Author Topic: Are Cocker Spaniels Good Dogs?  (Read 5693 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Are Cocker Spaniels Good Dogs?
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »
Here is Rocket playing with fistful.

Yes, "Rocket" is his name. ..........

Awwwww.  Too cute.  I almost wish I was a dig  guy not a cat guy.   Almost.    ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
Rocketman, I sent you a pm before I finished reading the thread, so disregard!

This little guy is ADORABLE!!! Be sure to keep us posted with pics as he grows!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
Echoing MrsSmith.  "Adorable"
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
very cute. Almost makes me want a puppy... until I think about training it. I'll stick with my dog, but pictures are great - cute puppy sans the mess!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »
Rocketman, I sent you a pm before I finished reading the thread, so disregard!

This little guy is ADORABLE!!! Be sure to keep us posted with pics as he grows!

Will do, MrsSmith.  The cell phone cameras have been getting a workout.  So have I...phew!  The little guy is wearing me out.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »
Good site, more than everything you could want to know about every dog breeds.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
Had one.  Let's put our relationship like this:  I was at college, Dad called and said the were going to put her down, I asked if he was calling so that I could come home and do it myself.

I LOATHED that dog.  Nippy, nasty, angry, bitter...
One day at a time.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
How about a golden retriever? Meet Sadie, loves snow as much as water.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
Update:

We lost our little cocker spaniel puppy.  He was a cute little four pound bundle of energy while he lasted.   :'(

The replacement is this fourteen pound bundle of 'teenage' cocker spaniel.  What a transformation over the last few weeks.  Active, happy dog. Full of energy and wicked smart.  My wife and I have been completely amazed at how fast he picks things up.  Sit, stay, lay down, come, all that was mastered within the first couple of training sessions for each of those behaviors.
We're still working on the whole "mouthing" thing where they tend to intersperse gentle bites with licking when showing affection, but that is coming along well.
He is almost potty trained, already coming to us to get our attention when he has to go.  He even sometimes goes to the door to get our attention.
My wife found some puppy games on the web to play with him, many involving nose work.  He picks those up almost instantly.
She trained him just this morning to walk with her on the treadmill for extended periods with a nicely relaxed leash.
We have been socializing him by attending puppy classes at the local shelter, plus lots of walks and trips to public venues.  We'll be making our third trip to Home Depot with him later this morning.  Hard to shop there with that puppy, what with everyone wanting to pet and coo and otherwise delay us.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:27:53 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »
Sounds good!

:)

Any intrest in more formal obidance training or stuff like Agility trials?

Might be fun for all three of you guys.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
We have a Golden and he is the sweetest dog you could ever hope to meet, but his IQ is barely in the positive numbers.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
We have a Golden and he is the sweetest dog you could ever hope to meet, but his IQ is barely in the positive numbers.  ;/

That's our lab/chow mix. But his sweetness makes up for his dumbness.
;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
We have a 3/4 German Sheperd 1/4 Chow.  She is about the best dog ever, especially with the kids. 

RM, sorry to hear the first puppy didn't make it.  What happened?

SWMBO says she wants to go dogless for a while after Sarah dies.  Not sure I agree.
Formerly sumpnz

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
We have a 3/4 German Sheperd 1/4 Chow.  She is about the best dog ever, especially with the kids. 

RM, sorry to hear the first puppy didn't make it.  What happened?

SWMBO says she wants to go dogless for a while after Sarah dies.  Not sure I agree.

I think he is lamenting the puppy being less of a puppy now  ;)

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
I think he is lamenting the puppy being less of a puppy now  ;)

I took it the same way at first - "The puppy died???  :'(" Then I finished reading the next line and realized, "Oh, the puppy just grew up some." Whew.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
Yep, he's fine, aside from some hay fever and a minor ear infection common to cockers.  We're just lamenting the fact that Rocket is growing up fast.  And we think he's going to tend to larger side of the curve for cockers.

Sounds good!

:)

Any intrest in more formal obidance training or stuff like Agility trials?

Might be fun for all three of you guys.

All of that stuff will definitely happen, BSL, especially the agility training.  Funny thing, at the puppy socialization Rocket happily climbed all over the various obstacles including this big five foot ramp thing that scared all the other dogs.  He did this by himself when we looked away for a moment.  We had to actively work to keep him off that stuff as the trainers said they don't like puppies on it until they are a year old and all their bones have had a chance to fully develop.

