Author Topic: Pet food shortages  (Read 1567 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Pet food shortages
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »
If you're feeding a grain free diet, google dialated cardiomyeopathy pets and read up on it. It's pretty sobering.

Thanks for that.  I was just about to reply that I am very confused about the grain vs grain free stuff. It seems a majority view that too much corn is not good, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting info on "good grains" vs "bad grains" vs "grain free". From my reading, I seem to be getting that having some grains is beneficial to canine health. Not sure about the feline side.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 09:42:37 AM »
One of my friends is an emergency vet and she and I spoke about this. She also owns Leonbergers. There is a HUGE amount of controversy and conflicting information on pet foods in general.

One site will say X food its the best food EVAH! and another site will give it zero stars and accuse the company of trying to poison pets.

She's the one who told me "You're not going to go really wrong with a higher-end kibble from one of the MAJOR players in the industry. That's was when I was looking at pulling Seren off her organic raw meat/veg diet because I got tired of her refusing/wasting more than half of what I put down for her. It was FAR too expensive for her to be pulling that *expletive deleted*it.

I ended up going with Iams Lamb and Rice, but then switched over to Purina ProPlan when I ran out of Iams when I was staying with Castle Key. He was feeding the ProPlan at the time so I gloamed some from him and Seren absolutely inhaled it. She loved it, and she still likes it. The one mistake I did make was than I moved her to Chicken ProPlan and that turned out to be a huge mistake because I'm pretty sure it caused allergy issues that resulted in ear infections that I'm still fighting. Things are better since I switched her to the Lamb and Rice ProPlan, but it still has poultry by products in it, so I'm thinking of trying to switch her to one of the Lamb and Oatmeal sensitive stomach and skin formula as it pulls all of its glucosomine source from fish boyproducts instead of poultry byproducts.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »
There's lot of poor information; not quite misinformation, about grain-free diets.  (this is just for dogs, right?  All meat is probably okay for cats)  I think they don't really know what the exact problem is, just know that there is one.  It might even be the sweet potatoes or peas or something like that they put in boutique foods to make up for the missing grain.  My vet warned me about dialated cardiomyeopathy a couple years ago and wanted to know what we're feeding the dogs.  She still asks every time we go in.

Purina Plus and ProPlan are good stuff.  I've used it before.  Plain old Dog Chow is probably okay too; it has a lot of cheap ingredients but at least they are good quality.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 10:23:10 AM »
The whole issue with DCM and grain free appears to be how canines use and process taurine, one of the essential amino acids.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 10:27:22 AM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
After reading this thread back in April, I figured I might as well get a couple of 30-lb bags of Purina. Just looked at petco.com and Chewy, and they still have it in stock.

But hey, so do I.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2021, 10:11:49 AM »
Went to Kroger, out of canned kitten food.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »
Went to Kroger, out of canned kitten food.
It is almost kitten season again, so they should be able replenish stocks soon.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »
Costco had a ton of dog food when I picked up a bag to give Steve the old switcharoo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2021, 05:21:38 PM »
We haven't had any issues with getting our lamb and rice for the dogs, or the high quality we feed Her Highness the cat who rules the household.  We usually go to Tractor Supply, but Orshelen and Rural King have it too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »
After reading this thread back in April, I figured I might as well get a couple of 30-lb bags of Purina. Just looked at petco.com and Chewy, and they still have it in stock.

But hey, so do I.  =)

Yeah, the problems seem to have hit some companies a lot harder than others. I'm still seeing shortages of some kinds locally, but so far Purina isn't one of them.