Author Topic: Working at Wal-Mart  (Read 9724 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Working at Wal-Mart
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »
Yes, and Walmart's are placed in smaller rural towns, where Target or other chains don't bother.  Sometimes local mom-n-pop places suffer, however just as often, increased traffic Walmart draws can improve business too.

And those are all generally very nice as well, being staffed and patronized by the small town people.
Yeah, sometimes the sporting goods people are not ignorant of guns and don't care if you buy a bunch of ammo.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
yup, part of the problem with the poor is the viscous cycle, if you do not have cooking utensils/kitchen/fridge then you're stuck with eating fast food.

True its better/cheaper to buy flour  but how are you going to bake bread without a pan/oven?

Sure, an overhaul is needed and there is to much fraud/abuse but we are subsidizing lots worse by giving other countries tons of our tax dollars.

afaik we are building Mosques in Saudi Arabia, we pay for Europe's defense and welfare over there makes our fraud look like we are cheapskates.

Dole folks over there put their money in credit unions, work off the books & buy houses and cars. We are paying for them to tell us how violent we are and how much better they are & BTW Obama rules.

Why do we need to give our tax dollars to corrupt hell holes? I say fix that mess first.
I understand the point you are attempting the make, but you aren't forced to buy fast food.  A loaf of bread and peanut butter or other non refrigerated topping is much cheaper than fast food and keeps long enough.  Cereals are cheaper than fast food.  Also, you can cook quite a bit with just a hot plate, small pot, and spoon.  And by the time you eat about 4 or 5 fast food meals, you are spending enough to buy those things.  It reminds me of the people saying old people were going to have to eat dog food if SS was cut when that is often more expensive than people food.

I would wager most of those long term welfare/food stamp users are not short of money by their standards, but make sure they earn cash only.  As far as fixes, I'd just like to put hard limits on amounts per person and length of time with no exceptions.  I doubt you would see anyone starving.

No disagreement over supplementing other countries.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »
Walmarts, even the lousy ones, carry a heavy selection of name brand products.

The Sav-a-Lots and Dollar Generals, they occupy a space between Walmart and the $.99 cent stores, operate out of older leased retail spaces of various shapes and sizes, and all tend to have a sad poverty-stricken edge to them. And are filled with lower quality generic off-brand merchandise. Name brand products are usually surplus overstock that failed to sell at higher tier retailers.

That's pretty much it.  Aldi's is a half step classier than Sav-a-Lot.   "People of Walmart" not withstanding, Wally World is not the bottom of the barrel.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 04:20:12 AM »
There are 3 Wal-Marts within 25 miles of me in 3 very different towns. 1st town is closest to the Tulsa metro area and is something of bedroom community for the Tulsa area,no real issues other than the manager is a rectum and his employees reflect to some extent. The restrooms are usually nasty.

2nd is the furthest from Tulsa in a town that is more of a farming and ranching community. I actually feel welcome in that store.  The restrooms have always been sparkleing when I've been there

3rd one is in a mid-sized town and is the newest and biggest of the three. It is also in a agricultural centered area with quite a bit of Amish for the customer base. Atmosphere is more friendly than the first but less so than the second. I've been told the manager there is also a rectum but less so than the 1st one. The restrooms are acceptable.

Other than they all sell pretty much the exact same crap the experience of doing business is very different in each one.  Location and management set the mood.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 05:08:05 AM »
Hell even in Tulsa you can get a different experience depending on which one you go to.  Of course the closet one to me is considered ghetto/hood and usually only go there if in a hurry.  Otherwise it is up to Owasso or down to the "new" by Woodland Hills.  It is funny though that the meth cook was in supposedly the better part of town.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=32616.0
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
I've used the words 'upscale' and 'walmart' together...
A friend of mine said "really? your Walmart is upscale?"
Me- "upscale as in trailer park instead of ghetto."

I probablly go to Wlamart at least once a week for groceries, the 'upscale' walmart near me is quite nice, they get a lot closer to 'ghetto' end of the spectrum as you get closer to the city.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Walmart has come up with a new store type to compete with the Dollar Generals and other similar stores.  It's called a Wal-Mart Express.  I've seen one from the road, but haven't been inside.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
^^^ They are apparently building the first one of these in Washington state next year.  The paper said it will be a 50,000 square foot store that sells groceries and some dry goods.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Sounds like it will be just like the Walmart that they closed here in November to open a Walmart Superstore just down the road ...  =|
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce