Author Topic: Construction techniques and costs  (Read 4683 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Construction techniques and costs
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:09:11 AM »
So in the near future I will be building a barn/garage. Most likely 30x40 ish feet.
What is the most cost effective technique to build a structure this size. Since this will be visible from my house and the road it needs to be nice looking but not cost a fortune. Ideally it will look like the classic red barn.
So it could be stick built, pole barn, post and beam?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Construction techniques and costs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:15:05 AM »
The cheapest is going to be a pole barn, later when you have money and the code man is gone you can go back and put in the concrete floor, electricity, AC, and bar.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:00:27 AM »
30X40 isn't big enough. I have a 30X50 and it is way too small.
Mine is a pole barn construction, painted metal and contrasting trim with a white roof.
If I had it to do over I'd have gone 40x60 but that would still be too small eventually.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:31:47 AM »
the engineered truss structures maximize the useful interior spaces

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/workshop-feature-projects
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »
Have to agree with Harold, the engineered stuff is pretty impressive and darned cost effective.  All you do is pour the slab, making sure the dimensions are correct and the pads are properly placed, and put up the building.  Costs a little more up front but you way more than make that up in labor savings.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
The steel masters are nice in theory but to ugly.
Town would never let something like that be built. And like I said before I am IN town. Just happen to have the biggest piece of property in the town (proper).
I do have one advantage of a architect in the family.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
pre fab can be pretty:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »
The steel masters are nice in theory but to ugly.

An un-ugly pole barn?  You realize what "pole barn" generally infers something like this, right?

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/products/pole-barns

Sounds like you're looking for something more traditional.  Scroll down to the 35x40 building size and it will let you load a PDF of the specs, including a full set of scale drawings.

http://metalbuildingdepot.com/specials/default.aspx

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »
The metal building depot has some nice stuff. I'll have to keep that in mind. One of these days I'm going to stop by the morton buildings office and check out what they have.
Oh Harold that modern steel building is nice but it still would not fit in. This town dates back to 1700. Again not going to happen, plus I bet that thing was big coin.
A few months-mods

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
A pole barn is going to look like however you finish it.

I've seen lots of them with no walls used just for storing hay.

Or you can completely finish off the outside with either metal or wood.  How it is held up on the inside makes little difference to the outside finish.

I once worked on a huge steel framed building, where we built a bunch of 2x4 walls to fit in between the steel pillars, anchored them with a .22 nail gun, and then sided the outside with board and batt.  I had people tell me later that it was a completely wood framed building   :lol:

I don't think pole frame construction is very efficient when you are going to finish the building inside and out, because you end up framing the structure twice: first with the posts in ground and then with all the 2x4s to hold the siding, sheet rock, etc.  Would be faster and cheaper to just frame it with studs to begin with.

The advantage of pole barns is no foundation.  If you're going to put in a slab later then you might as well do it up front and make it easier to build.

We're wanting to build a mostly enclosed hay barn, and will probably go with pole barn construction because it will just be dirt floor.  We'll put pallets in to set the hay on, and one end will be open for the horses to run in for shelter and to be fed, with some steel panels for separation.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 12:26:20 AM »

An un-ugly pole barn?  You realize what "pole barn" generally infers something like this, right?

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/products/pole-barns

Since when does a Quonset hut qualify as a pole barn?

Which doesn't change the fact that pole barns are, by default, ugly. Cheapest thing that'll look halfway decent is conventional 2x4 or 2x6 wall construction with trusses for the roof. Nicer, but more expensive, is post-and-beam.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »

Which doesn't change the fact that pole barns are, by default, ugly. Cheapest thing that'll look halfway decent is conventional 2x4 or 2x6 wall construction with trusses for the roof. Nicer, but more expensive, is post-and-beam.

Once you have the outside enclosed/finished, no one would know whether it was a pole barn or framed with lumber.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »
I've seen some really nice horse barns that are pole barn construction.

Unless you have a source of logs and a way to cant (or hew) them into beams, post and beam is going to cost you a fortune to build.

http://www.barntoolbox.com/post-and-beam-barns.htm
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »
Don't know what part of the country you're in, but you might want to pay attention to things like unsupported spans and snow loads . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »
Once you have the outside enclosed/finished, no one would know whether it was a pole barn or framed with lumber.  ;/

what he said,   you can dress them up as nice as you like.  metal or wood siding,  stone or brick kneewalls,  etc
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2