Author Topic: Working for free....  (Read 1207 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Working for free....
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »
LOL I keep seeing my fellow federal employees complaining that they're working for free.
Nevermind they will be paid for time worked ("essential employees" anyway).

NATCA, our union, is using this to renew calls for ATC privatization.  They want to go with the non profit model seen in Europe and Canada.
The emails are hysterical.

"Whether the shutdown lasts one hour, one day, one week, or more, it reinforces our strong belief that the status quo is broken. The NAS requires a stable, predictable funding stream in order to adequately support: air traffic control services, staffing, hiring and training, long-term modernization projects, preventative maintenance, ongoing modernization to the physical infrastructure, and the timely implementation of NextGen modernization projects. The NAS continues to be challenged by the lack of a stable, predictable funding stream. The constant funding crises that arise from stop-and-go funding continue to wreak havoc on our system and perpetuate the current staffing crisis, which has resulted in a 29-year low of certified professional controllers."
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Working for free....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
They might be hilarious, but are they wrong?

Wouldn't it be cheaper and stabler to simply have the airports pay for the ATC systems by charging the airlines?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »
They might be hilarious, but are they wrong?

Wouldn't it be cheaper and stabler to simply have the airports pay for the ATC systems by charging the airlines?

There was actually a very good bill proposed to set up the privatization of the ATC system last year.   I'm not opposed to it.  NATCA has hung it's hat on privatization though and is tying literally everything into it in every email they send these days.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »
Aren't these furloughed folks eligible for unemployment insurance?  (And you can apply for it in advance of happenings like this if you are aware that your "company" will be shutting down, even for an unknown period.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
Aren't these furloughed folks eligible for unemployment insurance?  (And you can apply for it in advance of happenings like this if you are aware that your "company" will be shutting down, even for an unknown period.)

Yes, although I was told by my coworkers who specialize in getting other peoples money for nothing that the furlough has to go more than 30 days before you get money.  Several of my coworkers applied in 2013.

I never bothered to check on it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
Yes, although I was told by my coworkers who specialize in getting other peoples money for nothing that the furlough has to go more than 30 days before you get money.  Several of my coworkers applied in 2013.

I never bothered to check on it.

OK, well laws change, but there used to be a mandated two week waiting period.  However, the way I remember it, you could file in advance of the termination so that the waiting period started immediately on termination.  In the case of receiving back pay on re-employment, you had to pay the insurance money back, but at least the unemployment allowed you a more or less continuous income stream.

But it's been a very long time since I went through all that.

As far as "bothering to check on it" goes, my experience was that the unemployment staff is very helpful... almost as if their jobs depended on getting as many "customers" as possible. YMMV.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.