Author Topic: The future of self-defense law...  (Read 1208 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
The future of self-defense law...
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
As I watch the results of the Zimmerman trial, I see one trend among many of those speaking in front of whatever camera is available.  Most are saying crap like "respect the jury," but suddenly I'm seeing more and more politicians who are coming out and saying things like "stand your ground needs to be changed."  And, like that proverbial lightbulb, here's what I fear happening from what I've seen.  These people tried to attack gun ownership and lost.  They know a direct attack on self-defense law is a sure failure as well.  Instead, they'll attack stand your ground laws by saying"isn't it reasonable to ask someone to try and run before they can shoot down an unarmed attacker?  Shouldn't we make someone like Zimmerman run away from the punches, and not just let him gun down an unarmed child?"  As we know, ask the questions the right way, and get poll results the way you want them to read.  Suddenly, politicians start amending laws, and I see a swing back to requiring an attempt to retreat before deadly force becomes justified.  I don't see them being able to argue that a person should be forced to flee his own home before resorting to deadly force.  But with the CCW laws in place, I can see a retreat requirement being considered in several states soon.

Thoughts?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
Re: The future of self-defense law...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
Some of the politicians have effectively said "It's better for a victim to absorb a beating than to shoot & kill their attacker."

I don't think this is going to go over very well on Main Street.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
I don't think this is going to go over very well on Main Street

At least not in fly over country.

But I've seen that attitude even here in what should have been clean SD shoots.
http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/man-involved-stand-your-ground-shooting-has-unique/nLfkp/

I could see "duty to retreat" being enacted/added in the liberal enclaves.
IIRC when I was stationed in CT (85-89) there was a duty to retreat even from your own home.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Our Rulers never did like duty to retreat.  Zimmerman provides the excuse to try to change it back which I think is destined to fail.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
In some places maybe.

Floridians (you know the folks who get to vote for FL legislators) tend to like our SYG law. It works well for us.

As has often been said Zimmerman's was NEVER a SYG case.  Nowhere in this country do you have a duty to retreat when you are pinned to the ground.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
I can't find the case and I'm not sure of the details but I remember a story abut a woman convicted of shooting (killing?) an intruder after he trapped her and her children in the basement and she didn't "retreat" out the tiny basement windows, Chicago maybe?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »
Nope, Illinois actually has a fairly strong SYG law.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »
I tend to agree with others.  SYG laws had a lot of popular support which is why they were passed in so many state legislatures.  Some idiot politician speaking against it in D.C. does not impress me. 

It was liberal political BS that eroded common law self defense in the first place.  SYG was just an attempt at trying to get it back. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge