Author Topic: Amazingly, colleges are still trying students in sex courts  (Read 2123 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Amazingly, colleges are still trying students in sex courts
« on: April 10, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
Then again, I guess it's no more absurd than anything else the Left does, and we allow them to get away with.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/she-accused-him-of-sexual-assault-even-though-he-says-she-initiated-university-puts-him-in-solitary-confinement

“Immediately after the female student stated she wanted to pursue an investigation, the university evicted Doe from his dorm room based on nothing more than a meritless allegation, and without providing Doe any due process . . . and the opportunity to be heard,” John says in his lawsuit. “Furthermore, Doe was placed in solitary confinement in a moldy apartment, and was informed that he could not have any visitors without approval from the Title IX office.”

John also says the apartment the university put him in didn’t even have internet access or a place to do laundry.

John says in his lawsuit that once school investigators began looking into Jane’s claims, he filed his own complaint alleging that she was the real aggressor and one who initiated the kissing, which he did not want. But even though John had just as much evidence to suggest he was the victim (perhaps more so with the video evidence from his dorm room), Transylvania only “investigated” his claim for two weeks before dismissing it. The school investigated Jane’s claims for two months, and a hearing was set for her complaint in mid-April, but John’s attorneys have filed an injunction to force Transylvania to abandon the hearing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Amazingly, colleges are still trying students in sex courts
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
I don't know if it's amazing. College campuses continue to be "closed societies" with this stuff with their own rules, embraced by the commie pinko majority on those campuses. Until there are massive - and I mean MASSIVE lawsuits - plus firings, this will not change.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 05:35:51 PM »
From what I've seen as father of one in college and one on the way, the big difference is private and public.  Amazingly enough, this is one place where state schools are better, because state law controls, and not a bunch of ivory tower academic types creating their rules as they go.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 05:36:39 PM »
I don't know if it's amazing. College campuses continue to be "closed societies" with this stuff with their own rules, embraced by the commie pinko majority on those campuses. Until there are massive - and I mean MASSIVE lawsuits - plus firings, this will not change.

Just like their larger outside world equivalents
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:55:27 PM »
Amazingly enough, this is one place where state schools are better, because state law controls, and not a bunch of ivory tower academic types creating their rules as they go.

I dunno, that may depend on the state. I was in the UC system, and even over 20 years ago, I was forced to be a witness in one of these kangaroo courts. That one was "guilty and this is just a formality where everyone just needs to agree with us." When I (honestly) said I never witnessed the behavior the accused was accused of, I can tell you it did not go over well for me or the two other people (we were all his officemates in grad school, one a female) who said the same thing I did.

I couldn't tell you if he did the stuff he was accused of outside our presence, but his "aggressive and threatening nature" was never witnessed by us. Regardless, he was kicked out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 08:32:30 PM »
I hesitate to use the term 'kangaroo courts', but I think these proceedings should use the same right to counsel, due process, evidentiary, and procedural standards as a criminal court hearing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 09:22:11 PM »
I hesitate to use the term 'kangaroo courts',

From my understanding, "kangaroo court" is almost literally the definition of these tribunal things.

From the Oxford:

noun
noun: kangaroo court; plural noun: kangaroo courts

an unofficial court held by a group of people in order to try someone regarded, especially without good evidence, as guilty of a crime or misdemeanor.

From the wiki:

A kangaroo court is a court that ignores recognized standards of law or justice and often carries little or no official standing in the territory within which it resides.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
I hesitate to use the term 'kangaroo courts', but I think these proceedings should use the same right to counsel, due process, evidentiary, and procedural standards as a criminal court hearing.

If this stuff is that serious, let the professionals of the actual justice (not the social justice) system handle it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 10:46:08 PM »
If this stuff is that serious, let the professionals of the actual justice (not the social justice) system handle it.
Quite correct. If there is actual evidence of a sex crime (or any other crime) it should be a matter for ACTUAL police and ACTUAL prosecutors in an ACTUAL court - and out of the school's hands.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 02:31:33 AM »
We've had to start telling our 13 year old that when he gets to college he simply cannot ever be in a room with a woman that's not his wife without someone else (ideally several someones, her friends and his) being present.  The risk of a spurious accusation is just too high.  And whatever else he does, don't ever be alone with an inebriated woman (unless she's married to him).  That's just begging for a sexual assault allegation.
Formerly sumpnz

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »
We've had to start telling our 13 year old that when he gets to college he simply cannot ever be in a room with a woman that's not his wife without someone else (ideally several someones, her friends and his) being present.  The risk of a spurious accusation is just too high.  And whatever else he does, don't ever be alone with an inebriated woman (unless she's married to him).  That's just begging for a sexual assault allegation.
I was also thinking there are likely people who those in charge like who get away with actions others would not.  Leftists have a habit of ignoring bad actions of fellow leftists. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »

That's a good rule everywhere. Mike Pence was right.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 04:30:17 PM »

Until you can sue the Title IX "officers" personally and severally, separate from the university system (which in most cases has deep enough pockets to delay, delay, delay) I don't see this changing.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »
I would guess that one half-assed advantage of being tried and booted out by the college's kangaroo court is that if it doesn't go any further (i.e., into the regular Court system) then there's no official record of a "Sex Crime" to limit the guy's future rights.

Or so I'm guessing.

As I'm fond of iterating,

Accusations are cheap.
Defense is expensive.

Trite, but too often used by prosecutors and sex crime complainants.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.