Author Topic: On People's Priorities  (Read 1285 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On People's Priorities
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
So my dad got a call from one of his tenants. The tenant gave him the rent check yesterday (late). Today he called my dad asking him if he couldn't wait a week to deposit it. Why? He just bought $1500 of football gear for his 8 year old son. Also they're going to Disneyland this weekend. So yeah, that roof over your head shouldn't be a higher priority than that stuff, right? At least the guy was honest I guess.

While griping to me, my dad told me this guy is always complaining about how he wishes he had the money to buy a house.  :laugh:

Of course the guy called my dad right after he deposited the check, so an extra trip into town after the check bounces. They really need to have some kind of mandatory "basic life skills and common sense" classes in High School.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
Re: On People's Priorities
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
"They really need to have some kind of mandatory "basic life skills and common sense" classes in High School."

The DemoProgs would never, ever stand for that.  Too much edumacation is bad for control.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 06:25:11 PM »
This.....this *expletive deleted*it is why I have no interest in ever being a landlord....

Kids hospital bill, car broke, hell dog needed the emergency vet....ok sure if otherwise good tenants.

But some *expletive deleted*it like that there's no way my response would have been, ahem, subtle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »
On the bright side, a football helmet will keep the rain off your head if you have to live in the woods.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
This.....this *expletive deleted*it is why I have no interest in ever being a landlord....

Kids hospital bill, car broke, hell dog needed the emergency vet....ok sure if otherwise good tenants.

But some *expletive deleted*it like that there's no way my response would have been, ahem, subtle.

Same here.  Many times I've been where I could have purchased a rental, then figured the tenants wouldn't stick around long after I called them on their BS.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »
Having helped clean up some apartments after angry tenants moved out...

I don't think the BS about why someone's rent is not paid on time is likely to be the worst part of being landlord.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »
So my dad got a call from one of his tenants. The tenant gave him the rent check yesterday (late). Today he called my dad asking him if he couldn't wait a week to deposit it. Why? He just bought $1500 of football gear for his 8 year old son. Also they're going to Disneyland this weekend. So yeah, that roof over your head shouldn't be a higher priority than that stuff, right? At least the guy was honest I guess.

8 year old getting that much in football gear?  Even here, they only play flag until at least junior high.

Disneyland, I can see; that may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for the kid, and probably planned months in advance.  Then some unexpected expense comes up, and you don't want to be explaining to a kid that age why you're not going on the promised trip.  OTOH, choosing between football gear and Disney for this year might be a better plan than spending the rent.

Still, the thing to do would have been to ask in advance if he could post date the check by a week.  Assuming he normally makes a better effort to pay on time, I think most of the landlords I've had would work with him on it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 07:17:10 PM »
I thought about buying rental property when I was I my late 30's.  Fortunately a good friend who was a realtor talked me out of it.  He said I was not ruthless enough to be a landlord.  So, I didn't get involved.  Glad I didn't.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »
I was actually pretty lucky in my 25 or so years of landlording. I think I had two tenants that screwed me for both rent and significant damage (one of them turned the bathtub on and moved without saying anything). Then I was screwed out of some rent a few more times after that, and of course the trips to the dump when tenants moved out and left half their crap behind.

Otherwise, most of my tenants were long term and took care of things. Of course I generally charged a bit under market rents and had a "don't bother me and I won't bother you" policy, which seemed to encourage the tenants to both stay longer and take care of little stuff on their own.

Same with my dad, though he's been doing it for over 50 years, and I've been slowly getting him to sell his rentals and get out of it. He just has two left now. The last rental house he sold, the tenant was furious at having to vacate and left a big mess. Not to mention purple walls and other crap that yours truly had to take care of. On the bright side, I found a decent sized pill stash behind the oven vent. Don't know what they were, other than most likely illegal, but I had a big smile on my face when I flushed them down the toilet.  =D

It was good to do when I was younger and getting good tax breaks, etc., but now I just don't have the patience for it anymore, especially with how CA is going on regulation. It's just way easier to keep the money in Vanguard and take dividends instead of rent. Kind of going Galt out of rentals. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »

Disneyland, I can see; that may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for the kid, and probably planned months in advance.

Not really. Disneyland is only a few hours away from them. They seem to go all the time.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
Not to mention purple walls and other crap that yours truly had to take care of.

