Author Topic: BALLS! Over 118,000 feet  (Read 1763 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
BALLS! Over 118,000 feet
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
At the BALLS launch that was held earlier this month, an amateur two-stage rocket flies to over 118,000 feet.  Launch site was the Black Rock Desert dry lake bed in northern Nevada.
"Kate" narrates the flight.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: BALLS! Over 118,000 feet
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
Holy smoke I am in awe and amazement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
That was totally awesome! Thanks for posting Rocketman!

Any info on size of the rocket? I couldn't tell scale at all from the video.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »
That's 22 miles -- I guess not quite enough to achieve low earth orbit, but impressive nonetheless.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »
Sorry, no design info as yet.  The builders are supposed to report on that at the next OROC meeting in Beaverton, OR this weekend.  Too bad I now live 2800 miles away on the other side of the country, otherwise I would attend and report back on the rocket specs.
If I come across anything on another venue, I will update the post.

eta:  Link to info on the electronics packages used on the flight.  Scroll down the page a bit.  Images don't load, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:04:43 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »
Amazing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:48:53 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
Rocket surgery! Cool!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
Before my FlisKits Corona 2 was damaged in the post-divorce moving, I had thought about scrollsawing progressively larger fin kits to see how many stages it could handle without getting hopelessly unstable.  Unfortunately, even a simple 2-stage requires pretty careful wind watching and a fast parachute for a good recovery where I usually launch.  (~1000ft N-S dimension, right at a mile E-W, but I usually launch from the west end of it.  Not that hard to recover from neighboring properties, but the intermittent tree cover can make it hard to figure out where one actually landed.  Found a single stage over 200 yards form where I was sure it should have been.)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »
Holy Cow....   Researching the booster (N5800) rocket they used for the first stage.....    Now I know why that thing was able to climb so friggin' fast....    And why it topped out at Mach 2.88....    Depending on the propellant, that thing generates over 1000 lbs peak thrust....

And I also rediscovered why I never got into high power rocketry...   DAMN but those things get spendy.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
Daaaaaaaamn.  That's some piss-poor real estate, right there.

Can one of our whiz-kids tell me how far the horizon is at 118k feet altitude?  My math skillz have left the building with Elvis.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:39:30 PM »
Can one of our whiz-kids tell me how far the horizon is at 118k feet altitude?  My math skillz have left the building with Elvis.

WolframAlpha puts it at 421.5 miles.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 03:00:10 AM »
WolframAlpha puts it at 421.5 miles.

"Look ma! I can see every single house I've ever lived in from here!"
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
And they're worried about us shooting down airliners with our 50 Cals! [ar15]

Cool video!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
Hmmm . . . I wonder if they've been contacted by purchasing agents from North Korea or Iran yet . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
That's 22 miles -- I guess not quite enough to achieve low earth orbit, but impressive nonetheless.
My understanding is that the difficult part is achieving speed for orbit, not height.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »
They hit 2/3 of escape velocity roughly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »
My understanding is that the difficult part is achieving speed for orbit, not height.

The other issue as I see it is guidance. The rocket needs the proper angle or flight path to start transitioning it's vertical climb to horizontal movement towards a circular orbit.

However, when you add guidance to high-powered rocketry, that's when the .gov gets really froggy.  Maybe it's different in the upper reaches of the high powered community, but IIRC, there was a part about NO GUIDANCE being really important in all the rules you got in the model kits.
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:02 PM »
AJ is correct, no guidance allowed, even among the Level III and the experimental folks.  There has been some experimentation with simple sun-seeking and gyroscopic flight correction, the idea being to keep the rocket on an upward trajectory.  But that is pushing the limits of what is allowed.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »
AJ is correct, no guidance allowed, even among the Level III and the experimental folks.  There has been some experimentation with simple sun-seeking and gyroscopic flight correction, the idea being to keep the rocket on an upward trajectory.  But that is pushing the limits of what is allowed.

Allowed by who? On what authority? BATFEIEIO?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »

My understanding, after being lucky enough to be bumped to first class on an overbooked flight, and sharing a seat with Elon Musk is that the paperwork is a real bitch...
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 06:24:55 AM »

FAA.  It used to be somewhere in FAR 101, but things were updated a few years back.  I should look it up.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
I hope some day I get to experience the transition from blue to black.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 09:08:13 AM »
My understanding, after being lucky enough to be bumped to first class on an overbooked flight, and sharing a seat with Elon Musk is that the paperwork is a real bitch...
Like a time share or were laps involved?