Author Topic: U.S. Navy: 2, Somali Pirates: 0  (Read 2458 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
U.S. Navy: 2, Somali Pirates: 0
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
The US Navy has had fun two days in a row with Somali pirates.  In the first event, five pirates actually attacked the USS Nicholas, a frigate, a few hundred miles west of the Seychelles Islands, about 1230 local time Thursday.
The pirates managed to get themselves and their mothership captured, and their skiff sunk.

Earlier today, the USS Farragut, a destroyer, disarmed a group of pirates and sank their mothership off the coast of Somalia after responding to an attack on a tanker.

The attack on the Nicholas was entirely too amusing, as the pirates apparently are having serious problems with proper target identification.

Stories here and here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
Re: U.S. Navy: 2, Somali Pirates: 0
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
The attack on the Nicholas was entirely too amusing, as the pirates apparently are having serious problems with proper target identification.

I think they picked the perfect target. =D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:03:33 PM »
still playing nice are we?  the problem will remain till we get chinese in our response.  and its a bonus for the sharks. next few times unleash all we have this side of a cruise missile and video it.  make video's public  rinse lather repeat till the lesson is learned.mother ships too.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:38:05 PM »
The Nicholas reminds me of an attempt a few years ago. The pirates were following what they thought was a resupply ship. Well they get within two miles of the ship and it begins turning. To their horror and no doubt the ship's great amusement, it turned out they were stalking a German Destroyer. Germans 1, pirates 0.

An earlier event in 2006 involved a US Destroyer following a mothership (outboard motorboat) towing two skiffs from just over the horizon all night. Come morning a US Cruiser appears in front of em. Yup, all night the Destroyer was radioing a Cruiser into an intercept. US Navy Cruiser + Destroyer (10,000 ton ships apiece) vs. 1 Motor boat and 2 skiffs. And the pirates actually tried shooting at them.  :laugh:  The cruiser and destroyer just kinda drove in circles around the poor saps shooting back. Short story, the motor boat was burned to the waterline, the two skiffs impounded and numerous pirates arrested/wounded/killed.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:40:17 PM »
Short story, the motor boat was burned to the waterline, the two skiffs impounded and numerous pirates arrested/wounded/killed.

I would think that one five inch shell lobbed in the middle of the mob would have made a hole in the water into which the whole mess would have disappeared...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:42:49 PM »
yes!!!  winner!

what pirates? :angel:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »
I would think that one five inch shell lobbed in the middle of the mob would have made a hole in the water into which the whole mess would have disappeared...  =|

They restrained themselves to only using M60's, M2's and Mk-38 25mm's.  =D

Personally, if I could have gotten a good radar lock I would have lobbed a Harpoon ASM at the motorboat and then sent the video back to the pirate dens in Somalia, but I got a special place in the blackest recesses of my soul for pirates.

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:21:48 PM »
I am getting really tired of any nation, us included, from arresting the pirates instead of shooting them on site.  It's not like this whole piracy thing is new.  There are already protocols in place for this.  Shoot pirates on sight.  It worked before, it will work now.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »
still playing nice are we?  the problem will remain till we get chinese in our response.  and its a bonus for the sharks. next few times unleash all we have this side of a cruise missile and video it.  make video's public  rinse lather repeat till the lesson is learned.mother ships too.

Negative. 
Pick off all but one of the crew.  Rescue him.  Sink all associated pirate vessels while he watches.  Repatriate him.  Word of mouth will be the best weapon available.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
good points?  do we have to repatriate him whole? at least give him a scar to remember us by. just don't punch him or you'll be up on charges

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:55:20 PM »
good points?  do we have to repatriate him whole? at least give him a scar to remember us by. just don't punch him or you'll be up on charges

A good scar, like a blown off leg.

:cool:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »

Needs to lose an eye, too.

And maybe replace one arm with a hook.

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »

Needs to lose an eye, too.

And maybe replace one arm with a hook.

;)

And replace the missing leg with a peg.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 11:53:28 PM »
And give him Monkeyleg's parrot.  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »
And give him Monkeyleg's parrot.

Hey, that parrot is American! ;)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 02:47:53 AM »
at least give him a scar to remember us by

"Well, I reckon we drop you back off in your country, you're gonna take off that pirate uniform, aintche?"

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 06:11:06 AM »
It's good to hear a positive Somalian Pirate story, not just them getting away with it.  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
And replace the missing leg with a peg.

If he doesn't talk like a pirate, how about pirate speaking lessons.  Arrrrg.    =)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.