Author Topic: Dear God in Heaven, this may be The End!  (Read 1582 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Dear God in Heaven, this may be The End!
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »
The ACLU and the NRA both state that proposed gun control legislation would be unconstitutional!

http://news.yahoo.com/gun-control-laws-face-tough-constitutional-test-161620090.html

What's next?  Dogs and cats living together in harmony?

I truly never ever believed that the ACLU would oppose any gun control.  I stand corrected.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Dear God in Heaven, this may be The End!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
This obviously means it will go to SCOTUS and Roberts will find it entirely Constitutional based on the Commerce Clause.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »
This obviously means it will go to SCOTUS and Roberts will find it entirely Constitutional based on the Commerce Clause.

I laughed. And then I cried.

If you guys see any pigs in the air, it may be the result of my joining or contributing to the ACLU. Maybe if a few hundred thousand of us did that, it might help them stay on the right side of the issue.

We can always tell them to sod off, if we need to.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »

Unfortunately, I believe you are entirely correct.  I no longer trust Robert's reasoning abilities.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
I no longer trust Robert's reasoning abilities.

He's quickly becoming a Breyer clone.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:58 AM »
The ACLU and the NRA both state that proposed gun control legislation would be unconstitutional!

http://news.yahoo.com/gun-control-laws-face-tough-constitutional-test-161620090.html

What's next?  Dogs and cats living together in harmony?

I truly never ever believed that the ACLU would oppose any gun control.  I stand corrected.

Excuse me while I go check my fridge for Gozer.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
Why now.  Why now after multiple decades of opportunities does the ACLU to actually defend "liberty" from the conservative side of the spectrum.  My suspicion meter is pegged.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »
This doesn't really surprise me. I am surprised that it hasn't happened sooner.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
Why now.  Why now after multiple decades of opportunities does the ACLU to actually defend "liberty" from the conservative side of the spectrum.  My suspicion meter is pegged.

This case intersects with other areas they have an interest in?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »
This case intersects with other areas they have an interest in?

Yup.  This is the first one where registration was implicit, or country wide "approval" was proposed for a fundamental right.  They see it easily transitioning (as we all have been screaming) to other rights (speech, assembly, due process, search/seizure, voting, etc) that the gov sees as "given" to the public, rather than already existing.

Effectively, requiring a purchase (background check fee) to exercise a right finally made someone have the thought process of...wait...isn't this like a poll tax?

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »
It's a tax.  Taxes are legal just like Obama Care.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 05:14:47 AM »
It's a tax.  Taxes are legal just like Obama Care.

Perhaps we should let those twits declare healthcare a "right".... that way obamacare can be struck down as a poll tax.