Author Topic: Sears Model-94 .30-30  (Read 11406 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Sears Model-94 .30-30
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:58:14 AM »
Any one know anything about Winchester Model-94 sold under the Sears label  ???

Found one online that is local (about 50 miles away).

He is asking $300
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Sears Model-94 .30-30
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
If its anything like its namesake, then its a solid gun.  My win '94 is a beefcake of a carbine.  $300 seems a little steep for the sears one, though. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
If its anything like its namesake, then its a solid gun.  My win '94 is a beefcake of a carbine.  $300 seems a little steep for the sears one, though. 

My thoughts exactly. (Except for the "My win '94" part as I don't have one.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:22:31 AM »

What would you offer?  $250?  $200?

As far as I know, they don't make Model 94s anymore, and I hear that the new "Marlingtons" are crap. :(   

I really sorta wanted a 336 instead.  A new one is $450  :O

In 1972 I could have bought a brand new Winchester .30-30 for $69.95  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »
My BlueBook store brand crossover list shows the Sears 94 as a Stevens 237.
No further info on the Stevens 237 at my fingertips.

The Sears 100 - (273.532141)  and Sears 54 - (273.####) series  are listed as Winchester 94NM (new model  ??? ).
"The values for the firearms listed on these pages are approx 15-40% less than the original manufacturer models"
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
Less than what would be the question?

At the gunstore they had an "early 1900s" Model 94 that they wanted $800 for  :O

No blue left at all, and no finish on the stock.  Would have been just fine except for the price  ;/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »

At the gunstore they had an "early 1900s" Model 94 that they wanted $800 for  :O

No blue left at all, and no finish on the stock.  Would have been just fine except for the price  ;/

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=232100141

Winchester 94. In decent-good condition.

Priced at $329 on gunbroker. Given that there are two hours left and no one has bid on it at that price, I'd say it's still overpriced.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=231187915

Another one in what appears to be perfect condition. Priced at $350. Again, less than a day left and no bids. Probably overpriced.

$250 would be my estimate for the highest value of the sears model.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
$250 would be my estimate for the highest value of the sears model

Thanks!  =)

From the pictures, it's not in the best of condition (finish is faded on the stocks - it might have been kept in a pickup window rack).  But that doesn't matter to me as long as the action is good and the bore is not rusted, since I'm looking for a knock-around gun anyway.

If the flood ever subsides, I think I will offer $200 after I look at it.  Right now the county is a disaster area and we can't get to town.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »

Yikes!  I can remember a barrel full of such rifles in the gun store in Annandale VA when I was a kid.  They were $15 each.  I would have had to mow three lawns to buy one.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
Let us not speak of Long Long Ago in The Before Times, when we could have bought trade-in Mdl 13's with only light holster wear for $150 a piece or $100 each if you bought 3 or more.

That way lies madness...

:facepalm:  :'(
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 01:46:22 PM »
If it is in fact a Winchester Model 94 relabel, look for a machined receiver.

There was a change, post 1964, that went from machined steel receivers to stamped steel.
That's all the details I know.  DYODD.
(See my next post, below for a retraction...)

Machined steel is more desirable, has a reputation of wearing in rather than wearing out, and smoother, in my limited experience of owning and trading off a stamped model 94 and handling and shooting a few machined ones.
(ETA - Those smoothies must've been pre-64s?)

200 is a good fair price.  
If it's machined with a solid bore and honest cosmetic wear, 200 is a really really really good buy, even 250.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:15:04 PM by Tuco »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »
So how do you obviously tell if it is machined or stamped  ???

I'm thinking if it is machined I might give him the $300 without blinking  ;)

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 03:13:07 PM »
Well,, it appears I've spoken out of ignorance.   :O

A bit of google-fu has revealed my long-term baseless dogma.

The machined receivers went to FORGED and PLATED in 1964, and many previously machined PARTS became stamped.

It's back to the same old Pre-Post '64 Winchester crap. 
Sorry.

How to cross-ref a pre-64 WW serialization with Sears searialization?
I don't know.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »
I found a Marlin 336 in a local pawnshop for $225, it's in "fair+" condition - wood's dinged, slightly missing finish on the stock in places, dulled bluing. I can get you in touch, if you'd like? :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
I found a Marlin 336 in a local pawnshop for $225, it's in "fair+" condition - wood's dinged, slightly missing finish on the stock in places, dulled bluing. I can get you in touch, if you'd like? :)

Hmmm... let me think about that  =|    It's a 30-30  ???

