Author Topic: ...and again, and again... (Empire State Building Shooting)  (Read 14907 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: ...and again, and again... (Empire State Building Shooting)
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
Possibly less investing by NYPD in UAVs and other "cool mil-tech" and more investment in the equivalent of "Defensive Pistol 1" training that many CCW holders take and that is apparently superior to NYPD basic pistol training.

But they are clearly too professional for basic pistol courses. "Defensive Pistol 1"..pfff  ;/

Maybe if you called it "Advanced Tactical Course: Hit what you are shooting at- For LE only" it might generate interest
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
But they are clearly too professional for basic pistol courses. "Defensive Pistol 1"..pfff  ;/

Maybe if you called it "Advanced Tactical Course: Hit what you are shooting at- For LE only" it might generate interest

I took that course, and it was lame. Until you train by big boy rules, you will never be a Tetragrammaton Cleric.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
I dunno, but it seems at that close a range ("arms length" as described by the NYPD) it might have been better to charge the guy and take him down without shooting  ???  =|

It ain't that I'm sorry that they killed the shooter, either  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
First do no harm.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
First do no harm.

No no no.  First comes officer safety.  Get it right, subject.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

La la la... I can't hear you over the 9-11 in the air...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »
Possibly less investing by NYPD in UAVs and other "cool mil-tech" and more investment in the equivalent of "Defensive Pistol 1" training that many CCW holders take and that is apparently superior to NYPD basic pistol training.
Hell, a lot of CHL shooters I see are doing good to hit the sillouette at 7 yards.  There are always some who rarely shoot and you might not want them shooting at more thana few feet. 

What the cops need is a little bit of good instruction and a lot of practice.  But, I agree with you in that they are spending a lot on high tech and need to put a little focus back on basic skills.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »
1. I hope I get as much consideration from the gov't as these officers are getting if I ever am in such a fight and third-parties are injured.

2. It is not just street cops that seem lacking in software, even as they get more hardware.  I've seen lotsa SWAT teams do things that indicate their level of training is not very high.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
Did one of the officers get all the hits, and the other all the misses  ???

=|

a lot of CHL shooters I see are doing good to hit the sillouette at 7 yards

I think even I could hit at five feet  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
Hell, a lot of CHL shooters I see are doing good to hit the sillouette at 7 yards.  There are always some who rarely shoot and you might not want them shooting at more thana few feet. 

Oh I agree -- too many CHL holders get their license and never practice, or just shoot paper and never get off the "X". Even the most basic defensive pistol course is pretty eye opening if all you've ever done before is shoot paper, whether private citizen or police.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Oh I agree -- too many CHL holders get their license and never practice, or just shoot paper and never get off the "X". Even the most basic defensive pistol course is pretty eye opening if all you've ever done before is shoot paper, whether private citizen or police.

Just adding a stupid timer while shooting at X's is enough to mess with your head.  Then try shooting metal plates with a timer.  [note to self: buy a shot timer next time I order gun stuff]

BTW, if all your shots go in the X ring, you're shooting too slow (not that I have that problem anyway).  I try to just shoot as fast as I can keep all the shots on a paper plate, and I need to practice this a lot more often (and at different distances, and with the wrong hand, etc.)

"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
No sense wasting a perfectly good target by just shooting it in one place  ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
The problem is that I don't know if people buy cheap guns because they can't afford better guns or if they are getting the cheapest semi-auto they can to avoid the Texas revolver/semi-auto rules.  I have seen people show up with Hi Points or cheap guns right out of the box with no oil.  After shooting, you see targets that have so few holes, I can only assume the people are closing their eyes.  You could just point the gun without sights and pass the shooting test in Texas. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
  [note to self: buy a shot timer next time I order gun stuff]

Got am Android phone?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
 You could just point the gun without sights and pass the shooting test in Texas.  

Looks like at least one or two NYPD officers took and passed that same test
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »
Got am Android phone?

Nope.  I've got about the dumbest phone you can get that has a full keyboard, and a Virgin pay-by-the-minute voice/text only plan.
"It's good, though..."

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2012, 12:17:26 AM »
Nope.  I've got about the dumbest phone you can get that has a full keyboard, and a Virgin pay-by-the-minute voice/text only plan.

Your phone has a virgins voice. Cool
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »
Did one of the officers get all the hits, and the other all the misses  ???

My guess on that would be yes.

After watching the video multiple times at full-screen, it appeared to me that the officer closer to the subject (the officer to the left on the screen) was a left-hander and fired two-handed in a fairly classic Weaver stance. The other officer was scooting away from the subject, moving rapidly and at a diagonal away from his target, and firing one-handed while moving rapidly away from his target.

What's your best guess as to which one was more likely to have "scored" multiple misses?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
I don't disagree with any cop wanting to get home safely.

It cannot be accomplished, though, by breaking the law, or at the expense of any citizen's rights.

It also cannot be used in defense of overzealous behavior or bad decisions.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »
Well, it should not... but often times is.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2012/08/one-of-nypds-finest-sounds-off-on.html

:facepalm:

Basically, most cops over the last 30-40 years have been outsiders from the Gun Culture.  Or rather, the Gun Culture has foregone the law enforcement / peace officer profession, compelling departments to hire from outside the Gun Culture.

It is one of my greatest joys to put a handgun into a new shooter's hands, build basic safe handling skills, effective marksmanship, and competent draw and movement techniques... and then tell them if they practice this just a few times more until they get muscle memory, they'll be more proficient than 90% of the police in the entire world.  The look in their eyes is priceless.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!