Last landlord included a couple cans of paint (that he'd picked up at deep discount prices) with each rental and encouraged tenants to paint the walls however they wanted.  I think he figured with the number of stoners and/or college kids that would do it anyway, he might as well advertise "make it your own" as a feature.

I painted over the murals from 2-3 tenants back, and went with a reasonably subtle Alamo at sunrise silhouette on the same dark green that had been there before.

Not really. Disneyland is only a few hours away from them. They seem to go all the time.

That's a bit different, then, though I'd likely still take into consideration if it's a special occasion other than just something to do before school starts.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »
I'm related to one of those.  Back when my mother died, my brother and I each inherited $15K from an insurance policy, and another $60K or so after the estate closed.   Brother and SIL were entering the foreclosure process on their house.  What to do with the money...they spent $18K on a deck and patio on that house, and another $10K on a trip to Orlando and the amusement parks.  Yeah, they lost the house,  but the new owner has a really nice deck.  (Insert joke about SILs nicole tattoo here, it's probably true.)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
I'm related to one of those.  Back when my mother died, my brother and I each inherited $15K from an insurance policy, and another $60K or so after the estate closed.   Brother and SIL were entering the foreclosure process on their house.  What to do with the money...they spent $18K on a deck and patio on that house, and another $10K on a trip to Orlando and the amusement parks.  Yeah, they lost the house,  but the new owner has a really nice deck.  (Insert joke about SILs nicole tattoo here, it's probably true.)

Watch any of the repo guy vlogs on YouTube and count how many cars they pick up with aftermarket rims and stereos that cost enough to pay off the car.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 10:19:15 PM »
Watch any of the repo guy vlogs on YouTube and count how many cars they pick up with aftermarket rims and stereos that cost enough to pay off the car.

It always amazes me, when I drive through the bad part of town, how many vehicles have rims that cost about five times what I would consider prudent, or even luxurious, for myself.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 11:33:41 PM »
Sometimes I think I am too impulsive on buying new guns.  Then I hear stories like this and realize my impulsiveness is minor.  I can pay my bills.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 07:01:38 AM »
I'm related to one of those.  Back when my mother died, my brother and I each inherited $15K from an insurance policy, and another $60K or so after the estate closed.   Brother and SIL were entering the foreclosure process on their house.  What to do with the money...they spent $18K on a deck and patio on that house, and another $10K on a trip to Orlando and the amusement parks.  Yeah, they lost the house,  but the new owner has a really nice deck.  (Insert joke about SILs nicole tattoo here, it's probably true.)

How is your beloved sister in law these days?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Your stories about how your brother and SIL handle money are as shocking as they are saddening. Their money handling choices are just... well, there really aren't adequate descriptive terms.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
Sometimes I think I am too impulsive on buying new guns.  Then I hear stories like this and realize my impulsiveness is minor.  I can pay my bills.

BINGO.

I've impulse purchased many guns over the years. I often beat myself up about it, but at the end of the day, I'm funding my retirement savings, I pay all of my bills every month, I put additional money into my savings, and I have a nice cushion in case of emergencies.

I can buy a gun occasionally.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:08:37 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
BINGO.

I've impulse purchased many guns over the years. I often beat myself up about it, but at the end of the day, I'm funding my retirement savings, I pay all of my bills every money, I put additional money into my savings, and I have a nice cushion in case of emergencies.

I can buy a gun occasionally.

Bourgeoisie 1%'er.  you need to give back to the people that can't even afford a roof over their heads. Stop Hoarding wealth!*

*Did I get that right?  I'm practicing to fit in on the next in-law visit. =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 10:12:37 AM »
Bourgeoisie 1%'er.  you need to give back to the people that can't even afford a roof over their heads. Stop Hoarding wealth!*

I've thoroughly examined my privilege.

It's pretty *expletive deleted*ing awesome.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »

Of course the guy called my dad right after he deposited the check, so an extra trip into town after the check bounces. They really need to have some kind of mandatory "basic life skills and common sense" classes in High School.

They used to. It was called Home Economics.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
Home Economics AND Civics.

I had to take both in my high school.

We had to do things in Civics like balance checkbooks and do tax returns.

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: On People's Priorities
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
They used to. It was called Home Economics.

Brad
All I did in home ec was learn how to make a whale pillow.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Re: On People's Priorities
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
All I did in home ec was learn how to make a whale pillow.

Why would a whale need a pillow?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Re: On People's Priorities
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »
Why would a whale need a pillow?

Brad
Cause using home ec to teach anything useful would have been to complicated