Author Topic: More stupid pirate tricks  (Read 1772 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
More stupid pirate tricks
« on: April 10, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
Somali pirates attacked another US warship Saturday.  Once again, they got themselves sunk for their efforts.  Six pirates captured.  The USS Ashland, an amphibious dock landing ship, suffered no damage in the attack.
That makes three stupid Somali pirate tricks in three weeks.

The story is here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: More stupid pirate tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Why do we capture them?  :facepalm:  Why not just sink their boats -- and its mothership -- and let them swim back to shore?  Hopefully a few make it back (to spread the word), but most drown or get eaten by sharks.
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
As a former Marine it pains me to say it, but "Way to go, swabbies!"

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
Is there a Stupid Olympics we didn't know about?  'Cause they're breakin' some world records for Stupid.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:28:57 PM »
You'd think they'd have learned to avoid the gray ships with guns on them by now
Look, tiny text!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26:53 AM »
Even if it's a case of attacking targets at night, you'd think they would figure out that is a bad idea.  It makes target acquisition and identification a bit of a challenge...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:40:04 AM »
You'd think they'd have learned to avoid the gray ships with guns on them by now

Well nobody ever accused the pirates of being smart. In this case, the ship they attacked can, kinda, sorta, be confused with other ships (if you're blind in one eye with cataracts in the other and have the IQ of a bar of soap), like ocean going tugs, salvage ships, or certain kinds of large comercial fishing vessels.

ETA: THIS IMAGE will show you the similiar superstructure form between an LSD and a Fleet Tug  (tug  is top most vessel shown), of course there's still the issue of the LSD being about 5 times larger than the tug.  ;/  Of course it would have been kinda amusing if they had made it on board. "Congratulations, Sparky. You and your twelve friends have successfully boarded a ship with 300 sailors and 500 marines on board. What are you going to do next?"  :lol:

This is the ship they attacked....

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:55:06 AM by kgbsquirrel »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:55:19 AM »
my guess is this that this is what they were planing. [tinfoil] only thing that makes any sense at all. =|

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 03:54:52 AM »
my guess is this that this is what they were planing. [tinfoil] only thing that makes any sense at all. =|

Uhm.  They're Somali pirates.  Not suicide bombers?

Never ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained as stupidity.  I've heard of dozens of boats being attacked for ransom.  I've yet to hear of a single "suicide bomber dhow".  Well, attacking a Navy boat from a dhow is indeed suicidal, but you know what I mean.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:02:02 AM »
Even if it's a case of attacking targets at night, you'd think they would figure out that is a bad idea.  It makes target acquisition and identification a bit of a challenge...
I'm thinking that all of them where probably high on khat, and probably other things as well. Judgement is probably not at a high level then...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 04:40:23 AM »
they can see the US's ships are going to stop there activates. you only need one or too people that know there on a suicide mission to have one. do you really think there smart enough not to try attacking America? :angel:

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 05:49:11 AM »
Uhm.  They're Somali pirates.  Not suicide bombers?

Never ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained as stupidity.  I've heard of dozens of boats being attacked for ransom.  I've yet to hear of a single "suicide bomber dhow".  Well, attacking a Navy boat from a dhow is indeed suicidal, but you know what I mean.

Yup, it's kinda hard to collect a ransom when you've blown a hole in the item of value that you were trying to ransom in the first place. :)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 09:02:59 AM »
As a former Marine it pains me to say it, but "Way to go, swabbies!"

stay safe.
As a former swabbie let me be the first to say "THANKS Jarine!!"  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
I'm thinking that all of them where probably high on khat, and probably other things as well. Judgement is probably not at a high level then...

That would probably explain it all.  Do drugs, attack a US Navy ship and your day is screwed.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.