Author Topic: Just dropped $400.00 on a new pair of glasses.  (Read 6681 times)

Jason

Just dropped $400.00 on a new pair of glasses.
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:48:08 PM »
When did glasses get so small? I had to get a new pair, and went with a Nike logo pair of Flexons.

I couldn't get over how small they were! They look like the hippie glasses of the 60's, and that's the last thing I want to look like. My I bought my first pair of Flexons five years ago, and I thought they were small at the time. Now they are huge compaired to the new ones.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:51:26 PM »
39dollarglasses.com
Career Corrections

Jason

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 12:56:10 PM »
How long would a 39.00 pair of glasses last?

I thought five years on my old pair was great. They are still going strong, I just wanted a change.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 01:04:32 PM »
two years so far plus I liked them so much I sent antique (gold) wire rims to have my prescription put in with bifocals for $80.  Just about ALL frames are made in China but none the less the quality is as good as any American made frames plus they have a "no questions asked" warranty.  I sent a pair of nez pince rims in and I didn't like where the bifocals were so they re-did them free.
Career Corrections

Jason

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 01:09:06 PM »
Maybe I'll buy some sunglasses from them.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »
It is weird how small glasses seem to be this year. I just spent two days looking for a frame big enough so that my prescription wouldn't make me look like an owl in those bitty frames.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 04:55:40 PM »
My right lens costs $400...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 06:09:15 AM »
Well... my latest glasses cost about $380 total. But those are shooting/riding glasses with multiple lenses, perscription clips, etc. Last regular glasses I got, I picked up in Thailand for <$100

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 11:23:29 AM »
I get a break on price on Eye Doc visits, frames and such as my Doc is married to my cousin.  Seems to me mine retailed for ~ $300 , Bifocals and I prefer the lined.  This last time mine were a bit smaller as well, these are Ray-Bans.

I still have the Eddie Bauer frames and the Sunglasses that afix to them...

When I first started having to wear glasses ( bi-focals to read) I was married at the time. My ex made a comment / gave advice I listened, agree with and have practiced.

"You have always said Steve one should never skimp on taking care of one's eyes or feet. Do NOT get cheesy frames. Folks will take note of and judge you on good looking glasses that fit".

She was right . Even though I was NOT happy with the loss of my Chuck Yeager vison...I felt good about myself and others complimented my Polo's ( first frames) .

I have heard so many folks complain about ill fitting frames, or not wearing their glasses because they were "cheesey" - "out of style"...etc.

I only get one set of eyes, so I take care of them. Might as well look good, feel good, If'n I gotta have glasses.

I actually like these smaller ones in comparison to what I had....I forget I have these on.

Jason

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 12:08:33 PM »
I will say this though, I run the tally on the glasses up myself. They didn't try to push anything on me, that I didn't want.

They are about the only good eye doctors in town. The exam is done by a real doctor, and not some tech. With glasses my vision is about 15/20.

26point2

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 01:47:01 AM »
Last October I spent > $2K on glasses and contacts...ya see my company has a medical reimbursement...any type of co-pays or out of pocket expense get reimbursed.  Total for the year is ~$2200.  It also covers eye exams and glasses and such...I didn't spend any of the money on other doctor stuff so I just went crazy with the glasses.  Got a nice pair of Nike sunglasses that are prescription.  Anyway, I plan on doing the same thing this year and just donating my old glasses.  It's a use it or lose it...might as well use it..

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »
When did glasses get so small?
Maybe your head got too big!  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jason

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 01:04:21 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
When did glasses get so small?
Maybe your head got too big!  Cheesy
Na, that's just my ego.

XLMiguel

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 05:45:06 PM »
Ah, the price of being a 'dedicated follower of fashion'.  I, too, replaced my oldguy aviator-style goggles with probably the same set of Flexon Nike rims you did, in kind of a titanium color (my old glasses are also Flexons).  I really like the Flexons, they're the most comfortable specs I've ever worn, very difficult to break, and I've been wearing glasses since the fourth grade.

Glasses have gotten expensive - by the time you go for scratch-resistant polycarbonaate lightweight lenses with progressive bifocals, anti-glare/nonreflective coating (polarzing is even more) in a nice set of frames, you're well on your way to five clams retail.

Good spec that fit well have a lot to do with quality of life on a daily basis, and my eyes are too imortant to me to gamble on cheap glasses.

Jason

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 01:30:40 PM »
I have worn Flexons for five years, and besides being out of date, they still look new. They only thing on my Flexons that ever showed wear were the nose pads. They have been replaced twice, at no cost to myself.

My new glasses will look just like this.

The only thing I am not so hot on, is the blade type temples, I can live with that though. I was told the lenses already had an anti-scratch, and an anti-glare coating. The only thing I had added was an 8% grey tint.

XLMiguel

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 02:08:21 PM »
Yup, that's them, my compliments on your fine taste.  I also got a pair of sunglasses in different (slightly larger) Flexon frames, the tint added another $30.  Thank goodness for insurance.

Jason

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 03:39:13 PM »
Thanks.

Hopefully I can pick them up Monday.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 09:46:32 PM »
Bendable Titanium 5
Bendable titanium frame with light & thin Rx lenses, UV & Scratch coatings, and polished edges ... $89.00  

Bendable Titanium 4
Bendable titanium frame with light & thin Rx lenses, UV & Scratch coatings, and polished edges ... $89.00  
 39dollarglasses.com

Bendable Titanium 2

Bendable Titanium 8

Bendable Titanium 6

Bendable Titanium 1

Bendable Titanium 3

Bendable Titanium Semi-Rimless 7
Bendable titanium frame with light & thin Rx lenses and anti-reflective coating, UV & Scratch coatings, and polished edges ... $139.00  

Kids Bendable Titanium 9
Bendable titanium frame with light & thin Rx lenses ... $89.00  

Kids Bendable Titanium 10
Bendable titanium frame with light & thin Rx lenses ... $89.00  

Bendable Titanium Rimless 5
Bendable titanium frame with light & thin Rx lenses and anti-reflective coating ... $129.00  

Bendable Titanium Rimless 2
Bendable titanium frame with light & thin Rx lenses and anti-reflective coating ... $129.00  

Bendable Titanium Rimless 1

Bendable Titanium Rimless 6

Bendable Titanium Rimless 3

Bendable Titanium Rimless 4
Career Corrections

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »
I've got glasses just like Donald Rumsfeld has or had and like Tony Blair used to have.

Titanium arms, with no hinges and rimless.

Light as anything, tough as boots. Cost me loads, but have lasted nearly three years now.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 03:24:04 PM »
LASIC!

Unless your 50 years old + you can't go wrong with LASIC.  Even if your more mature LASIC is great, just harder to recoup the expense.