Author Topic: Question for Bogie....Door seal restorers?  (Read 494 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Question for Bogie....Door seal restorers?
« on: December 04, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
I have a 2002 F 150 supercab that leaks air and whistles.  I went to a body shop and they did the dollar bill test and adjusted the passenger side door.  It is better but not great.  Do any of the so called "gasket and seal restorers" actually work?  No point wasting my money of they are all snake oil.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Question for Bogie....Door seal restorers?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm not Bogie, but I would use silicone spray lubricant.  It seems to be really good for natural rubber.  Spray it on, wipe off the excess.  Saddle soap might be worth a try too but I've never tried that on rubber.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
I took the freedom panels (3 pc top) of my Jeep and cleaned them and then used mother’s RVL rubber vinyl leather treatment. Worked great.
Is the wind noise at the top of the door?
I bought a new truck and complained about the wind noise. The dealer dinked with it but it wasn’t any better. They said they would pay to have a body shop fix it. I was shocked that it only involved the auto body guy holding the door open by the handle and firmly thumping the top of the door a couple times with his other hand. Fixed it in less than 30 seconds.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
I took the freedom panels (3 pc top) of my Jeep and cleaned them and then used mother’s RVL rubber vinyl leather treatment. Worked great.
Is the wind noise at the top of the door?
I bought a new truck and complained about the wind noise. The dealer dinked with it but it wasn’t any better. They said they would pay to have a body shop fix it. I was shocked that it only involved the auto body guy holding the door open by the handle and firmly thumping the top of the door a couple times with his other hand. Fixed it in less than 30 seconds.

But it probably took the body shop guy lots of study and years of experience to learn how to do it that way.  I was watching on YouTube the other day a professional who was doing a full body vinyl wrap on a Mercedes sportscar.  My mouth was hanging open in awe as I saw how quickly and skillfully he was able to do it without a wrinkle or sag anywhere. Amazing.

Also following the thread for suggestions on the wipe down of the seals; I use the same aerospace 303 protectant that I use on the interior plastics.  I will be interested to see if there is something else I should be using.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 06:35:11 PM »
Most folks do a light touch with a little bit of silicone or WD...
Blog under construction