Author Topic: Looks like I may need a new teewee...  (Read 6682 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Looks like I may need a new teewee...
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »
Our tv has been dying for a while, and as we get ready to move I don't feel like schlepping it's massive CRT butt to a new place just to have to chuck it out in a few months. So I start the research process for a new one, even though given my druthers we'd toss it out and go without one.

So, I have no idea what's going on in the tv world these days. Lcd, plasma, or? Any good sites to do research on the various models? I don't need something huge, maybe somewhere in the mid-30's like our current model. We watch the occasional movie and maybe do a little light Wii gaming. I'm also interested in using it as a monitor, but it would need to be able to switch from monitor to tv easily.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Looks like I may need a new teewee...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
check woot every day  they had 32 inch 1080 kcd yesterday for 399 plus 5  bucks shipping
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:58 AM »
I recently did the research and made a purchase.  It is documented here on APS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »
I recently bought a Toshiba 40XV645U for my mother that she uses in her bedroom. Did some tweaking of the settings with a calibration DVD, and wound up with an EXCELLENT picture - easily the equal of Sony & Samsung sets costing twice as much. Sound quality, on the other hand, is rather lacking . . . which is typical of most flat panels.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
I recently did the research and made a purchase.  It is documented here on APS.

Ok, maybe my search fu is just weak, but I can't find anything on this.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
Don't listen to what salemen say. Research TVs at newegg for some info.

LCDs are reccomended if you live in high elevations or like gaming.

If you prefer watching movies with lots of fast action go with plasma, or a high refresh rate LCD.

Avoid plasmas if you watch shows with stagnant images. Burn in isn't as bad as it used to be, but I don't believe it is completely eliminated.

IMO, and this is completely unscientific, I think LCDs last longer. TThus us based solely on comparison between friends' and family's TVs. They cost a little more, though.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »
Or....

If space isn't an issue, toddle down to the local Goodwill, and plunk down $25 for a 25" CRT...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
When I researched for my new one a bit over a year ago, Samsung won it for me hands down. Besides EXCELLENT image quality, you can attach a bajillion different devices to it and switching between them is as easy as hitting a single button on the remote. I have DVD, DVR / cable box, Roku, Wii, and two computers hooked up to mine and each device synchs up perfectly when you go to it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
One brand I would pass on is Westinghouse.  Their exceedingly poor customer service is the reason, the TV was actually pretty good.  My TV broke around January 7th or so of 2009.  It was finally replaced with a working TV in either late April or the very first few days of May.  During my first conversation with a customer service rep I was told the whole process would take 3 weeks from beginning to end.  They were only off by a little!  ;/

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
Sounds painful...  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
There were some moments that would make for good comedy.  When a non working replacement was shipped to me one apologetic CS rep stated "We'll just keep sending you TV's till you get one that works!"  He meant well but it wasn't a confidence builder.  Another CS rep, Rory (may you rot in hell forever!), was being stubborn about putting my paperwork to the head of the line after they had f'ed it up several times.  He also didn't want to let me speak to a supervisor.  I laughed and told him that it had been a couple of months since my TV worked, I was bored and would love to talk all night with him since I had nothing better to do.  Two minutes later his supervisor was on the line, filling out everything that they had f'ed up earlier.

To be fair to Westinghouse they actually did replace the TV with a larger, better version than what I had.  I did also have one long conversation with somebody higher up in the food chain about what a bunch of rude screwups they had working in the customer service department that dealt with electronics.  But I'll pass on Westinghouse from here on out.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
Ok, maybe my search fu is just weak, but I can't find anything on this.
I don;t think the search function works quite right on APS.  On the rare occasions I've wanted to search for old threads that I know exist, the search can't seem to find them.

As for picking a new TV, I say go to the store and stare at all of 'em for a while.  If you look critically, you can see differences in picture quality.  Stick with the major brands and buy the one that looks best to you and fits your budget.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
I don;t think the search function works quite right on APS.  On the rare occasions I've wanted to search for old threads that I know exist, the search can't seem to find them.

This.

