Author Topic: Another cold fusion claim  (Read 6359 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Another cold fusion claim
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
Well, not really cold fusion but close enough.

http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2012-04-29/peak-oil-crisis-quantum-fusion-hypothesis

This new hypothesis, it is not yet a theory, says that It would be possible to use water as the source of all energy that mankind could ever want with no bad or radioactive leftovers -- only helium and heat. Note that Godes says that if the reaction is done properly, the nickel or palladium which are only used as a matrix to hold the hydrogen in one place, are not consumed in the reaction. For those who are skeptical, and I don't blame you for this a lot to comprehend, I recommend Brillouin's web site (www.brillouinenergy.com) where you will find some reasonably comprehensible explanations and videos as to just how all this supposedly works. For those conversant with Bose-Einstein condensates, the Molecular Hamiltonian, Heisenberg confinement energy, and the dense mathematics of nuclear physics there are papers there for you too.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Another cold fusion claim
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »
In recent months numerous respected scientists have been reporting at scientific gatherings that they are seeing increasing amounts of heat, which can only be coming from nuclear reactions, during experiments with hydrogen loaded into nickel and palladium under the proper conditions.

Isn't that always the case?  I've just never been able to get my ears to stick out at that angle, which is why I remain a slave to hydrocarbon petrochemicals.  If I were to put the time and effort into being able to assume the correct position I could quite literally live off the sweat of my brow (as well as sell the excess for a tidy profit).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
Where are the papers?  Until I see a respected journal publishing something like this, I'm skeptical at best.  I do have some faith in this field, and know some people who do work in it, but since Pons and Fleischmann, the cold fusion community is looked at as a joke in physics.  However, with definitive proof, I expect that top tier journals would be jumping all over this.  There are only 2 reasons I can think of off the top of my head for which this is not being published: 1)It's classified (obviously not the case, the guy has a website about it), or 2)There is not enough proof. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:19:31 PM »
What the heck do they think we will do once they use up all the water making energy?
Nobody ever thinks ahead.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
What the heck do they think we will do once they use up all the water making energy?

Bear Grylls, paging Bear Grylls.  Please go to the white courtesy telephone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
That's a yellow courtesy phone.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »
That's a yellow courtesy phone.

He shoots... he SCORES!!!!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »

Use the energy to melt ice.

Short sighted greenie Luddite.  ;/
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 06:09:35 AM »
Oddly enough, I was just watching the 1990's movie THE SAINT (rather underappreciated film crying for a modern remake) and wondering whatever happened to all the cold fusion hype....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:45:29 AM »
He shoots... he SCORES!!!!

DD
Second!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:52:08 AM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
The peak oil crisis....

I stopped right there.
I have zero time for any sort of malthusian nonsense.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »

Peak Water.  You heard it here first, folks!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:02 AM »
Use the energy to melt ice.

Short sighted greenie Luddite.  ;/

Is that anything like a nearsighted gynocologist?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »
It's BS...still has the dead graduate student problem.

Even IF it's based on electron cloud degeneracy, and even IF a B-E like codensate could be achieved at higher temperstures, and even IF the B-E resulted in cloud collapse and fusion, there is still a higher probably of 2 or 3 protons fusing than 4, meaning you would get more deuterium, tritium and helium-3 than helium-4, and since both the deuterium and tritium generate neutrons when they fuse, you still kill all the graduate students.

Lots of IF's, meaning BS, and the same "no radioactivity...that's weird" result that P and F got.

I don't see why these guys always claim p-p fusion (which isn't direct, EVEN IN THE SUN), or claim d-d without neutrons (which isn't possible quantum mechanically).  If you are trying to claim something crazy, at least make it hard to disprove...like p-B11 fusion (no neutrons, just soapy water in, helium out)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »

Even IF it's based on electron cloud degeneracy, and even IF a B-E like codensate could be achieved at higher temperstures, and even IF the B-E resulted in cloud collapse and fusion, there is still a higher probably of 2 or 3 protons fusing than 4, meaning you would get more deuterium, tritium and helium-3 than helium-4, and since both the deuterium and tritium generate neutrons when they fuse, you still kill all the graduate students.

Lots of IF's, meaning BS, and the same "no radioactivity...that's weird" result that P and F got.

I don't see why these guys always claim p-p fusion (which isn't direct, EVEN IN THE SUN), or claim d-d without neutrons (which isn't possible quantum mechanically).  If you are trying to claim something crazy, at least make it hard to disprove...like p-B11 fusion (no neutrons, just soapy water in, helium out)

I think the neutrons are falling into alternate dimensions.

Somewhere on the flipside, there's a purple planet with a sentient species of furry green cones with five arms, that randomly die of radiation sickness every time someone fires up a cold fusion experiment.
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I found a picture of a cold fusion researcher...

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »
Oddly enough, I was just watching the 1990's movie THE SAINT (rather underappreciated film crying for a modern remake) and wondering whatever happened to all the cold fusion hype....

Why is it crying for a remake? Val Kilmer was wonderful as Simon Templar, and the female (whose name I don't recall) was spectacularly gorgeous. If they remake it, they'll just ruin it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »
Why is it crying for a remake? Val Kilmer was wonderful as Simon Templar, and the female (whose name I don't recall) was spectacularly gorgeous. If they remake it, they'll just ruin it.

It was a great movie....but Kilmer's character wasn't the real Saint. If you watch the original Saint TV series (the ONLY thing Roger Moore ever did well), Templar is more of a mystery-solving gentleman con artist....not a high-tech, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE-style thief. And Templar isn't the love-sick puppy type, either. Think of a cross b/t REMINGTON STEELE & THE MENTALIST......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
Peak Water.  You heard it here first, folks!

I used to enjoy a bottled ice tea called "Gold Peak".  Now I worry about the contents.   :facepalm:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »

That's the problem with most remakes.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »

"But there are no dead graduate students." --Watson

"Exactly."  --Holmes
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »
"But there are no dead graduate students." --Watson

"Exactly."  --Holmes

It's elementary (particle physics) my dear lee.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 02:22:16 AM »
Is that anything like a nearsighted gynocologist?

Does it have a wet nose?

"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:26 AM »

Elisabeth Shue

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:03 AM »
Elisabeth Shue

....and that's why I'm watching CSI again.... =D