Author Topic: Another Pizza Shooting--Second one this year  (Read 5862 times)

Waitone

• friend
Another Pizza Shooting--Second one this year
« on: July 14, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »
http://www.thestate.com/local/story/863060.html
Again, a pizza, a robbery, a gunshot
Another Lexington delivery man wounds holdup suspect
By JOHN MONK - jmonk@thestate.com

A Papa John’s pizza delivery man shot and wounded a 17-year-old who called in a pizza order and then robbed him at a vacant house with a fake handgun, the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department said.

The incident occurred July 5, but deputies delayed announcing it until Monday — a day after the teen was charged with robbery, and eight days after the shooting.

It was the second time in recent months that a pizza delivery man in Lexington County has shot someone trying to rob him.

The other incident was March 7, when a Pizza Hut delivery man shot and killed a 17-year-old assailant who was beating him. Deputies have arrested three other teens in that Irmo-area incident.

But neither pizza delivery man is facing charges, since authorities have ruled both shootings were in self-defense. The two delivery men carried concealed-weapon permits, deputies said.

In the most recent shooting, Sheriff James Metts is withholding the name of the pizza delivery man. He said Monday through a spokesman that deputies feared for the man’s safety — but would not give details of any threats.

The suspect, Raymond Antonio Metze, 17, of 212 Crestridge Drive, Lexington, was booked Sunday at the Lexington County Detention Center on charges of armed robbery and possessing a weapon during the commission of a violent crime. He is in jail under $100,000 bond.

A black BB pistol that resembled a semiautomatic handgun was used in the robbery, a Sheriff’s Department spokesman said.

Metze was at Palmetto Health Richland for more than a week, though details of his treatment were not released. He got out of the hospital Sunday night.

The July 5 shooting occurred in the Red Bank area of Lexington County, about a mile west of White Knoll High School.

According to warrants and reports from deputies, shortly before midnight, the 29-year-old delivery man — from Papa John’s on 3937 Platt Springs Road — brought pizza to 236 Crestridge Drive. The home was vacant.

After the delivery man knocked on the front door, a man came from the side of the house with what appeared to be a handgun and demanded cash.

The pizza delivery man gave him a little more than $200.

As the pizza delivery man left, the suspect kept pointing his fake pistol at him. Not knowing it was fake and only fired BBs, the pizza man pulled his handgun. It was real, a 9mm semiautomatic.

He fired one shot, wounding the suspect in his chest.

The suspect fled and the pizza delivery man called 911. Acting on a neighbor’s tip, deputies found the suspect within minutes, lying on a porch of a nearby house.

The suspect was airlifted to Palmetto Health Richland.

Metts said the unidentified pizza delivery man was not charged because he acted in self-defense. Deputies and the 11th Circuit solicitor’s office made the determination.

In the March shooting, pizza delivery man Christopher Miller, 43, from an Irmo-area Pizza Hut, voluntarily agreed to have his name released to the public, the Sheriff’s Department said.

The Papa John’s pizza man, a spokesman added, wants confidentiality.

Reach Monk at (803) 771-8344.

You'd think eventually the word would get out that robbing pizza delivery men in Lexington County is a losing proposition.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Another Pizza Shooting--Second one this year
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 05:38:08 PM »
Them pizza guys are a dangerous bunch. =D

Maybe the delivery-robber gangs need to switch it up and order Chinese. :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »
A couple of years ago in Milwaukee we had a pizza delivery guy--Andy Vegas--shoot robbers twice in a six-month period. There probably aren't any cops who've shot bad guys that frequently.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »
If I ever get in trouble, I'm calling Domino's instead of 911....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
I think the first guy needs to visit the range a little more. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »
A couple of years ago in Milwaukee we had a pizza delivery guy--Andy Vegas--shoot robbers twice in a six-month period. There probably aren't any cops who've shot bad guys that frequently.

