Author Topic: The NRA elbows its way into the McDonald Case  (Read 7367 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: The NRA elbows its way into the McDonald Case
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
In all fairness, if all gun control laws were repealed tomorrow the NRA would still exist and have a useful purpose. New shooter classes, competition etc. That's not something that can be said about most (any?) of the other orgs that are solely political.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 11:06:58 AM »
In all fairness, if all gun control laws were repealed tomorrow the NRA would still exist and have a useful purpose. New shooter classes, competition etc. That's not something that can be said about most (any?) of the other orgs that are solely political.

You're right about the NRA's activities to boost the shooting sports.

Most of the other orgs are solely financial.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
The ILA is the one that gets the most attention (when you include non-gunnies), and it would be dead.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
The ILA is the one that gets the most attention (when you include non-gunnies), and it would be dead.
It would go int'l. India is beginning to see the light.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
I think keeping more bad laws from being passed would be a full time job, too...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 03:50:47 PM »
In other words, the NRA is going for the most likely means of achieving greater gun rights and Gura is taking a bigger risk and trying to get more than simple incorporation by arguing for overturning an older judgement?

It's not that serious a risk. There's no serious scholarship to support Slaughterhouse, AFAIK.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time the SC has ruled in opposition to all sense or reason or "scholarship".

There's always a risk when we take our rights up with the SC.  This isn't something to take lightly.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »
I seriously doubt you're going to get five justices to rule for incorporation using the P&I clause.  It would definitely be nice, but I kind of doubt it.

More likely you're going to get 2 or 3 to vote based on P&I, with another 2 or 3 to vote based on due process. This isn't optimal, but it's still good;  a split majority decision on why it's incorporated against the state still means it's incorporated.  It just doesn't overturn Slaughterhouse.

One good thing about the P&I argument is that we may get one or more of the liberal justices to vote for incorporation using it, giving a 6-3 or 7-2 majority;  the left has been looking for a way to overturn the Slaughterhouse case for a while, and many are willing to team up with gun rights organizations in order to do it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth