Author Topic: Feds Push for Cell Phone Tracking  (Read 11382 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Feds Push for Cell Phone Tracking
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 02:13:09 AM »
Sir, if you only believe leftists are interested in crushing your civil liberties and monitoring your communications, I have some very nice ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.
so, your plotting with the algore2000. crap my duct tape cellphone case is torn again. [tinfoil]

=D

erictank

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 05:59:16 AM »
$3.06, and free shipping. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32190

Several other styles available on the site under $5.

Looks like it just acts to block connection of the phone to the network, which might be a problem for some - my previous phone, an LG 8600, would look and look and look for a signal when I was somewhere it wasn't on the network, causing it to rapidly run the battery down.  My new phone (Motorola Droid) is either better about that - uses less power to search - or it just has a better antenna, as it doesn't seem to burn too much power looking for a signal in the same locations.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 09:10:25 AM »
Looks like it just acts to block connection of the phone to the network, which might be a problem for some - my previous phone, an LG 8600, would look and look and look for a signal when I was somewhere it wasn't on the network, causing it to rapidly run the battery down.

You'd probably want to go to flight mode or turn the phone off before putting it in the bag anyway.  Probably a better solution for employer-mandated GPS trackers.

DonTron

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
Here's my concern on the cell phone tracking issue:

Right now it's legal to buy prepaid cell phones anonymously, ie cash transactions for purchase of phone and minutes.  But for how long?

In Britain and Europe you have to provide ID to buy a phone, just as you do to get a post office box here in the US.

Personally, I've stockpiled some Tracfones and prepaid cards.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 02:02:57 AM »
Personally, I've stockpiled some Tracfones and prepaid cards.
Sorry to hear that.
TracFone Airtime cards expire one year from the date of purchase from an authorized TracFone retailer.
http://www.ldpost.com/recharge-cards/Tracfone-refill-airtime-top-up.html
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »
Try a cheap unshielded speaker.  Like your alarm clock or whatnot.

Truth. My cell phone will pulse the speakers on the 10+y.o. TV in my bedroom on a regular basis, esp. when getting a text msg.

??? from the unsophisticated: What exactly is flight mode?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
??? from the unsophisticated: What exactly is flight mode?

Turns off the RF side of the phone, while leaving the phone on so you can still use it for an alarm clock, play video games or whatever.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
Turns off the RF side of the phone, while leaving the phone on so you can still use it for an alarm clock, play video games or whatever.

Thanks....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.