Author Topic: Smoker in D.C. + Quit Smoking + Stimulus Money = Free Blackberries  (Read 1970 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Sorry it is just all video

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2010/02/11/levs.free.blackberries.smokers.cnn

$977,346
1 Full time job

Your .gov stimulus money at work.  :facepalm:
I really don't have any other words.

http://crackberry.com/stimulus-program-provides-free-blackberry-smartphones-help-quit-smoking

Stimulus Program Provides Free BlackBerry Smartphones to Help Quit Smoking
By Adam Zeis | 12 Feb 2010 11:40 | 56 comments

It appears that Washington DC has started up a recent program set to cost $977,346 that will provide smokers with BlackBerry Smartphones (CNN - I forgive you for writing "BlackBerries" and not "BlackBerry Smartphones") in hopes of helping them quit. The plan is run by the American Legacy foundation, and the idea behind it is that smokers will have a 24/7 line to get support while trying to quit. Their BlackBerry will give them 24/7 text support, help connect with others who are trying to quit and options to help prevent relapse. We're not 100% sure if the devices will carry any special applications to aid in this process, or if they are just bare-bones devices. Check out the video above for the full details (shoutout to the hardcore guy still rocking the 7130e in the video) . What are your thoughts on this? Will having a BlackBerry help you quit smoking? Leave a comment and let us know! Thanks to Brian for sending this in!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:13:19 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Smoker in D.C. + Quit Smoking + Stimulus Money = Free Blackberries
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:24 PM »
Text or summary for those of us who can't/don't want to listen to a video?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »
LArge government program to get people quit smoking which utilizes Blackberries.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:27:21 AM »
How do you qualify? Heck for a free blackberry, I can start smoking again for a while...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:59:15 AM »
I did a search on the organization and from what I read (2009 financial disclosure) they are not funded with taxpayer $$, as far as I saw.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:26:10 AM »
I did a search on the organization and from what I read (2009 financial disclosure) they are not funded with taxpayer $$, as far as I saw.

That is true, the org is not funded with taxpayer $$, but with tobacco settlement money.  According to Clinton News Network the Blackberries will be purchased with stimulus money.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:00:44 PM »
That is true, the org is not funded with taxpayer $$, but with tobacco settlement money.  According to Clinton News Network the Blackberries will be purchased with stimulus money.

Now that's something completely different. Still stolen money, thanks.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
i bet they did this so THE obama could get a free blackberry. =D