Author Topic: Now Playing... Dire Straits Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversary Remaster  (Read 2263 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
And Knopfler did the 5.1 mix for the DVD-A side of the disk...

I think it's actually 21 years ago... I remember it came out in Springish of '85, and I was in basic... Had it on a boom box one Sunday in the barracks, and my DI called me a wussie, because it wasn't soem heavy metal hair band that was big then, but that nobody else has heard from since...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Now Playing... Dire Straits Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversary Remaster
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 11:52:34 AM »
my DI called me a wussie, because it wasn't soem heavy metal hair band
It ain't what he called rock and roll. 

Hope that's not too obscure. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:31:27 PM »
And Knopfler did the 5.1 mix for the DVD-A side of the disk...

I think it's actually 21 years ago... I remember it came out in Springish of '85, and I was in basic... Had it on a boom box one Sunday in the barracks, and my DI called me a wussie, because it wasn't soem heavy metal hair band that was big then, but that nobody else has heard from since...
I was in 7th or 8th grade. Smiley

Quote from: fistful of dollars
It ain't what he called rock and roll. 
Sultans of Swing.

Noooo, I haven't been listening to Dire Straits in the car lately...

Chris

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:14:44 PM »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

First CD (not album) I bought was G 'N R appetite for destruction in '88, the second one was Brothers in arms. Off to Amazon I go.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
They let you have a boom box in basic?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »
Great album.  I was in the 27th grade at the time.  laugh

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 05:52:36 PM »
Money For Nothing  is still one of my favorite songs, its even better as I get older. cheesy
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 08:01:44 PM »
Our platoon had all of those nice little ribbons that they gave out tied onto our flag. ALL of them. I don't know, but I think we broke the curve on someone at battalion's training chart. We got ourselves a 4 hour beer pass about 3/4 of the way through too... Which pretty much went horribly wrong, but hey... Our smart guys helped the not-so-smart, and the PT crazies dragged guys like me... Heckuva team there for a little while...

And it wasn't that big a boom box...

Blog under construction

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 06:17:24 AM »
I bought Brothers in Arms on vinyl at a thrift store for 3 dollars, apparently in new condition. What a great sounding album. It still distresses me that modern pop music tends to sound so horrible. It's no wonder people illegally download mp3s...I wouldn't buy the stuff either.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 09:49:24 AM »
god, I am so going to the music store this evening...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 11:15:59 AM »
god, I am so going to the music store this evening...
Hit the Tower Record in Tysons.  With their "Going out of business" sale going on, you'll save at least 30%, if not more.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 08:14:21 PM »
And I keep telling you that I'll gladly pay the 30% as the "staying the *expletive deleted*ck out of Tysons/Rt. 7 the closer we get to the holidays" tax.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 01:01:31 AM »
newsflash:  You live in NoVa, traffic is nasty around every shopping center and any significant travel route.  Holiday traffic hasn't even started yet.

Chris

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 04:28:41 AM »
Something tells me that Mikey is one of those folks who walks into Wally World on November 15th, sees the holiday crap, hears the holiday crap, and commences with a screamfest at the manager over the spirit of the season...

Most music these days is mastered for radio or download. Which means heavy compression. Which means it sounds like crap.

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 08:21:14 AM »
You have reading comprehension problems, Chris?

Note how I said "the closer we get to the holidays"?

Not "Now that we're in the holiday season"?

You forget one thing.

I've lived in DC metro for 16 years, and in Northern Virginia for 13 years.

I also commuted the Route 7 corridor, at various times over those 16 years, every working day for nearly 7 years total over that time, both in the early 1990s and recently, as well.

I know EXACTLY what traffic is like in this area, and I know EXACTLY what happens to the traffic patterns on Route 7 the deeper we get into the year.

I hate to tell you this, but it's a steady build up through the end of the year after the summer season is over.

Traffic on Route 7 will continue to build, and get worse, especially on the weekends, throughout the end of the year.

16 years ago you were what, worrying about puberty and pimples? Well, OK, you still are...  cheesy

But, since you're so enamored with the Tower Records on Route 7, please be a good boy, run down there, and pick me up a copy of the album.

I'll just go to the Tower at Fairfax Town Center out in Penderbrook.

Didn't know about that one, did you?  grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »
Something tells me that Mikey is one of those folks who walks into Wally World on November 15th, sees the holiday crap, hears the holiday crap, and commences with a screamfest at the manager over the spirit of the season...

Most music these days is mastered for radio or download. Which means heavy compression. Which means it sounds like crap.

You need something else to tell you something.

Whatever is telling you what you think you know is wrong.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 08:56:39 AM »
I know EXACTLY what traffic is like in this area, and I know EXACTLY what happens to the traffic patterns on Route 7 the deeper we get into the year.
I hate to tell you this, but it's a steady build up through the end of the year after the summer season is over.
Traffic on Route 7 will continue to build, and get worse, especially on the weekends, throughout the end of the year.
I'll just go to the Tower at Fairfax Town Center out in Penderbrook.
Didn't know about that one, did you?  grin
I've only been here 10 years, 6 of that working in the very area you claim expertise on.  I have no clue what traffic is like. Tongue

I've actually shopped at the Fairfax Tower more than the Tysons one.  Traffic's just as bad around it as it is around the Tyson's one and I think you're closer to the one in Tysons. Smiley

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 09:16:47 AM »
Wouldn't want you to think I wasn't aware of ALL the Tower Record sites in Va...

