Author Topic: How old are you? 6 ÷ 2 X (2+1) = ?  (Read 2428 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
How old are you? 6 ÷ 2 X (2+1) = ?
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
I evaluated it as 1.

Apparently, the correct modern answer is 9.

I guess it depends on how old you are.

To me, the 2 X (2+1) should be evaluated first as a stand-alone quantity with known values.  Not so, by modern conventions on the order of mathematical operations.

I could see the "answer" of 9 if it were written (6 ÷ 2) X (2 + 1), but not otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcUvFIUIhQ

Terry

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:32:56 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: How old are you? 6 ÷ 2 X (2+1) = ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
X = 6 ÷ 2 x (2 + 1)
X = 6 ÷ 2 x 3
X = 3 x 3
X = 9

Stand-alone exponents, then operations in parenthesis, then parenthetical exponents, then multiply/divide operations from left to right, then add/subtract operations left to right. Or at least that's how I learned it for when the equation doesn't clearly separate operations.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
I came up with 9 immediately, too.

Parenthesis first, then division and multiplication are done in sequence. (As Brad illustrated, including the rest of the rules as I was taught.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
PEMDAS!

And the answer I got is that math is an oppressive means for the privileged patriarchy to keep women and PoCs trapped in a whitemansplaining cycle where their voices are neither heard nor respected. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:20:31 PM »
9, unless the Rules of Order of Operations has been repealed/changed. If that is the case, there is a metric butt-ton of books that need rewriting and the old ones destroyed lest someone get confused and crash a spacecraft.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »
9 given the established (establishment  >:D) ordering rules.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
If "you" get an answer of 9, "you're" young?

Cool!  Here I'd thought being >60yr I was at least bordering on old.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »
I think going to the parentheses first had me doing the second part right to left without thinking about it.  I am thinking left to right was the way I was taught but it has been a while.  My engineering side says it needs another set of parentheses. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »
I think going to the parentheses first had me doing the second part right to left without thinking about it.  I am thinking left to right was the way I was taught but it has been a while.  My engineering side says it needs another set of parentheses.  

Your engineering side is correct. If the equation is so unclear it causes operation errors due to subjective interpretation, it needs to be re-written.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »
9 is what I got as well.  Well, after I realized that the "X" in this case meant "multiply" and not "unknown variable.  where I was getting "1/x"

Brad posted the rules. 

More iffy would be:

6 ÷ 2(2+1)

To me, the lack of a separate multiplication symbol ties the 2 to the parenthesis more.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »
I also thought it needed another level of parentheses, but I entered it into Excel just as written [ =6/2*(2+1) ] and hit ENTER expecting to get a result of ERR. To my surprise, I got ... 9.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 08:36:28 PM »
9 is what I got as well.  Well, after I realized that the "X" in this case meant "multiply" and not "unknown variable.  where I was getting "1/x"

Brad posted the rules. 

More iffy would be:

6 ÷ 2(2+1)

To me, the lack of a separate multiplication symbol ties the 2 to the parenthesis more.

The rules still remain the same.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
Your engineering side is correct. If the equation is so unclear it causes operation errors due to subjective interpretation, it needs to be re-written.

I have to disagree.  You posted the rules at the top of the thread.  Warren's link also sums it up nicely with examples.  It isn't immediately, intuitively obvious how this expression should be calculated.  Which is why these kind of articles are perpetual low hanging fruit for people that haven't done order of operations in a while.  But the rules are clear and there is no subjective interpretation.

-grouchy math major   =D

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 03:27:10 PM »
I have to disagree.  You posted the rules at the top of the thread.  Warren's link also sums it up nicely with examples. It isn't immediately, intuitively obvious how this expression should be calculated. Which is why these kind of articles are perpetual low hanging fruit for people that haven't done order of operations in a while.  But the rules are clear and there is no subjective interpretation.

-grouchy math major   =D

You've disagreed with your disagreement.  ;)

Just because the equation can ultimately be solved properly doesn't make it any less sloppily written.

Brad
-HankB

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »
Why do you consider it sloppily written?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »

See the bolded section of the quote above.

Brad
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 08:11:01 PM »
See the bolded section of the quote above.

Brad

How is it not immediately, intuitively obvious? PEMDAS.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
How is it not immediately, intuitively obvious? PEMDAS.

Agreed, but I would leave out the word "intuitively".  Intuition is inappropriate when there is established procedure: PEMDAS.

Leftys use intuition.  "Well, it seems to me that if we... (BS feeling to follow)"  Smart people use procedure, logic, and process.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
PEMDAS BOOT: The story of a German U-boat saved from certain doom because of the crew using the proper order of operations to plot a solution when trapped by enemies off the coast of Algebrazil. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »
If I were to write it as a chemical plant operating procedure, you generally set it up to remove all doubt of how the numbers are to be calculated.  Remove the risk of using the incorrect order of operations by adding extra parenthesis.  This is a bit beyond just doing a math problem.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
Fully agree. ^^^^

There are times when you need to dumb it down for safety.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »
I think going to the parentheses first had me doing the second part right to left without thinking about it.  I am thinking left to right was the way I was taught but it has been a while.  My engineering side says it needs another set of parentheses.  

Pretty much ditto.  That's the same way I saw it.  It's just a different logical (yay, huzzah) way of looking at it.  Apparently the problem (and I'm sure, other examples) was sufficiently broad at one point in time (and perhaps even now) that somebody had to standardize the PEMBRAS acronym as the least likely "logic" in terms of mathematical heirarchy to cause errors.

In fact, the author of my posted link  (OP) mentions that a great many pro/con comments have been made on social media, and somewhere in that link he refers to the "old" methods, which is why I set it up as a "how old are you" premise.

In other words, what seems "logical" to one set of people (PEMBRAS folks) is not so logical to others, who have insultingly been called leftist-intuitive folks.

Anyhow, you can't have too many parentheses to establish heirarchy, in this old guy's old opinion.  I mean, you know, they don't cost all that much.

But yeah, OK, 9 it is.

(Terry) (230) (R) (N) ( :) )

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 07:31:24 PM »
1. 9 +2 x 5 -11

2. (3+4) x (4-3)

3. 14 x (15-7+4)

4. 12 ÷ 2 +9 x 6

5. 18 ÷(3 x6 -9) x 3

6. 3+4 x 4-3

7. 16 ÷ 8 + 2x5 -21 ÷7

8. (18 ÷3 +28 ÷4 +2 x 4)÷3

9.  2+15 ÷3 -2 x 3+ 10

10.  3x (24 ÷2 -3 x 4 +2x6)

Answer Key (use mouse to highlight it to see it)

1. 8   2. 7   3. 168   4. 60   5. 6   6. 16   7. 9   8. 7   9. 11   10. 36   

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »
I donated these to APS for free:

(((((( ((((((((( (((((((((((((( (((((((((((
))))))))))) ))))))))))) )))))))))))) ))))))

I see Warren's already used three pair.

Whenyou run out, let me know.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
Fully agree. ^^^^

There are times when you need to dumb it down for safety.

Incidentally, I just realized how come I'm kinda fixated on parentheses.

Years ago in the mid-1980s I got a pair of programmable Sharp calculators (see below) to do routine very complex calculations where I worked.  Those things were "dumb" in that sense and  I had to really work out the sequence of operations with a lot of parentheses.

I remember the Pres of the company on one of his routine checks around the plant wondering what I was doing with those calculators as I punched in numbers.

He wanted the chief scientist to laboriously check my answers "by hand," meaning on one of the clunky Friden mechanical calculators because he didn't trust the idea that a "programmable" 'lectronic hand calculator could handle those complex equations.  His results agreed 100% with mine and the Pres let me continue with my Sharp calculators.

Hence my reliance on parentheses and why I started that initial calculation in the OP from the parentheses.

I still have both of them, but they're retired in a desk drawer.

FYI, these were Sharp EL-5100 and EL-5101 Scientific Calculators and were the cat's meow for the time.

Or maybe the cat's pajamas, I forget after nearly forty years.

Terry, 230RN

ETA Here ya go:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:54:32 PM by 230RN »