Author Topic: How Important Is Mindset in Self Defense Situations ???? Just Classic.  (Read 906 times)

Waitone

• friend
http://www.aikenstandard.com/2007redesign/news/296060305421804.php
Man accused of kidnapping estranged wife

By KAREN DAILY
Staff writer
An Aiken man accused of kicking in the front door at his estranged wife's home Tuesday morning and dragging her by her hair and shirt to his car is in jail facing serious charges, police say.

Barry J. Smith, 23, of the 500 block of Baldwin Road in Aiken, is charged with kidnapping and first-degree burglary.

The confrontation escalated at 24-year-old Valerie Wood's Morningside Drive home shortly before 8 a.m. when she came home from work, officials said.
The victim and her 4-year-old son had just returned when the man came running toward the house from the woods, said Lt. Michael Frank, an agency spokesman.

The 24-year-old woman who had borrowed a gun for protection fired at Smith, who briefly ran away. He tried to attack the victim a second time, but she again fired at the subject, Frank said.

The victim locked herself inside the house, but the attacker kicked open the front door. He then dragged her by her hair and shirt to her automobile and drove away. The child was left alone but unhurt, Frank said.

Deputies found the 4-year-old standing in the entryway of the residence. He told deputies a bad guy took his mother away.

Aiken Public Safety and deputies began searching the area for the vehicle seen speeding away from the home.

A neighbor said he called police after he heard the shots.

"I heard her scream and saw the Buick speed away," said neighbor Kern Bellinger.

Within minutes, law enforcement officers stopped the four-door sedan on Lloydtown Road and arrested Smith.

The victim was uninjured and was reunited with her son, Frank said.
She told deputies that her child was uninjured because she brought him inside and then went back to her car to get her lunchbox and the pistol.
She said she had been afraid of Smith and kept the gun for protection, officials said.

When he had approached, she fired several shots at him, missing him each time, the incident report states.

She said she locked herself inside but that he kicked in the door. She fired at him again, missing him that time as well.  Since April 2006, deputies have responded to about 40 calls at the woman's home. Two calls were domestic disputes, and the remainder were burglaries and well-being and patrol checks, Frank said.

The well-being and patrol checks were in response to the victim's fear of Smith, Frank said.  "In addition to those calls, the sheriff's office also responded to calls for service at Baldwin Street," Frank said.

The pair at one time lived together at the Baldwin Street home.

Smith is being held at the Aiken County detention center.
Contact Karen Daily at kdaily@aikenstandard.com
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
Re: How Important Is Mindset in Self Defense Situations ???? Just Classic.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »
Any one living close enough to this lady to give her some pistol instruction?  Aiken, South Carolina.

I am sadly residing in PDSR California at the moment.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Smith is being held at the Aiken County detention center.

For how long: a few weeks?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Any one living close enough to this lady to give her some pistol instruction?  Aiken, South Carolina.

I'm a couple of counties above Aiken, but I don't know much about pistols...plus I'm quite busy at this time with school...

She needs to get instruction by a CCW instructor and get a CWP. If this guy is let out- and he will be- I predict that he will return to finish her off.

Over 40 police responses? Indicates that the guy is persistent. Also the fact that he continued his attack even while being fired upon shows he isn't very afraid of getting shot at.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:51:42 AM »
Also the fact that he continued his attack even while being fired upon shows he isn't very afraid of getting shot at.
By her . . . no.  sad

If the guy had behaved that way towards any of a number of ladies I know, he would've been DRT.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Len Budney

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 05:02:17 AM »

Pistol instruction is a good idea. But there's also something to be said for a battle rifle. A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle, yadda yadda. She should be lying prone at the top of her stairs when he tries to come up after her, loaded with soft-points and wearing Peltors. This guy obviously just keeps coming and coming.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Chris

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:19:12 AM »
Agree with everyone, what she needs is training.  Even if this guy goes to prison for a substantial period of time for these crimes, he will get out.  And, the level of obsession he's demonstrating ain't going away.  Not only training, but additional firepower is in order.  Perhaps that rifle for inside the house.  I'd imagine that a trained woman with a 12 gauge would have ended things when the door came open.  Then again, a bit of training and she may have been able to end it with the pistol.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 05:35:24 AM »
The way I read the story is she knew he was a bad dude and correctly figured the direction a confrontation would take.  She armed herself figuring she would just scare him.  She might have honestly missed but I read it as she just fired to scare him away.  After the second attack she took her kid inside then went back outside to retrieve a lunchbox and pistol.  I think her priorities were messed up if she perceived a physical or lethal threat to her or her child. 

She may have needed training but it seems to me her willingness to defend herself to what ever extent necessary was missing.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:13:42 AM »
If you find yourself in a situation where someone is using or is about to use lethal force against you and you haven't already internalized the will to kill another human being without hesitation then you may very well find yourself in a world of hurt.

Hesitation will get you killed. And if you haven't internalized the will to kill you will hesitate to pull the trigger. Your only hope for survival at that point will be that the adrenaline dump and instinctive desire for self preservation will override your morality and allow you to pull the trigger and kill your attacker.

It really is that simple. Mindset is most of the battle. It is one of the things that make the real predators among us so dangerous. They absolutely will not hesitate to kill if it is necessary to accomplish their goal. If one finds himself confronted by such a person then you better not hesitate either. And that requires a pre-made decision that you will, can, must kill in any situation where you are confronted by lethal force directed at you or one you have decided must be protected.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online