20F 6200 Little River Turnpike (Duke St.)
Alexandria, VA 22312
(703) 256-2500

1601 Willow Lawn Drive #304 B
Richmond, VA 23230
804-673-6424

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 09:22:57 AM »
Hey, Mikester...

Grin for a moment. It's a Good Thing...

Yesterday afternoon, I approached the manager of my local wally world, and asked the nice fellow where the Easter display was... I do NOT think he was amused...

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47:19 AM »
"Claim expertise on."

Yep, reading comprehension problems. Nowhere did I claim expertise. Only a slate of knowledge stretching back neary 13 years.

Yeah, working in the AREA, Chris.

I worked in the AREA of your office, to. I occasionally got down your way trying to find a back road to escape route 7, but I certainly didn't get that way every day.

To understand it, you actually have to travel it.

Given that your office is on 123, and you head for what, 495, most days, how often have you actually driven Route 7 WEST of 123, heading east.

As I said, I did every day for nearly 7 years, and traffic gets markedly worse along the whole Route 7 corridor the closer we get to the holidays. I'm not just imagining it, either. It's been written up in the Times, the Post, and a number of local newspapers over the years.

"Traffic's just as bad around it as it is around the Tyson's one..."

You are definitely smoking something. Traffic around the Town Commons is heavy, but it's not nearly as bad as the Route 7 corridor.

You can actually get onto Monument, West Ox, and 50 in a timely fashion. With the shops, car dealerships, service road along side Route 7, and multiway traffic on both the service road and 7, you can find yourself locked in a no-win situation for an amazing amount of time. In that area there are also no viable alternate routes. There's Gosnell, but that's often backed up solid from 7 all the way up to 123. You can swing up Westpark or Tyco, but that doesn't do you a lot of good as they both feed into International, which takes you either back to Route 7, or to the aforementioned 123.

Last year, because of a bad accident on 495 and a thunderstorm, the whole Tysons area was a freakshow. In order to get home I had to head west on 7 to Lewinsville, head towards McLean, swing down Idylwood, and cut through to Cedar. All to avoid Route 7.

Route 7 is a corridor. If you look at a map, you'll see that until you get inside 123 and down towards 495, you have hardly any cross routes. That's why the area is such an incredible bitch. The mall, 66, and the Dulles Toll Road have destroyed most of the cross routes that used to exist. With them gone, once you're in the funnel, you're toast.

And, given that since the early 1990s nearly 50,000 new houses have gone in along the Route 7 corridor... You do the math.

Around Christmas time, if there's even a hint of snow, or a drop of rain, it can take an hour to go from the Tower to 123, a monumental drive of less than 1.5 miles...

So did you get me my CD or not?

I'm trade you. Cubanel (no Jalapenos, sorry) corn bread and Cider Spice Cake for it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 11:48:07 AM »
Hey, Mikester...

Grin for a moment. It's a Good Thing...

What makes you think I'm not grinning?

See?

All teeth...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 12:15:06 PM »
To understand it, you actually have to travel it.
Given that your office is on 123, and you head for what, 495, most days, how often have you actually driven Route 7 WEST of 123, heading east.

Prior to moving out to Manassas, I lived in Ashburn and traveled to Tysons via Rt7 daily.  Sure, I took the toll road from time to time, but it sucks as much as Rt7 and I had to pay the toll for that abuse.

You can actually get onto Monument, West Ox, and 50 in a timely fashion. With the shops, car dealerships, service road along side Route 7, and multiway traffic on both the service road and 7, you can find yourself locked in a no-win situation for an amazing amount of time.

I can get from the Post Office off of Tyco (I think that's the street) to the shopping center in question in about 10-15 minutes during lunch on a workday.  I've done it frequently.  Traffic's heavy, but it moves.

As for the area around Fairfax Town Center, it took me a good 20 minutes to travel from the shopping center where REI is located to Fairfax Town Center the other afternoon.  That's about the same distance as mentioned above.

Traffic sucks, but it sucks everywhere around here.  Rather than throw my hands up in frustration, I slip a Dire Straits CD in and drive (had to get back on topic).  I eventually get where I'm going.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 08:41:54 PM »
I gave you cake.

I gave you corn bread.

Did you give me a Dire Straits CD?

Welscher.

Trust me on this, Chris.

Had you regularly traveled Route 7 in the early 1990s, as compared to when you were in Ashburn, you'd think that you were traveling in another world.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 02:03:28 AM »
I gave you cake.
I gave you corn bread.
Did you give me a Dire Straits CD?
Welscher.
I gave you chicken enchiladas and a toddler butt whoopin' instead.  Cheesy
I could've given you a CD, but you would've gone home hungry.  The TBW was free.

Chris

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 08:37:40 AM »
We saw Dire Straits at Red Rocks Amphitheatre during their Brothers in Arms Tour.  What a show!  I can't believe it was 20 years ago.

I need to get that CD.