Author Topic: Most Popular Pump Shotgun of 2020  (Read 2114 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Most Popular Pump Shotgun of 2020
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »
American Rifleman says that the most popular pump shotgun of 2020 was the Mossberg 590 Shockwave. They used gunbroker data so I don't know how accurate that is.

I'm wondering how many purchases were newbies who bought it because it looked cool to them? Whatever floats your boat, but IMHO, the Shockwave design is not a good choice for a new gun owner. I've thought about getting a Shockwave grip for my 500 just to play with, so I'm not against them, I just don't think they are the right choice for someone who has never shot a gun before.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/2/20/mossberg-590-shockwave-top-selling-pump-shotgun-in-2020/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0221
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Most Popular Pump Shotgun of 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
My writs hurt looking at that thing.  Never had an interest in a pistol grip shottie like that after shooting one many years ago.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:29:34 AM »
I bought a PG for my 870 several years ago. Took it down to the range, fired off 1/2 a dozen rounds, took it back to the house and put the shoulder stock back on. Not a fun experience.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 08:35:25 AM »
I shot an older style pistol grip years ago, and even being experienced, I didn't expect the potential for barrel flip. I caught it, but from many of the youtube videos I have seen, new shooters way too often do not. Seems to be a popular way for jackass boyfriends to introduce their girlfriends to shooting.

My concern would be that if a lot of these newbies are buying them because they look cool in the movies, then going out and shooting them without training, there is gonna be a lawsuit and more anti-gun fodder.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 08:53:10 AM »
Birdshead grips are MUCH easier to shoot than the more 90 degree PGO shotguns the 90's and early 2000's made popular. You still want a firm grip on them, but they aren't painful and are pretty controllable, especially if the foregrip has that little strappy thing.  A real improvement on the "small shotgun" idea.

Remember that a Shockwave (or a Serbu Super shorty or the like) is a purpose specific shotgun. No *expletive deleted*it that a stock shoots more accurately and more comfortably.  Now put a full stocked 18" barreled shotgun in a back pack and zip it up.  An M4 is nicer to shoot than a P3AT too, but you can't shove one in your front pocket.

Personally, I think that there are much better concealable firearms out there, but some folks really like a 12Ga, and the Shockwave is a good evolution of the smallest, non-NFA 12 Ga you can get.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:01:13 AM »
I've seen some of these Gunbroker based "most popular" lists before and most make me scratch my head. Gunbroker is a strange place sometimes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
Yeah.... no thanks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »
I bought a Mossy 500 years ago with a pistol grip included as an accessory.   After considering my experiences with shotguns,  I tossed the pistol grip and left the polymer stock on. 
The one in the OP's link .... just no.  Nope.  Not gonna happen. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »
American Rifleman says that the most popular pump shotgun of 2020 was the Mossberg 590 Shockwave. They used gunbroker data so I don't know how accurate that is.

I'm wondering how many purchases were newbies who bought it because it looked cool to them? Whatever floats your boat, but IMHO, the Shockwave design is not a good choice for a new gun owner. I've thought about getting a Shockwave grip for my 500 just to play with, so I'm not against them, I just don't think they are the right choice for someone who has never shot a gun before.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/2/20/mossberg-590-shockwave-top-selling-pump-shotgun-in-2020/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0221

It's what's left after people who have a clue bought up everything else.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 11:19:28 AM »
I bought a Mossy 500 years ago . . . .

Must be even more mossy by now . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 11:30:39 AM »
I can see getting one of the Shockwave shotguns, but not at the inflated prices lately and all I would likely shoot with it is the 1-3/4" mini-shells.  But it isn't the ideal and not worth the money they were going for last year. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:45:10 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
I built a Shockwave on a 500 cruiser with parts from Mossberg before they were sold retail. More as a "Just because I could" exercise than anything.

If I'd known they'd become so popular, I might not have bothered.

OTOH, I probably have one of the few Shockwaves with a 590 barrel cap, and a heavy 590 SBS barrel, and ghost ring sights.  :cool:

I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 11:47:01 AM »
I bought one (with the strap) a good while back.  It was pretty cheap, and may have been soon after rewatching Justified ...

