Author Topic: Weird Gmail+Firefox 3.5.6 problem  (Read 1571 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Weird Gmail+Firefox 3.5.6 problem
« on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »
I recently upgraded to Firefox 3.5.6 on my XP machine.  If I log into Gmail, then open a new tab (or open a new tab and log into gmail from the new tab), then switch from the non-gmail tab back to gmail, the browser spikes the CPU to 100% for a few seconds, tying up the browser until the CPU drops back to normal.  After that spike, Gmail functions fine, but if I switch tabs, then come back to gmail, it happens again.

This doesn't happen on my other machines with Firefox (3.0.x or 3.5.6).  For plugins, I'm only running: Adblocker, NoScript,  FireFTP, OldBar, and Discover's Secure Account Number generator.  I was using all of these plugins prior to upgrading to 3.5.6 without issue.  Also, the browser crashes from time to time.  Something's broken, but I can't figure out what it is and I can't find any info online about it.

Suggestions?

Chris

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Weird Gmail+Firefox 3.5.6 problem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
First thing to test: Does it happen if you start firefox in safe mode?

I haven't noticed that particular problem.  I do get crashes occasionally, but the only gmail issues I've had were a few months ago where after a long time open, the FF js engine seemingly got wedged and gmail would revert to simple mode.  Haven't noticed that recently.  That might have been related the gmail smime and pgp addons which I've since disabled.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:36:05 AM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »
Huh.  I was unaware of safe mode.  I'll try that tonight.

Thanks,
Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I was able to narrow it down to that Discover card plug in.  No clue why it was causing problems, but disabling it fixed the issue.  Having safe mode kept me from doing a lot of tedious troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Chris