Author Topic: Computer Temp - This Doesn't Seem Normal  (Read 2165 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Computer Temp - This Doesn't Seem Normal
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »
So I just installed Speedfan on my new computer. The i7 CPU and cores are all in the low-mid 30's, which I'm pretty happy with. But weirdly, my system temp is showing in the low 50's. I can't figure out why the MB would be showing up so hot when the CPU is so cool.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe the MB temperature sensor is near where my GPU is seated? I have an Nvidia GTX260, which as expected, runs in the mid 50's under normal load and up to the mid-high 60's under a good load. I can only speculate that there's some "heat bleed-off" from the GPU affecting the MB sensor.

I've got three case fans -- two blowing air in and one blowing air out (inline with one of the intake fans -- the second intake is on the case side).

Any speculation on the MB temp? I might try and reverse my side case fan to see if maybe I just need to blow more internal air out, versus cooler external air in. I did want to keep a bit of positive pressure though, to reduce internal dust buildup.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Computer Temp - This Doesn't Seem Normal
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »
Personally, I don't worry much about component temps unless the system becomes unstable.

In your situation, "move more air" seems to be the general advice.

Try taking the panel off your case and aiming a box fan in.  What happens to the temps then?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
It might be reporting the Northbridge temp, you can drill down deeper into Speedfan to see exactly which sensor is which.

My Northbridge runs right around 40 degrees C, even though my Xeons are running at 34. Had I water cooled my Northbridge chip, I'm sure it would be right there with the processors, too.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »
Well, I've already had the panel off the case, and it does bring temps down a bit, but not that much. In fact no change at all on the CPU (I'm using an Arctic Cool on the CPU, which seems to be the bomb). I'm more and more thinking it's heat bleed-off from this ginormous ( I can't believe my spellcheck didn't go off when I typed that, though it did go off when I typed "spellcheck") video card.

I didn't do my case research as well as I should have. I should have gotten a slightly larger case. The video card takes up almost the entire length and breadth of the case. In fact one of the drive bays had to be tweaked out a little for the card to extend into it. I'm thinking that's part of the problem as two of the fans are above the card, and only the front fan is below it, and partially blocked by my HDs, so heat seems to be building up in the bottom with no place to go.

I think I might spend 10 ducats on a slot fan for a bottom pci slot and see if that won't pull that trapped air out and counteract the video card a bit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

LaserSpot

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:28:41 AM »
The case fan should blow outward; this pulls cool air through the hard drives and prevents it from sucking hot air from the power supply exaust. I wouldn't trust speedfan to measure sensors other than the CPU. I've seen it report temps below freezing. The real test is to put your finger on all the heat sinks (touch the case first to discharge static). If you can't touch one of them for more than a second, you have a problem.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
The case fan should blow outward; this pulls cool air through the hard drives and prevents it from sucking hot air from the power supply exaust. I wouldn't trust speedfan to measure sensors other than the CPU. I've seen it report temps below freezing. The real test is to put your finger on all the heat sinks (touch the case first to discharge static). If you can't touch one of them for more than a second, you have a problem.

That's not 100%, as there can be a thermal disconnect between the chip and the heatsink, such that the sink remains relatively cook while the chip cooks.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »
I should have gotten a slightly larger case. The video card takes up almost the entire length and breadth of the case. In fact one of the drive bays had to be tweaked out a little for the card to extend into it. I'm thinking that's part of the problem as two of the fans are above the card, and only the front fan is below it, and partially blocked by my HDs, so heat seems to be building up in the bottom with no place to go.

I think I might spend 10 ducats on a slot fan for a bottom pci slot and see if that won't pull that trapped air out and counteract the video card a bit.

You may have hit on the problem, Ben.  A PCI-slot exhaust fan would be a relatively easy way to test the idea.  Get a decent one, just in case it fixes the problem and you decide to leave it in place.

Also, GW98's comment about speedfan reporting the chipset temps dovetails nicely into yours about how the video card bisects the case.  Chances are, the Northbridge chip is in the lower, poorly cooled area of your case.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
Well, got the slot fan (Antec Cyclone). It brought the system temp down to 48-50, so not a big drop. Helping the graphic card temp by a degree or two at idle as well. Didn't bring the system temp down as much as I thought it might. At idle the air blowing out from the slot fan is barely lukewarm, and after playing a game or something intensive, is pretty warm, so I know it's sucking hot air out.

Maybe there is just an inaccuracy with Fanspeed, or I'm just not getting air directly to the sensor. Interestingly, after installing the slot fan, CPU and core temps (all above the graphics card) also dropped a few degrees. CPU is idling around 27 now.

Might continue to play with fan placement, but since I'm not crazy about this case anyway, might still upgrade it at some point along the way.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 06:42:57 PM »
Is there a heat sink on the Northbridge chip?  If so, is it correctly seated?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

LaserSpot

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:45:22 PM »
That is a good point, you can have a thermal disconnect if the heatsink is crooked or lacks themal compound. Go into the BIOS, it may have a health monitor that lists all the temps and you can compare with speedfan. I wouldn't worry much unless it was getting above 70C.

Even with three fans, you may not have much airflow through the heat sinks on the MB if they're in a dead-air area of the case.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
Yeah the BIOS lists temp, but only shows CPU, which oddly, it shows as closer to system temp than to CPU temp in Fanspeed. Nothing has showed the system getting above 59 even after heavy use, so I'm not too concerned about catastrophic overheating, just more generally concerned from the longevity standpoint.

I'll check components and see if all is correctly seated and looks okay.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 05:29:10 AM »
Related to thread title:

Before doing my mass account and freespace wipe, the temps I would consistently get ranged from ~120oF (SETI disabled) to 160oF (SETI enabled).  Now, after clearing everything and starting anew, it's hovering around 84oF.  What gives?  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
Related to thread title:

Before doing my mass account and freespace wipe, the temps I would consistently get ranged from ~120oF (SETI disabled) to 160oF (SETI enabled).  Now, after clearing everything and starting anew, it's hovering around 84oF.  What gives?  ???

You probably had some other processes running that you were not aware of.  Wiping everything, those processes are gone.  Whether they were legit processes is anyone's guess.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 05:33:44 AM »
You probably had some other processes running that you were not aware of.  Wiping everything, those processes are gone.  Whether they were legit processes is anyone's guess.
[tinfoil]
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams