Author Topic: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035  (Read 4337 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2022, 04:27:27 PM »
Yep
And the reason I said household AC and not AC in general is that there's too many office buildings and other buildings that due to their design would be unusable without it. Office buildings before AC became in general use were designed with open windowed airflow, not so much since.  How many office buildings where you can even open a window are there nowadays? That may change if they continue to have their way for newer buildings

A couple of years before I retired, the local CA congresswoman insisted we build a new building for our office and move it to UC Santa Barbara, and make it green. It had no AC and was designed with "window circulation", which meant you had to keep upstairs and downstairs office windows open, and then it had skylights that automatically opened after it hit a certain temperature. We also had to keep our office doors open in order for it all to work as intended. It was still freakin' hot when the sundowner winds blew.

I had a GSA security container in my office, which meant windows and the door had to stay closed and locked down. Had I not retired when I did, I would have spent my own money on a portable AC unit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2022, 06:47:08 PM »
A couple of years before I retired, the local CA congresswoman insisted we build a new building for our office and move it to UC Santa Barbara, and make it green. It had no AC and was designed with "window circulation", which meant you had to keep upstairs and downstairs office windows open, and then it had skylights that automatically opened after it hit a certain temperature. We also had to keep our office doors open in order for it all to work as intended. It was still freakin' hot when the sundowner winds blew.

I had a GSA security container in my office, which meant windows and the door had to stay closed and locked down. Had I not retired when I did, I would have spent my own money on a portable AC unit.

Luddites. It's no coincidence they also hate your modern sporting rifle.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2022, 01:39:32 AM »
Lets understand this problem with some facts.

In 2020, California consumed 1380.7 trillion BTU's of motor gasoline in the transportation sector [cite].
In 2021 California produced 193,569 GW-hr of electrical power. [cite]
The average electric car kWh per 100 miles (kWh/100 mi) is 34.6. This works out as 0.346kWh per mile. [cite]
Gasoline contains about 120k btu per gallon.  A 30 MPG car will therefore consume 4000 BTUth per mile.

California gasoline consumption equates to 3.5x1011 miles driven, assuming 30MPG.    For average electric cars to travel this distance, they would consume 1.2x1011 kw-hr. 
1.2x1014 wh-hr / 1.94x1014 ≈ 0.62.

Conclusion:  If all gasoline energy used for transportation in California were to be replaced with electrical power (with the above assumptions) the electrical demand from transportation would consume 62% of existing generating capacity.

California will need to massively increase it's electrical generation capacity if this proposal is to work.

It's a nice calculation but it's wrong.

Instead of starting from gasoline consumed, you have to start from total miles driven. Then multiply that by known efficiency of EVs. When you do it that way, you come up with closer to 15% increase.

Which sounds much better.  Even doable.  Until you remember that increasing grid capacity by even 15% is a gigantic undertaking that would require a heroic growth plan, and those plans still don't exist.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2022, 07:04:15 AM »
And... They looked at a single fuel.

Diesel should also be figured in.

And... Can small businesses which rely upon diesel vehicles afford to upgrade? Big ones can fit them in...
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2022, 07:07:12 AM »

Instead of starting from gasoline consumed, you have to start from total miles driven. Then multiply that by known efficiency of EVs. When you do it that way, you come up with closer to 15% increase.

Which sounds much better.  Even doable.  Until you remember that increasing grid capacity by even 15% is a gigantic undertaking that would require a heroic growth plan, and those plans still don't exist.

Worse, not oniy do those plans not exist should any attempt be made to increase capacity it will be tied up for years in courts by the same people who scream for EVs. The usual cycle of lawsuits, construction, pauses for more lawsuits, more construction that is now ridiculously over budget and behind schedule, and then cancellation when the project is almost finished because of some never seen before endangered species  will apply to any and all infrastructure projects

The leftist (*expletive deleted*ing retards that they are) response to when you raise concerns about the outdated and inadequate grid is “oh the ban is 13 years away at this point plenty of time” and “solar solar solar everything”. Apparently the Civil Engineers of the Internet believe that massive projects are like making the newest model of IPhones…just dream the ideas up amd it’s on the shelves in 6 months.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2022, 10:39:07 AM »
"Stranded Tourist with Dead Electric Car Helped by West Virginia Coal Miners"

https://www.breitbart.com/local/2022/09/04/stranded-tourist-dead-electric-car-helped-west-virginia-coal-miners/

The car, driven by a tourist from Wash. DC, couldn't be towed because the bottom was all plastic fittings and there was nothing to safely connect a cable to.  The car was pushed to the coal mine offices by five miners where the driver could plug it in for a recharge.  The miners even gave the driver a "Friend of Coal" license plate to take home with him.   :rofl:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2022, 10:46:49 AM »
"Worse, not oniy do those plans not exist should any attempt be made to increase capacity it will be tied up for years in courts by the same people who scream for EVs."

