contrived offices that bothers me  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »
483 days down, 978 days to go.  33%.

"a time, times and half a time"

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »
I see Jamis moved my thread from APS Roundtable to The Politics Place.  I had debated in which of those two to place it, and I settled on the Roundtable because the story shows up on Fox News under their Entertainment > Blog category, instead of a politics category.  You can see it in the URL I referenced.

Meaning ... Fox News considered it entertaining rather than politically newsworthy.  Nobody takes Woody seriously !   :laugh:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »
Nobody takes Woody seriously !   :laugh:

I don't, never seen one of his movies....

I don't give money to lefties.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 11:00:47 PM »
never seen one of his movies

Me neither and never will for sure now  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »
As I said on another forum, Allen and his ilk should just pick up some straight razors and do the world a favor...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.
--January 27, 1838

One of the few things he said that I entirely agreed with. Seemed right on, for this current situation.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."