Author Topic: Woohoo! I Get to Build an Electronic Tester Kit  (Read 1493 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Woohoo! I Get to Build an Electronic Tester Kit
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:40:03 PM »
I recently purchased one of the Anatek Corp. Blue ESR Capacitor testers.  It comes either pre-assembled or in kit form.  I purchased the kit version to save some funds, and just to have the enjoyment of building an electronic kit.
I haven't put anything this complex together since I last built a Heathkit.  Years ago I built some of their amateur radio equipment, receivers, transceivers, grid dip meters, etc.  It was a blast building those back in the day.  I am really looking forward to building this ESR meter.   :cool:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Woohoo! I Get to Build an Electronic Tester Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
Enjoy it while you can.  Soon, all it will be is

plus

=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
That's a good thing, ya know.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
Okay, major suckage.  The parts are way too small.  I have to use a magnifying glass.  What's up with that?  When did that change?  It didn't used to be this way.  I don't remember 16 pin DIPs being that small!    :mad:

=D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
Okay, major suckage.  The parts are way too small.  I have to use a magnifying glass.  What's up with that?  When did that change?  It didn't used to be this way.  I don't remember 16 pin DIPs being that small!    :mad:

=D

You know you're good when you can solder under a microscope.   :cool:
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:32:42 AM »
The ESR tester works like a champ.  It only took a couple of hours to build, calibrated easily, and tests capacitor ESR values very simply.  Another tool for my electronic tool box.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:21:28 AM »
Okay, major suckage.  The parts are way too small.  I have to use a magnifying glass.  What's up with that?
This is the very reason I gave up on electronics the first year I took it in night school. 

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »
Minaturatization has come a long way........and my eyes have gone a long way!!!!!!!!

Bob

(spell check??)
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »
Minaturatization has come a long way........and my eyes have gone a long way!!!!!!!!

Bob

(spell check??)

So true.  Sigh...  I forgot that ICs in the 16 pin DIP form factor were the size of grains of rice.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
Yup, darned things are getting smaller by the day.

Just the other day I was grousing because I was fiddling with a socket for a 12AT7 tube, and noting how small the durned things were compared to EL-34s.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
I haven't put anything this complex together since I last built a Heathkit.
Whoa, a blast from the past. I grew up with a kid who's father built their stereo, a Heathkit. It was a real ass-kicker for it's day. (1968 or so) My brother also built his first stereo and had it for over 20 years. (Dynaco)
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster