Author Topic: And the Dems tried to destroy this man with pubic hair and a Coke?  (Read 2507 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/us/politics/04scotus.html?hp

WASHINGTON — In expansive remarks at a law school in Florida, Justice Clarence Thomas on Tuesday vigorously defended the Supreme Court’s recent campaign finance decision.

And Justice Thomas explained that he did not attend State of the Union addresses — he missed the dust-up when President Obama used the occasion last week to criticize the court’s decision — because the gatherings had turned so partisan.

Justice Thomas responded to several questions from students at Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport, Fla., concerning the campaign finance case, Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. By a 5-to-4 vote, with Justice Thomas in the majority, the court ruled last month that corporations had a First Amendment right to spend money to support or oppose political candidates.

“I found it fascinating that the people who were editorializing against it were The New York Times Company and The Washington Post Company,” Justice Thomas said. “These are corporations.”

The part of the McCain-Feingold law struck down in Citizens United contained an exemption for news reports, commentaries and editorials. But Justice Thomas said that reflected a legislative choice rather than a constitutional principle.

He added that the history of Congressional regulation of corporate involvement in politics had a dark side, pointing to the Tillman Act, which banned corporate contributions to federal candidates in 1907.

“Go back and read why Tillman introduced that legislation,” Justice Thomas said, referring to Senator Benjamin Tillman. “Tillman was from South Carolina, and as I hear the story he was concerned that the corporations, Republican corporations, were favorable toward blacks and he felt that there was a need to regulate them.”

It is thus a mistake, the justice said, to applaud the regulation of corporate speech as “some sort of beatific action.”

Justice Thomas said the First Amendment’s protections applied regardless of how people chose to assemble to participate in the political process.

“If 10 of you got together and decided to speak, just as a group, you’d say you have First Amendment rights to speak and the First Amendment right of association,” he said. “If you all then formed a partnership to speak, you’d say we still have that First Amendment right to speak and of association.”

“But what if you put yourself in a corporate form?” Justice Thomas asked, suggesting that the answer must be the same.

Asked about his attitude toward the two decisions overruled in Citizens United, he said, “If it’s wrong, the ultimate precedent is the Constitution.”

Justice Thomas would not directly address the controversy over Mr. Obama’s criticism of the Citizens United ruling or Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.’s mouthed “not true” in response. But he did say he had stopped attending the addresses.

“I don’t go because it has become so partisan and it’s very uncomfortable for a judge to sit there,” he said, adding that “there’s a lot that you don’t hear on TV — the catcalls, the whooping and hollering and under-the-breath comments.”

“One of the consequences,” he added in an apparent reference to last week’s address, “is now the court becomes part of the conversation, if you want to call it that, in the speeches. It’s just an example of why I don’t go.”

THAT right there is how a judge should be.  Divorced from the political machinations. 

It is a sorry statement on the State of our Union that the McCain/Feingold travesty was only narrowly defeated 5/4. :'(  We need more Clarence Thomases.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: And the Dems tried to destroy this man with pubic hair and a Coke?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »
Too bad so many of them are divorced from reality.
It is going to be interesting to see how the "lawmakers" that are so upset with this ruling attempt to reinstate the incumbent protection act.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/us/politics/04scotus.html?hp

THAT right there is how a judge should be.  Divorced from the political machinations. 

It is a sorry statement on the State of our Union that the McCain/Feingold travesty was only narrowly defeated 5/4. :'(  We need more Clarence Thomases.

Imagine if we had a Robert Bork ........
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »
Imagine if we had a Robert Bork ........

I'm sure the censorship would be wonderful.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:08:34 PM »
“I found it fascinating that the people who were editorializing against it were The New York Times Company and The Washington Post Company,” Justice Thomas said. “These are corporations.”

What's "fascinating" about predictable hypocrisy?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
What's "fascinating" about predictable hypocrisy?

I think he was more fascinated that those corporations were able to run that sorry game without getting called on it by near everyone.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »
Justice Thomas said the First Amendment’s protections applied regardless of how people chose to assemble to participate in the political process.
Attaboy, Clarence!