Author Topic: What will happen if people don't trust elections?  (Read 2595 times)

dogmush

• friend
What will happen if people don't trust elections?
« on: November 02, 2022, 04:43:05 PM »
oooh look.  Sneak preview of next week in Portland and Austin:

https://twitter.com/laralogan/status/1587859491537780737?s=20&t=l23RHzZXKJ5VYNVhJgNzzw

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/protestors-burn-tyres-set-up-28371609

(Link is different then pic, but same basic stuff)

Reports are thousands of people have surrounded Brazil's version of the Pentagon to request a military coup.  Should be interesting times.

HankB

• friend
Re: What will happen if people don't trust elections?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 05:47:56 PM »
In Philadelphia they're already saying it will take "days" to finalize results. With most of the rest of the country able to report final results within 24 hours or less - usually much less - critics are saying they'll need that time to manufacture votes for the D candidates.

Of course, the critics are just denialists who want to destroy democracy - like they tried when Obama beat Romney in 59 Philly precincts by a tally of 19,305 to 0, a margin which would have satisfied Ferdinand Marcos or any of the last three Nork leaders.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 06:03:15 PM »
The situation in Brazil is definitely getting sporty.  Still have family down there, so getting pretty regular updates.   Reports are that especially in the Northeast, where leftist control is heaviest and cartel influence is heaviest, some areas are reporting more votes for "Lula" (the leftist loon) than the entire population of the area.  The running jokes are that the mass resurrections of dead in order to vote (for Lula, of course) clearly are a sign of the Second Coming of Christ. 

Truckers are literally stopping on the highways and blocking major roads/freeways in protest. 

Things will definitely get more interesting.  A lot of the right-wing are effectively demanding a military coup in order to hold a "do-over" election with strict controls by the military - ID checks and the like - prior to voting.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 06:29:09 PM »
Congratulations immediately started pouring in for Lula from across the world, with US President Biden saying the win came "following free, fair and credible elections".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-63451860
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 08:58:20 PM »
What will happen if people don't trust elections?

They will be one step closer to a realistic understanding of our phony "democracy" in the USA.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 05:48:43 AM »
They will be one step closer to a realistic understanding of our phony "democracy" in the USA.

No. That's not what will happen.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 09:59:03 AM »
What do you think will happen, dogmush? 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 10:25:11 AM »
I think people will retreat farther into their ideological tribes and continue to ratchet up their justifications for violence against the "others".  The internet and information will continue to bifurcate, and each side will latch on to any evidence that the other side was bad as a true smoking gun, while dismissing anything else as disinformation.

As each side's rhetorical circle jerk increases in velocity people will internalize that our transfer of power is "fixed" or "illegitimate" and use that fixation to justify increasingly disruptive and violent demonstrations, which will eventually (probably not next week, but probably during our lifetime) result in one or more of the armed factions of the federal government seizing control of large parts of the country with violence, and installing whomever the folks with guns want as the "legitimate" leader.

I see zero chance that human nature and US culture will allow any significant number of people to lose faith in a series of elections and conclude that the whole thing was corrupt from before they were born.  Not when they can cleave to their notions of morality and blame the others.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 02:08:27 PM »
It doesn't matter who you vote for. All that matters is who counts the votes.

So follow that line of reasoning.  If that's true, why should you listen to the edicts of the people elected?  Why, other than an immediate tactical reason, should you allow their agents to enforce a law on you.  Take that one step farther, If it really doesn't matter who you vote for because the vote count is rigged, and men with guns will enforce the edicts of the winners of the rigged vote count, why shouldn't you preemptively take out those men with guns and the illegitimate "winners" before they enforce their edicts? Especially if the illegitimate "winners" are literally killing and enslaving people.

And that kids, is why this doesn't end with people realizing this is a scam, it ends with violence.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 02:53:21 PM »
and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government,

We're not quite there yet but things are trending in that direction.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 02:59:46 PM »
It doesn't matter who you vote for. All that matters is who counts the votes.

I am stealing this for a signature line! How or do you want to be cited?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 03:07:08 PM »
I am stealing this for a signature line! How or do you want to be cited?

Joseph Stalin
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 03:14:37 PM »
Yup - that was Joe (or it may have been Nikita... I dismember).

Things are really damn close to switch-flipping time.
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 03:46:21 PM »
Found this cite: "I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how." - Josph Stalin 1923; Boris Bazhanov - The Memoirs of Stalin's Former Secretary (1992)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 03:55:09 PM »
Like a lot of sayings attributed to famous people no real evidence he actual said it though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 04:27:49 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 06:05:51 PM »
Like a lot of sayings attributed to famous people no real evidence he actual said it though.

"One should never entirely trust what one reads on the internet"

-Ben Franklin
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 06:38:04 PM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/11/03/wow-sounds-like-theres-some-serious-fkery-going-on-with-the-city-of-milwaukee-election-commission/

Kimberly Zapata, the deputy director of the City of Milwaukee Election Commission has just been fired for committing election fraud by obtaining fake military ballots and sending them to Assembly Elections Committee chairwoman Janel Brandtjen.

Fired?  Why not arrested?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 06:49:44 PM »
So follow that line of reasoning.  If that's true, why should you listen to the edicts of the people elected?  Why, other than an immediate tactical reason, should you allow their agents to enforce a law on you.  Take that one step farther, If it really doesn't matter who you vote for because the vote count is rigged, and men with guns will enforce the edicts of the winners of the rigged vote count, why shouldn't you preemptively take out those men with guns and the illegitimate "winners" before they enforce their edicts? Especially if the illegitimate "winners" are literally killing and enslaving people.

And that kids, is why this doesn't end with people realizing this is a scam, it ends with violence.

I already pay no attention to the edicts from Washington.  I'm not sure why *anybody* listens to anything FJB or Kamala says.  But I'm kinda stuck at that step, hoping for a better outcome next time around.
"It's good, though..."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 07:05:13 PM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/11/03/wow-sounds-like-theres-some-serious-fkery-going-on-with-the-city-of-milwaukee-election-commission/

Fired?  Why not arrested?

She will end up facing charges. Apparently, there was a man in Racine that did something similar in order to point out weaknesses in the WI absentee ballot request program. He "requested and received absentee ballots in the names of lawmakers and local officials in July. That man, Harry Wait, said he wanted to expose vulnerabilities in the state's elections system. He has been charged with two misdemeanor counts of election fraud and two felony counts of identity theft — charges that could land him in prison for up to 13 years." CBS

I did a quick search and there are quite a few outlets reporting on this.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 09:54:28 PM »
"One should never entirely trust what one reads on the internet"

-Ben Franklin

"Ben Franklin is the biggest liar on the nets."
 -- Cardinal Richelieu
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2022, 08:17:15 AM »
People actually trust elections?

Hillary doesn't trust elections. She's made that very clear to her supporters.

Stacey Abrams doesn't trust elections. She's made that very clear to her supporters.

The Dems are telling us to trust the election process while two (or more) of their most visible party members have spent the last several years.... denying the legitimacy of elections.

Not to mention all of Trump's bullshit.

Wait... it's not that people don't trust elections...

It's that people don't trust politicians.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."