Maybe the cops need to go under-cover as pizza guys.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:16:11 AM »
When I was 17 I delivered pizzas,  The way we worked the money was that every order's receipt that I delivered went into a box under the counter.  I collected all the money and at the end of the night I turned in an amount of money equal to the sum of receipts in my box, what I had left over was tips.  My bank was my rear left pocket and it wasn't uncommon for me to turn in $500+ at the end of the night.   Sometimes if it was slow I would cancel out a stack of receipts and bring my bank down to under $100, but that wasn't often.  Never worried about getting robbed.

Oh I almost forgot: the first receipt was the $100 in various denominations of bills and coin the boss would front you for making change, which brings me to a funny story.  Myself and a guy named Mike were the first two delivery guys to ever work at this particular establishment, and were both hired on the day that the place started doing deliveries.  Mike took the first delivery order for the business ever, I took the second, and the third, then delivered the Mike's order to the angry customers who hadn't received it, and the fourth:  Mike hadn't come back after leaving with three pizzas and the $100 in change-making money.  The boss was livid (and feeling kind of stupid).  After about an hour and a half Mike shows back up at the shop.  He had hit two pedestrians with his truck three blocks from the shop!  He was tied up with the police all that time (this was 1998 before cell phones were common)!  I left after a few months but Mike worked there delivering for 9 years.  He delivered a pizza to my house (from a different shop) about 6 months ago and we did a little catching up.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:08:48 AM »

No way; you notice they'll never use a cover of a job that's more dangerous than police work?  That's why the movies with cops posing as trashmen are just too fake.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:10:20 AM »
Eh, they go undercover as actual gang members. That oughta be far more dangerous than police work.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:19:32 AM »
Cops usually nab big-time drug dealers by posing as drug dealers, not pharmacists.

Read the book "Donnie Brasco" sometime. That guy came really close to getting killed several times.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 01:19:59 AM »
I worked for a Pizza Hut delivery store for three years when I was in college.  In my time there, we had a couple managers get held up when taking the night deposit.  No drivers got held up during that time.  

However, it was a real eye opener how many creepy folks have the pizza delivery guy fantasy.   :O
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:45 AM »

It'd be a lot easier than dressing up as hookers....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:45:58 AM »
Sheriff James Metts is withholding the name of the pizza delivery man. He said Monday through a spokesman that deputies feared for the man’s safety

THEN:

According to warrants and reports from deputies, shortly before midnight, the 29-year-old delivery man — from Papa John’s on 3937 Platt Springs Road — brought pizza to 236 Crestridge Drive.

I love the media, you can always count on them.  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 08:59:33 AM »
So, if the best looking hookers are always cops, would the fattest pizza delivery boys always be cops?

Pizza Police=> :police:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »
So, if the best looking hookers are always cops, would the fattest pizza delivery boys always be cops?

Pizza Police=> :police:

Nope.....undercover donut shop drivers....  :police: =D :police:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:23 AM »
I just hope Papa John's doesn't do a Pizza Hut routine and fire the driver . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »
It'd be a lot easier than dressing up as hookers....

Except for the hot latina policewomen that some departments apparently have. Revealing clothes are easier for women to find now.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
OK, that's one large, deep dish Meat Lover's, extra sauce, and half mushroom.  Would you like lead with that?  It's free tonight with any delivery...Yes, that's hot lead...On the side?  No problem, sir
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »
Yes, extra hot lead please.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »
Except for the hot latina policewomen that some departments apparently have. Revealing clothes are easier for women to find now.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
Who are these women with revealing clothes and how can I meet them? =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
Them pizza guys are a dangerous bunch. =D

Maybe the delivery-robber gangs need to switch it up and order Chinese. :lol:

Nope, 'cause the bad guys think that derivery driver would go all Kung-Fu on their a$$.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:12 PM »
You ordah pok fried rice, you pay now!!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
You too fat!  You eat too much!  You go now!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 10:02:48 PM »
CT version: You eat too much Chinese food! You go home now!  :laugh: