Author Topic: Young boy asks wrong sheriff to take him hunting.  (Read 2292 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Young boy asks wrong sheriff to take him hunting.
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »
I am not a hunter myself, just doesn't float my boat.  But this story is really very special.  A young boy wrote to a sheriff to take him hunting.  The problem was, he accidentally wrote to the wrong sheriff.  What resulted was pretty neat.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Young boy asks wrong sheriff to take him hunting.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »
I am not a hunter myself, just doesn't float my boat.  But this story is really very special.  A young boy wrote to a sheriff to take him hunting.  The problem was, he accidentally wrote to the wrong sheriff.  What resulted was pretty neat.

Best reelection campaign ever. ;)
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
Yea he could get elected in 2 states. That's different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
I am not a hunter myself, just doesn't float my boat.

You need to develop some means of bird hunting with rockets.  Maybe use the ejection charge to sling out some sort of "birdshot frag grenade" with a short delay to let the rest of the rocket get clear.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
Stick a radar fuse on a frag warhead and pass shoot geese with it!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »
You need to develop some means of bird hunting with rockets.  Maybe use the ejection charge to sling out some sort of "birdshot frag grenade" with a short delay to let the rest of the rocket get clear.

Stick a radar fuse on a frag warhead and pass shoot geese with it!

Don't you two go giving me any ideas.   ;)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Waitone

• friend
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »
You could warm up on drones.

No cleaning, no plucking around.

<Not serious.  Don't know what kind of trouble into which you could get.>
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
You could warm up on drones.

No cleaning, no plucking around.

<Not serious.  Don't know what kind of trouble into which you could get.>

Lots, actually.  But it makes for a fun mental exercise.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:29:35 PM »
Great story.

But they didn't tell us if Little A got a deer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »
That was some good stuff.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 11:14:47 PM »
there are still good people in this world.

it gives me hope. :)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »
That was some good stuff.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »
Great story.

Doesn't matter.  He had a fun, safe time. 
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 11:37:19 PM »
Great story.

Hunting is always good, and sometimes you actually get to shoot something.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 02:36:08 AM »
Great story, but I'm wondering about the legalities in that State ---age, parental supervision, whatnot.

I also wonder if a sporter in .308 was the best choice.

I 'spect the idea of "taking him on a hunting trip," rather than actually "hunting" was the real idea.

Terry, "Pooper-on-of-parties," 230RN

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 05:43:37 AM »
Great story, but I'm wondering about the legalities in that State ---age, parental supervision, whatnot.

Depends.  Generally he'd have to complete a Hunter Safety Education course, but some states (like Illinois) offer a one-time "Apprentice" Hunting License, which allows the youth (under 18) to hunt with fully licensed adult hunter. 

And generally the laws require non-hunting Adult supervision.  In recognition that it may be an uncle, grandfather or cousin (or an aunt, grandmother) or other family friend that is taking the child out hunting.

Plus, I doubt he's racked up any felonies and probably doesn't owe any back child support, so it would be child's play for him to get a non-resident hunting license.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 06:46:20 AM »

Our Sheriffs generally are pretty decent people. Good to hear SC sheriffs are too.

Mighty nice of both of them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 05:30:51 PM »
Depends.  Generally he'd have to complete a Hunter Safety Education course, but some states (like Illinois) offer a one-time "Apprentice" Hunting License, which allows the youth (under 18) to hunt with fully licensed adult hunter.  

And generally the laws require non-hunting Adult supervision.  In recognition that it may be an uncle, grandfather or cousin (or an aunt, grandmother) or other family friend that is taking the child out hunting.

Plus, I doubt he's racked up any felonies and probably doesn't owe any back child support, so it would be child's play for him to get a non-resident hunting license.

He's hunting with the sheriff. Who's going to arrest him? Especially when all the deputies chipped in -- making them all accomplices. (Or maybe that should be "unindicted co-conspirators.")
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:48:24 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »

I also wonder if a sporter in .308 was the best choice.

I 'spect the idea of "taking him on a hunting trip," rather than actually "hunting" was the real idea.

Age - Most states merely require adult supervision(not specifically parental) along with the kid.  Rules vary somewhat, but generally require that said adult actually be with the kid and able to practice some control over him or her.  Line of sight/earshot type stuff.  Most allow or even require the adult be hunting as well(IE have his own license/hunting permit/tag), along with a weapon.

For that matter, a 'youth permit' attached to the sheriff's might not take into account that the kid isn't a resident of the state.

Beyond that it can get funky - some states would require that the kid take at least the first shot for it to go onto his tag (after that the animal is assumed to be wounded and anybody can finish it off), some allow any tag in the 'party' to be used on any animal.  IE Pops can take his wife, gramps and grandma out 'hunting', and get 4 deer without the other three ever so much as firing a shot. 

A sporter in .308 might be a touch heavy for the kid, but he would, even theoretically, only need to make ONE shot with it, after that the sheriff could administer the coup-d-grace.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
In SC, if you are under 16 no hunting or fishing license needed by the kid, just by the responsible adult.

Generally he'd have to complete a Hunter Safety Education course

Nope, not until he was to get a hunting license of his own at 16 or older, then the hunter education course is required.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
Awesome story!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »
Didn't bag a deer.

The fact that he was outfitted with a rod, reel and tackle box might have been a clue.  He did catch a bass.

I suspect the whole reason for this is a kid with no serious man in his life saw a chance to spend one short trip living in the world of a man.  I see this every day . . . and it breaks my heart.

Good on the sheriff.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »
I suspect the whole reason for this is a kid with no serious man in his life saw a chance to spend one short trip living in the world of a man.  I see this every day . . . and it breaks my heart.

I have a friend who got the wording on his ~1500 lease changed to allow him to switch guests during the season so he could take different local kids hunting.  Originally he had to declare two others for each season, so either his wife or dad had to give up their spot for the whole season to let him take one kid.  He got it changed to where anyone under 18 could substitute for either of them at any time and would take a different kid each weekend.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »

Good on the sheriff.

Yeah, a gateway outing.  I sure wouldn't mind seeing this more often with some urban or suburban kids where Father (if any) is too involved with business to show the kid the great outdoors.

Terry