Author Topic: Can someone help me understand this? Changes National Security Counsel makeup.  (Read 1978 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Trump is removing the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the Director of National Intelligence from the National Security Counsel, and replacing them with political adviser Stephen Bannon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/us/stephen-bannon-donald-trump-national-security-council.html?_r=0

I can't understand why in a group intended to discuss national security issues and develop plans you kick out the top military official and the top intelligence official.  Yes, I know, they're invited show up when they can.  But, seriously, what's the benefit here?  I'm not seeing a positive on this one...

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Maybe he got carried away with drain the swamp
Quote from: Sean Spicer
reorganization of the N.S.C. in order to streamline an antiquated and bloated bureaucracy.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
Could be he thought their time was better spent dealing with issues in their areas of responsibility. 

What exactly does the national security council do?  Is that just an advisory group for the President or is there some other role they play?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
My memory from an American Foreign Policy class I took back in the day is that the NSC advises the president on issues of national security and foreign policy, and then acts to coordinate responses through the various involved agencies.  Where I'm hanging up on this in my mind is that, to me at least, intelligence would seem essential (as would knowledge of military assets and capabilities as well) to discussions of national security and foreign policy issues.  If you want to expand the council to include an adviser, knock yourself out, Mr. President.  But why are we having some pretty important assets/advisers seated at the kiddie table instead of with the grown ups trying to make decisions?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
We might be trying to find smarts where there aren't any.

As far as the Military advisor and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs - SECDEF is already at the council meetings anyway.  When the Secretaries were career civilians it made since to have a uniformed General there as a reality check.  The current SECDEF can probably handle it.

The Directer of National Intelligence is a relatively new position. (circa 2005)  Perhaps Mr. Trump feels like that office isn't unsnarling the intel community lack of communication like it was supposed to?   

Hawkmoon

• friend
Elimination of redundant redundancy is usually a good thing ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
Trump is removing the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the Director of National Intelligence from the National Security Counsel, and replacing them with political adviser Stephen Bannon.

Freudian slip there, Counselor?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
Freudian slip there, Counselor?

Yep.  Some habits die hard.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

T.O.M.

• friend
Reading now that Sec. Energy and Ambassador to the UN have also been kicked out. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

cordex

• Administrator
Spicer is currently claiming that nothing has changed and that the idea was to allow them to choose not to attend meetings where their input would be unnecessary.  His example was a meeting about a pandemic.

MechAg94

• friend
I assume all of them with have more junior people there for every meeting anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
The new narrative is that Bannon is pulling the strings and Trump didn't even know what he was signing
Quote from: NYT
Mr. Bannon remains the president’s dominant adviser, despite Mr. Trump’s anger that he was not fully briefed on details of the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban.

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I'm not clear on this one, but isn't the National Security Council's input (among some other entities) required to declare a full-blown National Emergency?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
The new narrative is that Bannon is pulling the strings and Trump didn't even know what he was signing

They said similar things about Reagan. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

Yeah, because I'm sure that's how The Donald operates.  He built his entire empire totally unwittingly, based on what Earl the late shift janitor left on his desk to be signed.

DittoHead

• friend
Bannon is out now
A White House aide told US media the reshuffle was not a demotion for Mr Bannon.
The aide said Mr Bannon was only given a seat on the NSC to keep an eye on National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, who was fired in February.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Trump's next National Security Adviser:     (even the demorats are scared of him.)

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
Bannon is out now
If true, that sounds like Flynn was either an unknown to the Trump team or on thin ice already when he was fired.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
... wrong thread, sorry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.