Author Topic: new to me 10/22, need advice  (Read 7455 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: new to me 10/22, need advice
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »
Thd Hornet drop in trigger assembly replacement was recommended to me a few months back.  It is about $100.  It improved the trigger greatly and the bolt hold button operation works much better.  I'd recommend it over more expensive options. 

That's what I did with mine back in 2007.  I put in the Hornet trigger assembly, a new stock and a nice fluted Green Mountain barrel with fire sights. 

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
That is a beautiful rifle, I didn't think 10/22s could look or shoot that good.

I haven't seen too many 10/22s at silhouette matches, almost exclusively bolt guns.

I don't have any pictures but mine is a pretty gun too.  I bead blasted the receiver, added a stainless fluted bull barrel, silver scope and refinished the original stock.  When I bought the gun it was beat up and literally covered with old motor oil and gunk.  After cleaning up the stock you could see that is was some really nice walnut so I stripped it down and finished it with a bunch of coats of oil.

DM, try the Volquartsen extractor.  It isn't expensive and should fix that problem.  I never had extraction problems with mine.

Chris

I'll give that a try.  I don't shoot the gun a whole lot here but I'm hoping when I get back to Michigan there will be a range with some type of .22 LR competitions going on.  Now I need to go see what ranges there are around Muskegon.!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
On Magazines:
For 10 rounders, I stick with the Ruger mags.  
For high capacity, the Ruger mags work fine also.  However, I have had good reliability with the Butler Creek Steel Lips magazines.  I can't speak for any others, but I have 3 or 4 of the steel lips mags and they work well for me.  I don't know what the price difference is.  I doubt it is all that much.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:39:33 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
This was my 10/22 before I sold it a few years ago:

Great gun, just not useful except for benchrest shooting.  My next 22lr autoloader will be a Marlin 60 or something similar.  I just want a plinker.

This is the guy who does the bolt work I mentioned before: http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/index.html

Bolt is diassembled, cleaned and polished... Headspace is surface ground and squared to a .0425 rim depth, the same as a bolt action rifle too tweak in alittle accuracy... A hole is "E.D.M.'ed", a hardened ground solid dowel pin is pressed in over the top of the front of the firing pin... This new dowel pin keeps the front of firing pin from raising up and causing flyers and gives more consistent firing pin strikes... Firing pin is reworked and surface ground flat... Rear / bottom of bolt body is full radiused for smoother/better bolt function with standard and high velocity ammo's... The seen outside of bolt is beautifully prism jeweled as a finishing touch...
Send in complete bolt assembly with $44 plus $6 priority mail return... Check or M.O. ($50 cash is good so there is no wait for check to clear)... Send by U.S. Mail or UPS...
Turnaround... After it arrives - max it can be here is 2 weeks...
If there is 2 or more bolts in package, its $44 each, plus (1) one $6 s&h... Do not multiply s&h... ( if bolt is to be used with .17 Mach2 ammo or .22 Hyper-velocity ammo only order "small radius"...

Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:37:53 AM by mtnbkr »