Author Topic: PiAware Showing Flight Out of Charlotte in Trouble  (Read 116 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
My PiAware setup is showing American Airlines flight, AAL2007, is having a problem.  Found it when they squawked 7600 on their transponder.
The flight was bound for Pensacola, FL, but as of 0955 the Airbus A321 is holding at 7100 feet in a racetrack pattern west of Charlotte.  This is likely to work checklists and burn off fuel to reach a safe landing weight before returning to Charlotte.  Don't know what the issue is.  If I had time I'd fire up one of my SDRs and listen in on the approach frequency for Charlotte.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: PiAware Showing Flight Out of Charlotte in Trouble
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:18:06 AM »
AAL2007 has left the holding pattern and is now being vectored back to Charlotte.  Speed and altitude are both decreasing as the flight heads back.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:31:18 AM »
Flight disappeared just about where one would expect prior to landing from the south at Charlotte.  The PiAware system can track flights almost to landing from that direction.  I'm sure they got down safely.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:41:26 AM »
Google says the flight was diverted to Pensacola.  Will arrive in  Charlotte an hour late.  The source says Flightaware.

I've never heard of PiAware before
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:15:23 AM »
Google is incorrect.  I was able to follow the flight in real-time on the flight tracking page that maps course and speed.  I could see the actual flight path of the Airbus A321, follow its loops in the holding pattern while the pilots worked their checklists and burned off fuel.  Then the flight left the holding pattern and flew vectors back to Charlotte, its entire course visible in real-time* on the map.
For much of the flight my system was picking up AAL2007 ADS-B data directly with zero message delay.  It was only after the flight dropped below about 2500 feet that my system lost direct reception and relied on feeds from stations closer to CLT.
PiAware is a flight info system built with a Raspberry Pi and a FlightAware USB FlightStick Pro.  It is a way for hobbyists to feed data to the FlightAware system.  When you register a PiAware system with FlightAware they give you a free enterprise account that allows access to some neat stuff.

Edit:

* There is actually a minute or two delay in the "real-time" display as the FlightAware system gathers flight data from feeders and generates a tracking page
Corrected the version of the FlightStick that I use.  It's actually the FlightStick Pro with a built-in preamp and bandpass filter for 1090 MHz.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:19:20 PM by RocketMan »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:24:11 AM »
https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/flight-emergency-charlotte-airport-american-airlines/275-a39a578d-862e-4991-b6eb-84ae4daccc9f

No added info, just that they declared an Emergency and returned to CLT. Hopefully they'll update the story when American responds.

Entertainingly, I'm flying through CLT on AAL on Sunday.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:28:40 PM »
Since it's not a Boeing I'm sure we'll hear nothing.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:19:49 PM »
Since it's not a Boeing I'm sure we'll hear nothing.

Would not be surprised.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:39:35 PM »
Interesting. 7600 is the transponder code for radio failure. 7700 is the general emergency squawk, 7500 for a hijacking.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!