Author Topic: Hot peppers and Hot sauce. Burn baby burn!  (Read 1013 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Hot peppers and Hot sauce. Burn baby burn!
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:58:17 AM »
Forecast calls for a freeze tomorrow night so I pulled some pepper bushes from the garden. I brought them in to the garage so I could sit down and pick and save what I could (can't let anything go to waste). among the jalepenos and chilis were one carib habernero and one tiny little mystery pepper plant with beautiful little ruby peppers about the size of a #2 pencil eraser.
When I bought my started plants this spring from the greenhouse where we do a lot of business, I complained to the owner that our jalepenos were very mild last year. I blamed my soil and the weather but he shook his head, said he didn't know why they would be mild. Then he said wait here and he disappeared to the back and soon reappeared with the little "mystery" pepper plant and gave it to me. "What's this?" He said, "It's hot, and if you figure out what they're good for, let me know."
Well, I'm here to tell you they are HOT. I chewed 2 of them. Hotter than the hubs of hell. Fill-my-mouth-with-jalepeno-and-habernero-and-chase-it-with-sulfuric-acid-hot. Bobbing-for-frenchfries-hot. My fingers still feel like they are burned and my nose is still running today, even though the oral burn was pretty short duration, my mouth was numb for another 30 minutes. I put some in the dehydrator in the garage and after it started to warm I knew I had to move it out to the barn where the vapors will surely kill any living thing. I think I'm going to make some hot sauce but my wife said not in her kitchen. Wish me luck.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

slugcatcher

• friend
Re: Hot peppers and Hot sauce. Burn baby burn!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
I worked with a former Marine who brought home some seeds from the Phillippenes that sound similar to what you have. He gave 1 little pepper to our boss. Now our boss thought raw jalapenos were mild so when he started to chew on the little lava pellet he choked a little from the intense burning sensation that was quickly eating away the soft tissue of his mouth and throat. As luck would have it a small amount went into his nasal cavity and caused him to bleed a good amount. A decided not to try one. The Marine told us they had been soaking in vinegar for a couple of weeks and are usually pretty mild by then.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »
Could be either Tepin or Thai peppers.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:04:43 PM »
Might be chile pequins (little chiles).  When dried they look like peanuts with the red skin still on.  My dad grabbed a hundful of those "peanuts" and dumped them in his mouth at a family reunion.  I thought he looked pretty good with a scarlet colored face.  It took about one hour for him to return to normal.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
They are not as elongated as the Thai pic in the link but they did grow upward like candles. most are about 1/2" long and 1/4-3/8" around, but some are about the size and shape of a kitchen match head.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
That is what my Thai peppers ended up looking like this year. Our growing season was terrible. I came off of vacation 2 weeks ago and finally had some ripe tomatoes and thai peppers.

Now they are all dead from the cold and everything else will go in the next 3 nights. We are looking at lows in the teens.

bob

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:12:01 PM »
My little brother is coming over tomorrow and we are going to make some chilli.  I picked up some habanero and Serrano peppers to go with my Dave's insanity sauce.  I'm not going to burn him out from the inside, but there will be some pain.  He thinks he is immune to hot stuff!

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »
I just picked my peppers today as well. It's gonna get cold in the next few nights. Living in the city helps extend the season, but an early freeze will kill them. We had a real mild fall years ago, and we were growing peppers until the end of November.

We have a nice collection of anaheims, serranos, jalapenos, red thais, and habeneros. Some we eat, some we freeze, and we dry some out in the oven.

KPT

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 01:14:53 AM »
I don't get the stupid hot stuff.

I grow jalapenos in my garden, don't want anything hotter than that.
Just picked these today:

Don't eat them straight. Just cook with them.

I give a lot to my parent's neighbor. She makes the best hot sauce I've ever had. She used to sell it commercially but not any more. She'll give me as much as I want when I'm down there.