Author Topic: More earthquake fun at Yellowstone: More than 1000 quakes since Sunday.  (Read 2698 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
This time the scientific types say the quakes are related to adjustments occuring in existing faults, not the movement of magma or other volcanic activity.
The story is here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
Re: More earthquake fun at Yellowstone: More than 1000 quakes since Sunday.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »
This time the scientific types say the quakes are related to adjustments occuring in existing faults, not the movement of magma or other volcanic activity.
The story is here.

Well, that is good, considering a volcanic eruption there would be... umm... bad. [popcorn]
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »
That seems like a lot of quake activity for it to just be a fault moving around a bit.  But I am neither a seismologist or a geophysicist, nor do I play either one on TV.  Hell, I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:46:17 AM »
As someone living about 80 miles north of the caldera, I'm not worried...

...because I'd be nigh-instantly killed without too much pain or discomfort if it were to go up.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »
As someone living about 80 miles north of the caldera, I'm not worried...

...because I'd be nigh-instantly killed without too much pain or discomfort if it were to go up.

Yeah, you'd be one of the first to know.   :O
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:03:13 AM »
I got the (soon to be ex-) owners of this house to knock some money off for proximity to Yellowstone, actually.  :lol:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 01:24:04 AM »
I got the (soon to be ex-) owners of this house to knock some money off for proximity to Yellowstone, actually.  :lol:

Wonder if that would work here in MI? Ya know, when it comes to calderas, 10 miles or a 1,000 doesn't make a lot of difference.
I guess it would depend on my sales ;) abilities.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 04:03:45 AM »
Yeah, it would be pretty bad for anyone in the US if that thing popped. I think I agree that being taken out quickly might not be such a bad thing.  =D

The movie was 'meh' overall, but did anyone else see the CGI Yellowstone eruption in '2012'?
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

robear

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »
The movie was 'meh' overall, but did anyone else see the CGI Yellowstone eruption in '2012'?

Yeah, but I learned all you have to do is run away from it.  Easy!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »
Sweet! Where can I get a pair of shoes that can hold up to running the 200-300 mph needed to get away from the initial pyroclastic flow?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
Payless maybe?  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »
Yeah, them escaping was pretty funny. The effects were great for it though!
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »
That thing blows and I have a front row seat.  Nevada is littered with rhyolite and thunder eggs created from the last explosion. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
That thing blows and I have a front row seat.  Nevada is littered with rhyolite and thunder eggs created from the last explosion. 

Damn near everyone in the western United States has a front row seat.   :lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
there might be some rows missing heck row a might be in denver
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
A true example of TEOTWAWKI indeed. [popcorn]