Ding ding ding!

I'm going to make some popcorn and watch California burn...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2022, 10:51:05 AM »

Certainly possible I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing how.

Californians drive 340 billion miles per year [cite].  That's pretty close to what I came up with at 3.5x1011

So, which bit do you disagree with?  ???

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2022, 08:15:02 PM »
The fix is in

Newsom Promises There Will Be Enough Electricity For All Californians After Everyone Moves To Florida
https://babylonbee.com/news/newsom-promises-there-will-be-enough-electricity-for-all-californians-once-everyone-moves-to-florida
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2022, 07:22:46 AM »

Several decades ago, a domed sport stadium ("Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome") was built in Minneapolis without any air conditioning - the air pumped inside to keep the dome up was supposed to provide all the cooling needed.

It didn't. The informal name became "The Steamerdome."  Fortunately, allowance had been made in the structure to retrofit A/C which was eventually done.

They also tried to save energy by not heating the roof. In Minneapolis. Snow load caused the dome to tear and collapse . . . to no thinking person's surprise.

There was a city office building in St. Paul, MN that was built with solar panels on the roof, which architects and city "leaders" assured everyone would provide all the heating needed thanks to the great insulation they put in.

It didn't. They didn't think about long periods - weeks at a time - with overcast skies during the winter. They got frost inside.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2022, 10:05:52 AM »
There was a city office building in St. Paul, MN that was built with solar panels on the roof, which architects and city "leaders" assured everyone would provide all the heating needed thanks to the great insulation they put in.

It didn't. They didn't think about long periods - weeks at a time - with overcast skies during the winter. They got frost inside.
I have a solar array.  17.5KW nominal, on a ground mount because I have almost no south facing roof, mostly E/W.  On a bright sunshiny summer day it will make 110kwh.  On a grim, cloudy winter day it might barely make 1kWh. 
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2022, 12:41:55 PM »
^^^Does it feed into a battery bank for off-grid, or do you sell it back to the local electric utility?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2022, 04:48:39 PM »
^^^Does it feed into a battery bank for off-grid, or do you sell it back to the local electric utility?

Just net-metering.  Batteries were $$$$.  Be nice in terms of having an effective and silent backup generator, but was totally unaffordable.
Formerly sumpnz

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2022, 05:09:20 PM »
Just net-metering.  Batteries were $$$$.  Be nice in terms of having an effective and silent backup generator, but was totally unaffordable.

Yep.  Battery tech and prices kind of kill the idea of being totally off-grid for most houses.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2022, 06:39:22 PM »
This man apparently wants to be our next president:

https://nypost.com/2022/09/07/gavin-newsom-slammed-for-ac-double-standard-amid-heatwave/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/california-pushed-to-the-limit-by-a-relentless-heat-wave-that-broke-the-mold/ar-AA11yUCY

Besides the "double standard" mentioned in the Post article, his other double standard is that he relentlessly attacked Texas when they had power outages during their ice storms, which are not within the expected parameters of their grid. Heat waves are calculated into the CA grid as an expected event.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2022, 06:41:39 PM »
Surprised? No
Shocked? No
Disappointed? Yes
Expected? Yes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2022, 07:40:09 PM »
This man apparently wants to be our next president:

https://nypost.com/2022/09/07/gavin-newsom-slammed-for-ac-double-standard-amid-heatwave/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/california-pushed-to-the-limit-by-a-relentless-heat-wave-that-broke-the-mold/ar-AA11yUCY

Outrage over that?  Such idiots.

The guy is wearing branded clothing for a video shoot.  That looks better/more official than his black t-shirt he has on.  What about the cap?  Does that keep the head cool or warm?  Damn pundits are grasping at straws.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2022, 08:46:27 PM »
California Government Recommends Purchasing A Giant Hamster Wheel To Charge Your Electric Car
https://babylonbee.com/news/californian-government-develops-hamster-wheel-to-charge-your-car-when-the-grid-goes-down
- Calvin and Hobbes