Author Topic: Working at Wal-Mart  (Read 9724 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Working at Wal-Mart
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
http://thecollegeconservative.com/2011/12/13/my-time-at-walmart-why-we-need-serious-welfare-reform/

Interesting article by a college student working her way through school as a cashier at Wal-Mart.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Working at Wal-Mart
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »
Really reminds me of listening to my daughter rant, after coming home from working at Sav-a-lot.  Especially on Link card day.  (Link card == Ill-i-noise's food stamp system.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
Oh the stories from a family I know and their indignation that they were denied some purchases on their EBT cards.  Then they tell me about it like I am going to sympathize or something.  Tries the patience really...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:45:17 PM »

Buddy of mine worked for the state, doing accounting auditing. He told me an audit found at least one case of five living generations on Welfare. Four was somewhat common, apparently. Three was very common.  Two wasn't as common, one was common but statistically for short periods of time.

It was depressing to hear in analytical detail. I honestly don't have an issue with a program designed to help folks back onto their feet after having a really hard financial crash. But it should be solely centered around getting folks back up and on their own feet. For pride alone if nothing else.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »

It was depressing to hear in analytical detail. I honestly don't have an issue with a program designed to help folks back onto their feet after having a really hard financial crash. But it should be solely centered around getting folks back up and on their own feet. For pride alone if nothing else.

If you provide people a choice between living in abject poverty and not working, and working and somewhat improving their lot - then a small, but gradually-growing minority will choose the former. Welfare assistance for healthy people should never be indefinite.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »
I've seen some of these welfare cases at places other than Walmart . . .  [ar15]

To lighten the mood a little, here are a couple of music videos about some of the people of WalMart . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvxNgdFeWqM

I actually like the first WalMart shopper on this second music video . . .  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzwgrtdBo8
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
I'd say something, but I'd get in trouble.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
I have made the mistake of shopping @ Walmart on Saturday nights.
Always entertaining.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »
Even sadder....it a big step above the Kmart crowd.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
c) Extravagant purchases made with food stamps; including, but not limited to: steaks, lobsters, and giant birthday cakes.

I can see not needing giant sea insects and B day cakes but Steak is high quality protein & maybe the cake was on sale.

b) People using TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) money to buy such necessities such as earrings, kitkat bars, beer, WWE figurines, and, my personal favorite, a slip n’ slide. TANF money does not have restrictions like food stamps on what can be bought with it.

This I had no idea about...how do I get that??? I probably qualify as I'm only making roughly 300 a month on average :P

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
I can see not needing giant sea insects and B day cakes but Steak is high quality protein & maybe the cake was on sale.

This I had no idea about...how do I get that??? I probably qualify as I'm only making roughly 300 a month on average :P

You can get high-quality protein from a cut of beef less extravagant than porterhouse. :facepalm:

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
And from cottage cheese or other dairy.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »
When I was in college I worked at and later managed a Pizza Hut Delivery store is a small town. We alway scheduled another cook and a couple extra drivers for the welfare check days.  It was amazing the number of poor folks who had no problem ordering up $50-$70 worth of pizza. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
I assume that the EBT credits go in the same day as SS checks and gov't pensions. I have several times made the mistake of shopping around the 1st or 15th of the month in the daylight hours. Like a geezer zombie army, good luck getting a prescription that day!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 12:25:03 AM »
yup, part of the problem with the poor is the viscous cycle, if you do not have cooking utensils/kitchen/fridge then you're stuck with eating fast food.

True its better/cheaper to buy flour  but how are you going to bake bread without a pan/oven?

Sure, an overhaul is needed and there is to much fraud/abuse but we are subsidizing lots worse by giving other countries tons of our tax dollars.

afaik we are building Mosques in Saudi Arabia, we pay for Europe's defense and welfare over there makes our fraud look like we are cheapskates.

Dole folks over there put their money in credit unions, work off the books & buy houses and cars. We are paying for them to tell us how violent we are and how much better they are & BTW Obama rules.

Why do we need to give our tax dollars to corrupt hell holes? I say fix that mess first.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 01:01:35 AM »
we pay for Europe's defense and welfare over there makes our fraud look like we are cheapskates.

Dole folks over there put their money in credit unions, work off the books & buy houses and cars. We are paying for them to tell us how violent we are and how much better they are & BTW Obama rules.

Oh, they are getting their comeuppance. The Euro (currency) ain't doin' so hot, debt is breaking governments, and the European Union is looking weak.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:14:46 AM »
...part of the problem with the poor is the viscous cycle...

The poor have a problem with thick liquids? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »
Well, it's a vicious cycle, but they never learned their spellin' proper.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »
During college I spent 2 years as photo lab tech at wal-mart. You can find almost everything wrong with this country under a single roof. From management to associates to customers. It's a slice of American pie that you can choke on. WIC and LINK abuse is getting worse. More people use it, less people get off it, and I see plenty of people selling it for cash. The going rate for LINK around around here is 50% cash value.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
The poor have a problem with thick liquids? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

It's a sticky situation  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 04:40:39 AM »
I have seen more and more people on public assistance buying groceries at Walmart.  I know.  You think this is normal.  My experience was that these people always went to places like Save-A-Lot and not first tier stores.  It is changing.  The social stigma is being erased.  We're in trouble.  These people vote.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:36:30 AM »
WalMart is a first-tier store?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
WalMart is a first-tier store?

Yeah, if you visit America, go to a Sav-a-Lot or a Dollar General, and you'll see what they mean.

Walmarts, even the lousy ones, carry a heavy selection of name brand products. Walmarts are also mainly differentiated in their "experience" by the clientele and the workers, since the buildings and facilities are all pretty much even in terms of construction etc. within a few years of each other, or the last remodel. 

There are Walmarts in upscale suburban areas that are actually pleasant to shop in, because many of the employees are drawn from that area, and most of the customers are too. These stores are often "as nice as a Target."

The Sav-a-Lots and Dollar Generals, they occupy a space between Walmart and the $.99 cent stores, operate out of older leased retail spaces of various shapes and sizes, and all tend to have a sad poverty-stricken edge to them. And are filled with lower quality generic off-brand merchandise. Name brand products are usually surplus overstock that failed to sell at higher tier retailers.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »
Ladypine shops mostly at walmart because they have almost everything.  It's a one stop shop and time is precious because of a three hour round trip just to get to town.  There's always a few other stops too - gas station and ranch supply ...

We're not exactly welfare people.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
Ladypine shops mostly at walmart because they have almost everything.  It's a one stop shop and time is precious because of a three hour round trip just to get to town.  There's always a few other stops too - gas station and ranch supply ...

We're not exactly welfare people.

Yes, and Walmart's are placed in smaller rural towns, where Target or other chains don't bother.  Sometimes local mom-n-pop places suffer, however just as often, increased traffic Walmart draws can improve business too.

And those are all generally very nice as well, being staffed and patronized by the small town people.
I promise not to duck.