Haven't shot it yet, though.  Maybe I'll take it to my new place and try it out.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 12:17:21 PM »
I have an 18" Ithaca 37 with a Pachmayr rubber pistol grip and forend.  It is not too bad to shoot.  I may or may not have been inspired by Corporal Hicks in 'Aliens'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 01:09:54 PM »
I have an 18" S&W 3000 police cruiser that I bought for a song years ago. It's got the birchwood stock and that stock is staying on it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 02:07:29 PM »
Since were talking shottie, I’ve been interested in the Keltec variant as well as an AR style shotgun but haven’t committed to buying one yet.  Anyone have any intel on them?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 02:16:06 PM »
Since were talking shottie, I’ve been interested in the Keltec variant as well as an AR style shotgun but haven’t committed to buying one yet.  Anyone have any intel on them?

No, but I can tell you the Black Aces Bullpup I got in Nov as a President "get a shotgun" Biden purchase is all kinds of fun to ring steel with.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/black-aces-tactical-bullpup-shotgun-bronze-left-hand-BATBPBRLH-702706998574

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 04:03:57 PM »
No, but I can tell you the Black Aces Bullpup I got in Nov as a President "get a shotgun" Biden purchase is all kinds of fun to ring steel with.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/black-aces-tactical-bullpup-shotgun-bronze-left-hand-BATBPBRLH-702706998574

The only reason I haven’t purchase is because I’m a left hand shooter and now you’ve settled that for me.  Once they become available again I’ll certainly consider one.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »
If I had a list of guns I must buy, the shockwave and anything similar is way down that list, like at at the end of it, after almost everything else.
And I don’t own a shotgun with full stock and pistol grip. Never will. I’ve shot them.
I would agree to meet you at the range and shoot skeet, sporting clays, or even a combat course. Your pistol grip anything against me and my non PG shotgun and I will outshoot you.
I might not look as Hollywood Uber tacticool but my 20” 870 with extended mag and big head safety is as modified as I need and I shoot my stock beretta 390 even better.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »
If I had a list of guns I must buy, the shockwave and anything similar is way down that list, like at at the end of it, after almost everything else.
And I don’t own a shotgun with full stock and pistol grip. Never will. I’ve shot them.
I would agree to meet you at the range and shoot skeet, sporting clays, or even a combat course. Your pistol grip anything against me and my non PG shotgun and I will outshoot you.
I might not look as Hollywood Uber tacticool but my 20” 870 with extended mag and big head safety is as modified as I need and I shoot my stock beretta 390 even better.

OK. 
First course of fire: Put your shotgun in a normal back pack and zip it up.  On buzzer, draw it and fire one round at a target.

Second course of fire: Conceal your shotgun completely (So that it can not be seen from outside the car) under the seat of a 1992 Honda Civic.  On the buzzer retrieve it and fire one shot at the target outside the passenger window while sitting in the driver seat.

Third Course of fire: While wearing a plate carrier with 7 full 30 round M4 Magazines, IFAC, 4 C.A.T's, 3 Sig P320 magazines, Sig P320 full size, and four full grenade pouches, and holding a loaded AR-15, secure your shotgun in a scabbard on your back.  On the buzzer draw the shotgun and deliver a breeching round to a simulated door without allowing the AR to touch the ground.

Fourth course of fire: In a shoot house that simulates travel trailer, store your shotgun next to or under a full size mattress in an 8x10ft room.  On the buzzer get out of bed, secure your shotgun, travel down a 24" wide hallway with a 90* right turn.  At the turn deliver one round into a silhouette 36" away.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
Fourth course of fire: In a shoot house that simulates travel trailer, store your shotgun next to or under a full size mattress in an 8x10ft room.  On the buzzer get out of bed, secure your shotgun, travel down a 24" wide hallway with a 90* right turn.  At the turn deliver one round into a silhouette 36" away.

That one is easy:

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
I have an 18" Ithaca 37 with a Pachmayr rubber pistol grip and forend.  It is not too bad to shoot.  I may or may not have been inspired by Corporal Hicks in 'Aliens'.

I almost bought a H&K VP-70 for the same reason, but for the atrocious trigger. The gun store employee let me play around with it for a while but it didn't grow on me. It was fun to watch the Forgotten Weapons video on that pistol almost two decades later to confirm it wasn't my imagination.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 08:02:51 PM »
Damn it.  Can't figure out how to share a YouTube video using my phone.  Go to YouTube,  search Thunder Ranch and Shockwave.  Clint Smith did an interesting video on the Shockwave, which left me with the impression that it could be a valid fighting tool.  But I then thought a 20 gauge would likely be a far better choice of "caliber" for the platform.  Less recoil, but plenty of power.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 09:22:07 PM »
Gunbroker is showing them in the mid $600’s

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 09:33:03 PM »
The shockwave is an answer in search of a problem - why would anyone buy it when you can have the awesome power of a Taurus Judge?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."