Author Topic: woo hoo! good guys won one. Illinios Concealed Carry info  (Read 12542 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
woo hoo! good guys won one. Illinios Concealed Carry info
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
ISRA Notice:
Decision in Shepard / Moore v Madigan

We are disinclined to engage in another round of historical analysis to determine whether eighteenth-century America understood the Second Amendment to include a right to bear guns outside the home. The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside.

The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense. Illinois had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden.

The Supreme Court’s interpretation of the Second Amendment therefore compels us to reverse the decisions in the two cases before us and remand Nos. 12-1269, 12-1788 21  them to their respective district courts for the entry of declarations of unconstitutionality and permanent injunctions. Nevertheless we order our mandate stayed for 180 days to allow the Illinois legislature to craft a new gun law that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public.

REVERSED AND REMANDED, WITH DIRECTIONS;

The legislature has 180 days to change the law.

Illinois joins the 21th century.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:50:35 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: woo hoo! good guys won one.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
Twenty-oneth century? Awesome!  :P

Congrats, Land of Lincoln.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »
We ain't quite there yet, but boy this is feeling good.

lee n. field

• friend

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
That is pretty awesome!!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

birdman

• friend

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
Now for that "full faith and credit" stuff.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »
Merged.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »
It'll be interesting seeing how badly the state tries to screw around.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »
It'll be interesting seeing how badly the state tries to screw around.

How dare your besmirch the fine reputation of Illinois!  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: woo hoo! good guys won one. Illinios Concealed Carry info
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
 =D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
Nevertheless we order our mandate stayed for 180 days to allow the Illinois legislature to craft a new gun law that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in
    this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public.

Yeah, and that law is probably going to look something like this....

[cynic]

- Applicants must pass a background check to include traffic violations and misdemeanors. It shall be deemed that any person ever charged with an offense that may carry a penalty greater than 1 dollar or 1 day imprisonment shall be a barred.

- The application cost for consideration of issuance shall be set at $1,000 with an automatic annual increase at a rate of one and one half times the rate of inflation specific to the State of Illinois.

- Application filing will be conducted between 0817 and 0823 on Tuesday mornings at a place to be determined by the State AG.

- Applications will take no longer than 900 days, and no less than 600 days to allow for thorough background investigation, from date of filing to be approved or denied.

- Applicants must have a minimum 100 certified hours of concealed carry and pistol shooting training at a Chicago police training range, and shall be required to maintain a minimum of 50 certified hours of training per year to maintain their concealed carry permit. The availability of the police training range to be at the convenience of the CPD.

- It shall be deemed that the current or prior holding a public office or employment in the State, County or City legislatures, government or law enforcement agency shall be considered the equivalent of holding a concealed carry permit in good standing.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
180 Days to Concealed Carry in Illinois !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
Decision in Shepard v Madigan and Moore v Madigan:

We are disinclined to engage in another round of historical analysis to determine whether eighteenth-century America understood the Second Amendment to include a right to bear guns outside the home. The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside.

The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense. Illinois had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden.

The Supreme Court’s interpretation of the Second Amendment therefore compels us to reverse the decisions in the two cases before us and remand Nos. 12-1269, 12-1788 21 them to their respective district courts for the entry of declarations of unconstitutionality and permanent injunctions. Nevertheless we order our mandate stayed for 180 days to allow the Illinois legislature to craft a new gun law that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public.

REVERSED AND REMANDED, WITH DIRECTIONS;

The Illinois legislature has 180 days to change the law.

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
Merged again.  ;)
Andy

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
How dare your besmirch the fine reputation of Illinois!  =D
I know, what was I thinking?

It'll be interesting seeing how badly the state tries to screws around.
FTFM
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
Blood is going to run in the streets of Chicago!  [ar15]

Oh wait, the blood is already running in the streets.

I guess I'll have my own conceal carry permit later this summer.  =D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
First, woohoo, time to celebrate.

Second, others are speculating that if nothing is passed the legislature in 180days, then the court may force constitution carry until passed.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »
There's a concealed carry bill that been floating around (HB148), it was full of compromises, but it would have least opened the door.

All bets are off.  Rep Brandon Phelps (D, yes a Democrat) was the sponsor of that bill.

Phelps fought unsuccessfully in the House to pass concealed weapons legislation with a long set of restrictions, but he warned opponents of his legislation may regret they had not supported it when they had a chance. Now, he said, he “can’t see us” going forward with legislation that has as many restrictions as the bill that failed.

The prior bill largely limited carrying weapons to when a person was in a car, walking into a house and out on a sidewalk, and it specifically disallowed guns to be carried in churches, schools, gymnasiums, sporting events, bars and businesses, Phelps said.

He said no decision has been made on which restrictions in his previous legislation would be removed in a new bill.

Phelps warned that gun control groups who might want to appeal the issue to the U.S. Supreme Court might put strict laws in other states in jeopardy

The interesting thing is that this will put the laws other states with "May Issue" in jeopardy, even if the anti's aren't dumb enough to appeal the USSC.

Rumour has it that Speaker of the Illinois House, Mike Madigan (father of our state AG Lisa Madigan) will put together a sham bill that includes a AWB and the restrictions previously mentioned along with any others they think they can get away with.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
First, woohoo, time to celebrate.

Second, others are speculating that if nothing is passed the legislature in 180days, then the court may force constitution carry until passed.

They're calling it the "CCW Cliff".

>:D >:D >:D

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
I especially liked how you called it the Seventh Circus instead of Circuit.

Oh, did I slip up? ;)

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »
Time to start looking for a nice tooled leather holster for my shiny nickel S&W, suitable for an outdoor BBQ.  Yeah, dream on.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
Good luck, IL!

I know it almost surprised me, when we passed CCW. All those years of fighting, and it happened almost overnight.

>Second, others are speculating that if nothing is passed the legislature in 180days, then the court may force constitution carry until passed.<

We had something similar happen: court ruled on a concealed carry case, found the law unconstitutional, and put in their ruling a note to the legislature to come up with some form of permitting system. Was a few years later before we actually got it...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »
Could we be that far away now from the 14th Amendment taking hold and permits are valid country wide no matter where issued.  Granted IMHO we don't need no stinking permits, but that is a different argument.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 08:01:18 PM »
>Second, others are speculating that if nothing is passed the legislature in 180days, then the court may force constitution carry until passed.<

In reality, the court has effectively already mandated "Constitutional carry" if the legislature doesn't write an acceptable law within 180 days. The current law has been ruled unconstitutional, with a stay of 180 days. That means as of 181 days, the current law ceases to apply and does not have any validity. Remember, the general principle is that if a law doesn't say something is NOT legal ... it's legal.

The Illinois state constitution says:

ARTICLE I, SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

"Subject only to the police power" means subject to the power of the legislature to write a law regulating it. Otherwise, the right CANNOT be infringed. So if there's no replacement law after 180 days, Illinois defaults to Constitutional carry automatically. ( I think ... IANAL).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design