Author Topic: AG Sessions and the Russians  (Read 2248 times)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: AG Sessions and the Russians
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »
In the context of the question, what he said WAS true. If what he said wasn't true, he would be guilty of perjury, and even you don't seem to think he is guilty of perjury.

The context or question being asked does not negate what he stated as a plain and simple (and untrue) fact. Franken could have asked him what he had for breakfast and if he responded how he did it would still be untrue.

I did use the word "lie" in my first post on the topic, and as fistful points out that's probably not the right word if that wasn't his intent to deceive. I can't claim to know his intent when making that untrue statement so perjury, at least in my understanding, is not applicable because it requires that same intent.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 11:35:35 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me to see more weak-kneed Republicans demanding Sessions resign.  And it wouldn't surprise me if Sessions resigned next week.
After all, caving is what Republicans do.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 12:02:28 AM »
Has no one heard of the Hatch Act?

Sessions has been a Senator for many, many years.  There is NO WAY he would violate the Hatch Act by meeting with the Russian Ambassador (or talking to him on the phone in his office) about anything to do with an election.

Plus, I'll give him a pass on the did you meet with Russians?  type question.  It was clear to me that Franken was asking Sessions in role a campaign surrogate if he had met with the Russians.  No.  Also do you know how many people Senators meet on a daily basis??   Every kid and family that wins a spelling bee or science fair, families on vacation in DC.  School trips.  Miss County Fair Queen, hundreds of constituents and .gov officials and bureaucrats.   Even McCaskill forgot about her two meetings with the Russkies.

Again, the D's hate Trump and Sessions so much that they spin every little thing into a HUGE scandal.   Again, I will point out what I said earlier.

WHERE IS THE CRIME ?   WHAT LAW WAS BROKEN ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.