Author Topic: Evan Bayh Not to Seek Re-Election  (Read 2547 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Evan Bayh Not to Seek Re-Election
« on: February 15, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »
Thought it interesting that someone as young as Bayh would choose not to run again. I have actually always respected the guy. I disagree with him on a good number of issues, but from what I have seen and read about him, he seems to have always been one of the more bi-partisan Democrats.

-----------------------
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100215/NEWS05/100215009/Evan-Bayh-will-not-seek-reelection

Evan Bayh will not seek reelection
By Mary Beth Schneider
Posted: February 15, 2010

Sen. Evan Bayh will not run for re-election, a decision that will shock Democrats and Republicans alike in Indiana.

In prepared remarks, Bayh, 54, cited excessive partisanship that makes progress on public policy difficult to achieve as the motivation for his decision.
Advertisement

“After all these years, my passion for service to my fellow citizens is undiminished, but my desire to do so in Congress has waned,” he said.

“My decision was not motivated by political concern,” he added. “Even in the current challenging environment, I am confident in my prospects for re-election.”

Bayh had never lost an election, from his first win in 1986 as secretary of state, his wins for governor in 1988 and 1992 and his election to the U.S. Senate in 1998 and 2004.

“But running for the sake of winning an election, just to remain in public office, is not good enough,” Bayh said. “And it has never been what motivates me. At this time I simply believe I can best contribute to society in another way: creating jobs by helping grow a business, helping guide an institution of higher learning or helping run a worthy charitable endeavor.”

Only days ago, Bayh’s staff, close associates and Indiana Democratic Party Chairman Dan Parker, who was manager of Bayh’s re-election campaign, had assured an Indianapolis Star reporter hat he would definitely seek a third term in the U.S. Senate. And Democrats recently released a poll showing Bayh easily ahead of both former Sen. Dan Coats and former U.S. Rep. John Hostettler, two of the four Republicans seeking the GOP nomination.

But in his statement, Bayh cited recent stalemates in Congress.

“Two weeks ago, the Senate voted down a bipartisan commission to deal with one of the greatest threats facing our nation: our exploding deficits and debt. The measure would have passed, but seven members who had endorsed the idea instead voted ‘no’ for short-term political reasons,” he said. “Just last week, a major piece of legislation to create jobs — the public’s top priority — fell apart amid complaints from both the left and right. All of this and much more has led me to believe that there are better ways to serve my fellow citizens, my beloved state4 and our nation than continued service in Congress.”

The decision ends one of the brightest political careers by Indiana Democrat, at least for now.

Bayh, the son of former U.S. Sen. Birch Bayh, had been the nation’s youngest governor when he first won Indiana’s chief executive job at age 33 in 1988, and was frequently mentioned as a possibility for vice president, and was on President Barack Obama’s list of only three finalists before Obama settled on former Sen. Joe Biden. Bayh also considered running for president himself, launching an exploratory effort in 2006 for the 2008 Democratic Party nomination before dropping the effort only a couple weeks later.

He was born in Shirkieville, near Terre Haute, to Birch and Marvella Bayh; graduate from Indiana University in 1978 and received a law degree from the University of Virginia in 1981. He and his wife Susan have 14-year-old twin sons, Nick and Beau.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Evan Bayh Not to Seek Re-Election
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
Success!

=D

I know a lot of happy Hoosiers who are thrilled as can be right now.  This took a lot of work, and it's wonderful to see it pay off so well.  We were expecting a big fight in November to take his seat from him, but this is even better.

My suspicions are that Bayh is jumping off the train early, to avoid the impending train wreck this November.  Take a coupla years off, lay low until the current mess blows over, avoid the inevitable damage that comes from associating with Barry Obama.  That's the only way he can salvage any political future he might have.  

Some other folks I've talked to this morning say that Bayh is possibly considering a move higher up the ladder, maybe as high as Veep or Prez and as early as 2012.  I'm skeptical about that, but who knows.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:40:50 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
“My decision was not motivated by political concern,” he added. “Even in the current challenging environment, I am confident in my prospects for re-election.”

Riiiiiiiiiiight....

That's hilarious, Senator Bayh.

Buh-Bayh.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:38:01 PM »
This is the best political day that Indiana has had since Paul Helmke agreed to run the Brady Bunch!

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Bruce H

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
Too bad the people of Indiana can't stuff Luger in Byah's duffle bag.
It is possible to always be wrong.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »
Heard from some more people today.  It seems that Bayh is a bit pissed at the Democrat leadership in Washington for making him go along with this health care debacle.  He didn't bother to tell anyone in his party he was leaving until this morning, despite the fact that he apparently made his decision to leave a week or two ago.  Never mentioned his plans to leave office to anyone else in the Senate or in the party organization back in IN.  

This is a big deal because it leaves local IN Democrats scrambling to figure out who to run in the primaries, if anyone.  The primaries are in May, and in order to have your name on the ballot you need to submit 4,500 signatures from voters all over the state by the deadline, which just happens to be tommorow at noon.  By withholding any mention of his intentions to leave, Bayh essentially just spiked the Dems' chance of putting up an organized and effective candidate for the primaries and hence the general election.

It's further complicated by the fact that there is one Democrat who planned to run in the primaries, a screaming far left lib from Bloomington who thought Bayh shouldn't be Senator because he's too moderate.  She has an organization in place and has been working on her signatures for a few weeks now.  She's the only person in a safe position to meet the requirements to be on the primary ballot for the Senate seat nomination.  The local Dem party didn't care about her, they had planned to hand over an uncontested nomination to Bayh as the incumbent, but they can't ignore her now that Bayh is out.

I can only assume that there are a whole bunch of loyal Dem party workers who will have to give up any chance of sleeping tonight in order to get a good candidate on the ballot to oppose the moonbat from Bloomington.  I wish I could see it.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:29:14 PM »
This is a big deal because it leaves local IN Democrats scrambling to figure out who to run in the primaries, if anyone.  The primaries are in May, and in order to have your name on the ballot you need to submit 4,500 signatures from voters all over the state by the deadline, which just happens to be tommorow at noon.  By withholding any mention of his intentions to leave, Bayh essentially just spiked the Dems' chance of putting up an organized and effective candidate for the primaries and hence the general election.
Sounds like payback to me. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
I was reading about this earlier today and as I recall, if no one has submitted their petitions by tomorrow, there just won't be a primary. However, in that case, a candidate can simply be chosen. They already have some viable candidates to choose from.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
I was reading about this earlier today and as I recall, if no one has submitted their petitions by tomorrow, there just won't be a primary. However, in that case, a candidate can simply be chosen. They already have some viable candidates to choose from.
Yup.  That's the usual arrangement for when there's an incumbent seeking reelection.  It's an uncontested nomination, the Party chooses the incumbent by default and nobody objects.  That's what they planned to do with Bayh.

The interesting possibility is that the Bloomington moonbat restaurant owner turns out to be the only Dem able to get on the ballot.  She'd win the primary by default and the Dem Party would be obligated to give her their nomination.  There's no way she could win the general election, so whoever secures the Republican primary would have a walk-on Senate seat wating for him/her in November.  

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:20:34 AM »
In all the articles I've read I have not seen any mention of anyone getting on the ballot. The assumption in all the articles is it is too late and they will choose a successor.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
That is correct, nobody got a full petition submitted to run for the Dem primary, so we're back the the uncontested nomination.  The state Demp Party will choose their nominee arbitrarily.