I just spent 15 minutes searching for my own thread and came up bupkis.  APS search tool or google.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »
Balog, what kinda TV you got?  Reason I ask is that depending on the type and any blink error codes it might be showing, you may be able to repair it fairly cheaply if you're at all handy w/ a soldering iron.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

sanman

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »
When I researched for my new one a bit over a year ago, Samsung won it for me hands down. Besides EXCELLENT image quality, you can attach a bajillion different devices to it and switching between them is as easy as hitting a single button on the remote. I have DVD, DVR / cable box, Roku, Wii, and two computers hooked up to mine and each device synchs up perfectly when you go to it.

When I was looking last December, I was completely ready and sold on Samsung for what I was looking for. Then Best Buy had a sale on a 52" LG LCD with everything I wanted, especially 240hz and very good specs. Checked the owner surveys, it rated 4.9 of 5 everywhere I checked with significant numbers of replies.

We love it. Haven't regretted it a minute. Do your research and decide what features/specs are important to you then keep your eyes open. Good prices/service can be had with Crutchfield.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 11:19:08 PM »
Oh, and I know what you said about possibly replacing it to avoid moving it.  But if your home buying experience is like mine, you might have a lot more expenses than you expected.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »
Balog, what kinda TV you got?  Reason I ask is that depending on the type and any blink error codes it might be showing, you may be able to repair it fairly cheaply if you're at all handy w/ a soldering iron.

Apex CRT. We got it 7 years ago as a wedding present. It's not technically broken, it just has very poor image quality, some ghosting etc. Still "works" but if it keeps degrading it'll be unwatchable in a while.

Like I said, I'd rather just have no tv at all, but if we have to replace it I want to get something that'll last us another 7 years. Doesn't have to be huge or fancy or anything, just a solid workmanlike piece of equipment. And since this falls into the "Expensive purchase with lots of complicated options" as well as the "Subjects I have zero interest in learning anything about" categories, I'm kinda hoping to get guidance that doesn't involve me spending hours poring over minutiae I don't want to know.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:18:45 AM by Balog »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58:28 AM »
Samsung makes many of the LCD panels in laptops

They have an excellent screen
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
old TV thread

found it using this google search: "site:armedpolitesociety.com tv advice" (without "")

try this method to find old posts if search fcn fails.

Balog:

Per your requirements,

I reccomend LCD, 1080 if you are serious about the monitor, at least 120 Hz if you play fast moving games.

If this TV will mostly sit in the corner, the get a name brand LCD as cheap as possible. If will work well enough IMO.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »
Thanks Alex! So, Hertz is obviously a frequency measurement. I assume higher Hz = faster refreshes or something?

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
Thanks Alex! So, Hertz is obviously a frequency measurement. I assume higher Hz = faster refreshes or something?

yes. The lower the refresh, the more likely motion is to be "choppy." this applies to HD sports as well. I think 120 Hz is sufficient, it does take a little time to get used to. I think the LCD is more likely to last 7 years, and will probably retain it's HD resolution longer.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
the idea behind 120 and 240hz tvs was more to allow showing 24, 30, and 60hz sources without  using telecine(wiki link),at least that's why i wanted it. =D the adding extra frames, well i say it's a marketing gimmick. but i don't like the effect,(if you do, you don't need worry about the rest.) you should be able to disable it. unless you buy one of the sets i've seen reviewed that said you couldn't ? :facepalm:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »
Samsung makes many of the LCD panels in laptops

They have an excellent screen

I just saw some Samsung computer monitors at Costco last week. They were REALLY impressive. Although I'm hooked on Samsung in the TV arena, I've always been a Viewsonic guy on monitors. I'm looking at going to a bigger monitor for my workhorse computer and I think I'm going to go Samsung on that too. My current Viewsonic Vg2230 looks really nice, but it just doesn't compare to how vivid the Samsungs (didn't get their model numbers) were, and price is comparable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
Balog,

Since you said you would just as soon go without a tv, I assume that price is more important than quality.

Samsungs definitely give a good return for the extra money. But they still cost more.
Here is a link to newegg LCD TV's, priced 500-750. Neweggs prices are generally one of the lowest, but you never know. Their site contains information you might find helpful, should you decide to read it.

I would be looking at the 32" LG, seems to be an overall balance of what you want (at a glance)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »
I would be looking at the 32" LG, seems to be an overall balance of what you want (at a glance)

I would agree with that. If you're looking for best bang for the buck, it would be Samsung IMO, but best bang for the least amount spent, LG would be in the top choices in my book. I don't have any of their TVs, but I have other LG appliances and they're all well made and reliable.