Oh, and the kid just absolutely loves carrots.  Found that out when SWMBO accidentally dropped one on the kitchen floor.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:52:35 PM by RocketMan »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
Mix 2 parts apple cider vineger and one part green alcohol. Use it to really flush those ears (really pour it in) drop the ear back down, massaging around the base of the ear and then let him shake it out before wiping any gunk out with cottenballs and qtips.
You cannot reach his eardrums, so don't worry about how far down in the ear you stick the qtips.
Keeping them cleaned out really helps keep down the ear infections. Hell, ask the vet for a big bottle of autobotic and just clean and put a few drops in once a week.
And you can soak a cottenball and just wipe the inside of the ear flap anytime it's looking gunky.

As for the hayfeaver, if it affects his skin, really double down on the grooming. Keep the coat dematted (comb, comb, comb) and trimmed will help keep him comfortable and let you help if he has itches.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »
Mix 2 parts apple cider vineger and one part green alcohol. Use it to really flush those ears (really pour it in) drop the ear back down, massaging around the base of the ear and then let him shake it out before wiping any gunk out with cottenballs and qtips.
You cannot reach his eardrums, so don't worry about how far down in the ear you stick the qtips.
Keeping them cleaned out really helps keep down the ear infections. Hell, ask the vet for a big bottle of autobotic and just clean and put a few drops in once a week.
And you can soak a cottenball and just wipe the inside of the ear flap anytime it's looking gunky.

As for the hayfeaver, if it affects his skin, really double down on the grooming. Keep the coat dematted (comb, comb, comb) and trimmed will help keep him comfortable and let you help if he has itches.

Dozers vet suggested using Listerine mouthwash for the ears. I keep some in a small pump sprayer and it's worked great. Couple times a week right after we get back from the lake in the summer and he's had no problems since.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »

This. My dog loves to swim in the ponds and has floppy ears.  And it's humid here.  Breeding ground for all sorts of nasty. I'm cleaning them out several times a year in the summer.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
Dozers vet suggested using Listerine mouthwash for the ears. I keep some in a small pump sprayer and it's worked great. Couple times a week right after we get back from the lake in the summer and he's had no problems since.

We have those refillable cheap plastic condiment bottles. I wouldn't want to spray stuff in the ear. The noise and pressure could be an issue. We just pour it in. It works best when you can really fill the ear with solution and, after getting it to slosh around in the ear for a moment, let the dog shake it out and do most the work. It's really good when the earwax is that thick black gunk.

We use a lot of vinager. Cheap, nontoxic, no chemicals and it works. The Louise likes the green alcohol for the aloe in it.

Personally, I hate the earwash the vets sell. It doesn't work half as good and I hate the way it smells. Freeking sickly sweet rank smell.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2013, 08:53:28 AM »
We have those refillable cheap plastic condiment bottles. I wouldn't want to spray stuff in the ear. The noise and pressure could be an issue. We just pour it in. It works best when you can really fill the ear with solution and, after getting it to slosh around in the ear for a moment, let the dog shake it out and do most the work. It's really good when the earwax is that thick black gunk.

We use a lot of vinager. Cheap, nontoxic, no chemicals and it works. The Louise likes the green alcohol for the aloe in it.

Personally, I hate the earwash the vets sell. It doesn't work half as good and I hate the way it smells. Freeking sickly sweet rank smell.

Expensive to boot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, BSL.  That's some good information.  We've got a couple of big bottles of ear cleaner and some antibiotics that we are working our way through right now.  I think when the ear cleaner is gone we may give your alcohol and vinegar treatment a try.
Green alcohol I have never heard of.  Mixed with aloe, is it?  I'll google it, see where we can find some.

eta: Near as I can tell from googling it, green alcohol is wintergreen mixed with isopropyl alcohol.  That makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:57:46 AM by RocketMan »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
Not only does he like carrots, he likes dill pickle slices.  Go figure.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
Not only does he like carrots, he likes dill pickle slices.  Go figure.

A lot of dogs like carrots. My mom's old hound Sadie used to love baby carrots. She and my stepdad could go through a big bag rather quickly.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
SWMBO was just now making nachos. She accidentally dropped a sliced pickled jalapeno pepper.  Rocket sucked that thing down before she could retrieve it.  He absolutely refused to let go of it.  Now he's waiting in the kitchen for her to drop another slice.