Looks don't matter as long as it's serviceable.  Whatever I get will get stuck in a saddle scabbard and most of the blue/finish worn off anyway.

This Sears 30-30 is just down the road - literally almost next door in Montana terms.  He corrected himself: he said east of town when he meant west of town.  :facepalm:

But with the ongoing flood, 10 miles might as well be across the ocean because we can't even get to the highway right now.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »
Not even on your trusty gelding?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »
Not even on your trusty gelding?

No - we drove down to look last evening.  It looks like Niagara falls going over what is left of the county road.  =(

But it hasn't rained for a day now, so we can get out the back way if we have to but it is very rough.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
Let us not speak of Long Long Ago in The Before Times, when we could have bought trade-in Mdl 13's with only light holster wear for $150 a piece or $100 each if you bought 3 or more.

That way lies madness...

:facepalm:  :'(

So I should erase all thoughts of the Ye Olde Hunter ads in the magazines of the day?  And of their warehouse full of guns in the "just a few lawns to mow" price range?  (A kind employee gave a couple of thirteen year old kids a tour-more fun than the Smithsonian!)
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
So I should erase all thoughts of the Ye Olde Hunter ads in the magazines of the day?  And of their warehouse full of guns in the "just a few lawns to mow" price range?  (A kind employee gave a couple of thirteen year old kids a tour-more fun than the Smithsonian!)

Madness I said!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »
I have one gun shop that is about an hour and a half round trip. Any of the others I need to make a day trip of it. So an extra charge over the internet average price doesn't worry me much.

You might look for a Winchester serial number chart you can print out. That would tell you what year it was made and then you could go by look and function.

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
I have one gun shop that is about an hour and a half round trip. Any of the others I need to make a day trip of it. So an extra charge over the internet average price doesn't worry me much.

You might look for a Winchester serial number chart you can print out. That would tell you what year it was made and then you could go by look and function.

jim

Yeah, same way here: it is an hour and a half one way to Bilings.

I went back and looked at the picture and it is actually pretty nice.  Good blue that I can see, and the stock is really only faded near the trigger and on the forearm where one would put their hands to shoot.

I think I might offer $250 after I handle it...  =|

Trouble is that it's about an hours drive over a rough road to get there because the bridge is out, even though it's only about ten miles straight through the hills.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »
Still haven't gotten a chance to meet the guy and look at the rifle.

The weather cleared off for a day or so but I had to catch up on some stuff around here.  Now it is raining again and it's a tough trip with a 4wd to go anywhere.  The main road in/out of our neighborhood may not be fixed for weeks as it is totally washed out and still under water for most of a quarter mile.  =(

I'm still wondering about the price, considering Winchester doesn't make Model 94s anymore and the new Marlington stuff is crap.   =|

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
While out for a bike ride after work, I stopped by a gun shop in Northern VA (fully decked out and with bike by my side no less).  I found an older Winchester 94 in 30-30 (no safeties, bluing mostly intact) for $400 and a slightly newer Marlin 336 (again no safeties, better bluing) in 35Rem for $300.

If you're interested in trying to get one of them transferred to your neck of the woods, I can get you the shop's contact info.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
While out for a bike ride after work, I stopped by a gun shop in Northern VA (fully decked out and with bike by my side no less).  I found an older Winchester 94 in 30-30 (no safeties, bluing mostly intact) for $400 and a slightly newer Marlin 336 (again no safeties, better bluing) in 35Rem for $300.

If you're interested in trying to get one of them transferred to your neck of the woods, I can get you the shop's contact info.

Chris

I would have been interested in the Marlin if it were a 30-30.

Nothing wrong with the .35 but I just don't want to stock another caliber.

With the floods and bad roads I haven't been to see the Sears .30-30.  I really wanted a Marlin 336* instead, so I might try to get to town to look at some gun shops. 

* well, actually I wanted a Marlin 1894 in .357 but they are rare and expensive.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
I haven't seen a 35 Rem under $500 around here.

And of course you post this when I'm broke.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG