Author Topic: Flexible inspection cameras  (Read 3159 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Flexible inspection cameras
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Digging into the walls in my Mom's house is always a challenge because it is so damned difficult to identify what has gone where over the years.

I'm looking for a decent quality, relatively inexpensive, inspection camera with a flexible shaft, and adequate quality display. I don't need to read a book if I find one in the walls, I just need to know it's there.

Solar Eclipse makes several models that are from the $60 range and up. They seem to get decent reviews on Amazon.

Royobi makes one that is $99 that they sell through Home Depot. Lowes carries something similar from General Tools & Instruments...

I'm not going to need this often, but it's a nice tool to have when you do need it.

Any thoughs on what you have/have used?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Flexible inspection cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »
I've looked at the Ryobi one but don't really have a need. But if I was looking for one I think a small enough camera head to go into rifle bores and sparkplug holes would be a worthwhile consideration.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
I've looked at the Ryobi one but don't really have a need. But if I was looking for one I think a small enough camera head to go into rifle bores and sparkplug holes would be a worthwhile consideration.

I had the same thought... But once you start shrinking the camera and adjusting the focal point to make it really usable as a bore scope the price goes up DRAMATICALLY.

You can, however, get things like this that hook into your laptop or PC:

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Inspection-Microscope-Endoscope-Borescope/dp/B007ROP3FO

But that's not what I want, I want one with a display right on it so I don't have to either carry a laptop around or run to the computer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:24:29 AM »
At home colonoscopy.Who knew?

If your insurance wont pay for it,do it yourself.
You could even organize Tupperware/colonoscopy/whiskey sampling parties.
Hmmm.
jeff w

I like onions!

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
The Tupperware part of that bothers me.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »
http://www.grainger.com/product/GENERAL-High-Performance-Video-Borescope-8D202?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/8D202_AS02?$smthumb$

We have one similar to if not this exact model here at work that we use from time to time to look into valve bodies and such.  Works quite well and you can take pictures or video and save to a SD card for play back on your puter.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »

Apologies, only ones I used were for aircraft inspection and were hideously expensive.
From what the rep said, price goes up if you want a longer reach or if you want higher end optics.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »
"We have one similar to if not this exact model here at work..."

That's only about $1,100 more than I want to spend, and more than what I have to spend.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 12:30:27 PM »

That's only about $1,100 more than I want to spend, and more than what I have to spend.
Better? http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »
Getting there.

Given the choice between Bosch and Harbor Freight, though...

lupinus

• friends
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »

Just giving you an idea as to where you could go with it. [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
Getting there.

Given the choice between Bosch and Harbor Freight, though...

Honestly?  This is the kind of thing I would go with HF on.  Not a hard use tool.  They are both using generic COTS Chinese digital camera sensors and pcb's inside.  The Bosch is more expensive, has a proprietary battery you would need to run a charger for and is probably harder to return if it does break.

HF uses AA's and you can take it right back to the store and replace it if it goes tits up.  Not to mention you could almost buy 3 for what the Bosch costs.

Neither of those tools has what you'd call good optics.  Good optics in borescopes start at about $1000. As long as the HF camera is small enough to fit in the holes you want to stick it in, it'll most likely be fine.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
As long as the HF camera is small enough to fit in the holes you want to stick it in, it'll most likely be fine.

That's what she said.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Bigjake

• friend

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
The harbor freight one is good. I have it and like it.

Reminds me I need to get one for work, too. Use the one at home too much to keep it at work.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 11:07:25 PM »
What's the outer head diameter of the HF one?   I wonder if I could use it as a cheap bore/chamber inspection camera.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 08:40:28 AM »
Actually, dogmush, you make some very good points, ones that I'd not though about.

I'm thinking I should reconsider one of the HF cameras.

" Not to mention you could almost buy 3 for what the Bosch costs."

You're looking at the wrong camera at Home Depot.

The one I was looking at is this one...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Tek4-Digital-Inspection-Scope-RP4206/202223756

It's a Royobi, and is about the same price as the ones at Harbor Freight.

The issue with the Royobi, though, is it's got a 9mm head on it, which means that I'd need a hole pushing half an inch in the wall. The ones at Harbor Freight are just a tiny big smaller...

The really stupid thing is that for a lot of the cameras I'm finding they're not giving the diameter of the damned camera head. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:42:18 AM by Mike Irwin »

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »

The really stupid thing is that for a lot of the cameras I'm finding they're not giving the diameter of the damned camera head. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

....You hang out around here and that's the stupidest thing you've ever heard of?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »
....You hang out around here and that's the stupidest thing you've ever heard of?

No kidding.
"Home colonoscopy".Really? ;)
jeff w

I like onions!