Author Topic: From the "some are more equal than others" department...  (Read 3238 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
From the "some are more equal than others" department...
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
Just read a memo the boss got from one of the state (Ohio) judges associations...they are pushing for legislation to have judges declared by statute as law enforcement officers.  Why?  It would make them exempt from CCW requirements, allow them to ignore the "do not carry" signs at stores and such, and also allow judges to carry nationwide under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.  Apparently, a few judges up in the Cleveland area have issued court orders declaring themselves to be law enforcement officers, and stating that they must carry a weapon as a part of their duties to make themselves fall under that act, but they're looking for some statutory support for their orders.

Personally, I'm not liking this idea.  Like you guys, I don't like "more equal" laws.  I also don't think judges should be declared LEOs, because of the seperation of powers under the Constitution.  Judiciary and Executive(law enforcement) are intended to be seperate branches.  Blur that line, and bad things can happen.  I'm not a cop, and I don't want people to think of me as a cop.  I'm a judicial officer.

And, I really don't like the proposal, because it doesn't include magistrates, so I wouldn't get any benefits from it.   ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: From the "some are more equal than others" department...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »
Just read a memo the boss got from one of the state (Ohio) judges associations...they are pushing for legislation to have judges declared by statute as law enforcement officers.  Why?  It would make them exempt from CCW requirements, allow them to ignore the "do not carry" signs at stores and such, and also allow judges to carry nationwide under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.  Apparently, a few judges up in the Cleveland area have issued court orders declaring themselves to be law enforcement officers, and stating that they must carry a weapon as a part of their duties to make themselves fall under that act, but they're looking for some statutory support for their orders.

Personally, I'm not liking this idea.  Like you guys, I don't like "more equal" laws.  I also don't think judges should be declared LEOs, because of the seperation of powers under the Constitution.  Judiciary and Executive(law enforcement) are intended to be seperate branches.  Blur that line, and bad things can happen.  I'm not a cop, and I don't want people to think of me as a cop.  I'm a judicial officer.

And, I really don't like the proposal, because it doesn't include magistrates, so I wouldn't get any benefits from it.   ;)

I'll bet dollars to dounuts that this comes up on some of the other boards I'm on specific to Texas, and about how bad ass it is and how you "don't mess with Texas"  ;/

:facepalm:

I don't know why I keep thinking you're in Texas...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:48:08 AM by jamisjockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:33 AM »
Personally, I'm not liking this idea.  Like you guys, I don't like "more equal" laws.  I also don't think judges should be declared LEOs, because of the seperation of powers under the Constitution.  Judiciary and Executive(law enforcement) are intended to be seperate branches.  Blur that line, and bad things can happen.  I'm not a cop, and I don't want people to think of me as a cop.  I'm a judicial officer.

You don't want to be Judge Dredd?  But you'd get an awesome gun to go with it!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »
You don't want to be Judge Dredd?  But you'd get an awesome gun to go with it!

Nah.  I'd look stupid in that helmet.  And I don't have the bod for those blue tights.   :rofl:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
I also don't think judges should be declared LEOs, because of the seperation of powers under the Constitution.  Judiciary and Executive(law enforcement) are intended to be seperate branches.  Blur that line, and bad things can happen.  I'm not a cop, and I don't want people to think of me as a cop.  I'm a judicial officer.
These are some really good points.  I wonder if that would eventually result in legal challenges.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
Nah.  I'd look stupid in that helmet.  And I don't have the bod for those blue tights.   :rofl:

But you could scream "I AM DA LAW!"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »
. . . Apparently, a few judges up in the Cleveland area have issued court orders declaring themselves to be law enforcement officers, and stating that they must carry a weapon as a part of their duties . . .
Making law, not interpreting it.  :mad:

This is even worse than SCOTUS declaring themselves exempt from Federal income tax.

This kind of cr@p serves only to reduce respect for public officials and the offices they hold.

The implications aren't pretty . . . neither are the unintended consequences. And I find that worrisome. It's bad enough that the general populace holds Congress and POTUS in very low regard . . . if now the courts begin to be considered illegitimate . . . that's not a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:59:28 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
The best protection for an institution is respect for that institution. Separating yourself, or especially elevating yourself, from the community you serve is the certain road to undermining respect.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »
Making law, not interpreting it.  :mad:
Worse than that.  Making laws, interpreting laws AND enforcing laws.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
Were I in your shoes and industry, I would vocally lobby against it under the separation of powers argument.  On teh nooz.  With that argument.

It's so horrendously morally bankrupt and self-serving that I lack words to fully describe my condemnation of it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
Update:  The response has been overwhelmingly against this proposal.  The survey is showing 92% opposed.  Most frequent comment "get a carry permit like everyone else."

maybe some hope for the future, huh?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
I think judges should be able to lawfully CCW without a permit, just like everyone else  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »
I read this thread, and then I scan down to the thread about it being judges being targeted.  and I wonder.

I think it's probably not a direct causal relationship, but I think it's probably one of the reasons that support for the .gov (all branches) is crumbling.  what happens when that support finishes crumbling will be bad for everyone.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »
I think judges should be able to lawfully CCW without a permit, just like everyone else  :angel:

Yup. I'll gladly foot the bill to add ballistic glass to the judge's bench in the court room if they'd nullify all infringements on the 2A.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:29 AM »
Yup. I'll gladly foot the bill to add ballistic glass to the judge's bench in the court room if they'd nullify all infringements on the 2A.

Funny, because the bench I sit behind is allegedly armored.  Makes me completely safe from the waist down.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »
Funny, because the bench I sit behind is allegedly armored.  Makes me completely safe from the waist down.   :lol:

So all your importantest parts is protected.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »

Exactly right!